The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

HMV really are the worst. It's a wonder anyone's ever bought anime from there. I think they just try and prey on the suckas who don't know how to use the internet. You'd think most anime fans probably would be internet savvy though, so it's wonder they sell any. Mind you, it wasn't too long ago I was in the "I like anime but don't buy off the internet" camp...HMV took me for every penny I had...

vashdaman said:
HMV really are the worst. It's a wonder anyone's ever bought anime from there. I think they just try and prey on the suckas who don't know how to use the internet. You'd think most anime fans probably would be internet savvy though, so it's wonder they sell any. Mind you, it wasn't too long ago I was in the "I like anime but don't buy off the internet" camp...HMV took me for every penny I had...

They are better now, some of the prices actually match their website, but in general I only shop there when I have vouchers. Otherwise you'd be mad to buy anywhere but the internet.

Well, that's me told. I'd seen you mention MVC in posts here before, hence going with that...

Just a good guess on my part given how mad I used to get at HMV for not adjusting their over the top prices, and to be fair Virgin/Zavvi did the same back when they were around.

vashdaman said:
I don't mind shopping from HMV, I don't expect prices to be the same. They're more likely to get a purchase from me as long as I don't think they'll be over £5 cheaper elsewhere.

I decided not to do a major news post for this just yet, so if any of the rest of the news team want to swoop in, please go ahead. But it saddens me to say that the original author of Barefoot Gen, Keiji Nakazawa, passed away on the 19th. No service was held. Sad times, and not the best news for christmas day, but the man deserves all the respect he got for his works.

Source

Listings on Amazon.com have revealed that Viz Media will be releasing the much wanted Ruby/Sapphire arc of Pokèmon Adventures from 5th March 2013. Unlike with the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Black/White arcs, they won't be printing it as a separate series - instead it will continue from volume 15, like the original Japanese release.

Here's a different retailer with a picture.

A news story has come about concerning the most searched things on Wikipedia this year. In Japan five of the top ten articles were anime series, these being One Piece (4th), Sword Art Online (7th), Kuroko's Basketball (8th), Neon Genesis Evangelion (9th) and Jojo's Bizarre Adventures (10th).

Other anime related articles include:

20th - Axel World
24th - Hunter x Hunter
25th - Fate/Zero
37th - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
50th - Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
54th - Naruto (article on the character)
57th - Gintama
60th - Fate/Stay Night
69th - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
77th - Bakemonogatari
83th - Inu x Boku SS
85th - Detective Conan
87th - Hyōka
91th - Bleach

The most searched Wikipedia article in Japan was about what the BBC website calls "entry for adult video actresses".

Source

If you check out Aniplex' teaser site for Persona 3 film it was set to do, it now has piece of key image art and now shows "Persona 3 the movie #1" to come to theatres in 2013. This likely could indicate that it will be set over multiple films, instead of just the one like people had thought previously.

Aniplex' teaser site: http://www.p3m.jp/

This is a relief actually, as if it was one film, it was going to flop, badly. This will at least give it a chance of working out well.

Ian Wolf said:
A news story has come about concerning the most searched things on Wikipedia this year. In Japan five of the top ten articles were anime series, these being One Piece (4th), Sword Art Online (7th)
JUST ANNOUNCE SEASON 2 ALREADY!!!

The most searched Wikipedia article in Japan was about what the BBC website calls "entry for adult video actresses".

Source
Oh my!

According to this article David S. Goyer is helming the live action adaptation of Hellsing which is beginning shooting in early 2013. This is the first I recall hearing of this adaptation, can't say I'm particularly excited by any of the names attached...In fact, other than Goyer I have no idea who anyone else is, the article even claims that the lead/scriptwriter for Hellsing is rumoured to be playing Morbius in the Spider-Man sequel, again that's another first to me. As far as I'm aware it's Jamie Foxx as Electro and that's it.

Back