The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

At this point, I don't think I can really harbour any animosity towards Jerome. He gets to work with anime for a living and tell people who annoy him to f*ck off - He's basically living the dream.

Joshawott said:
Discotek have licensed Mazinger Z. The first set is due out towards the end of next year. They've also licensed the original 1973 Cutey Honey, which will be released next year.
Awesome. Awesome to the max.

Thank Arceus that the Steins;Gate movie isn't a recap xD.

2017513_201210070102557001349600432c.jpg

Also, here's a "Tiger & Bunny: The Rising" poster.

ayase said:
Joshawott said:
Discotek have licensed Mazinger Z. The first set is due out towards the end of next year. They've also licensed the original 1973 Cutey Honey, which will be released next year.
Awesome. Awesome to the max.
I guess the tones of cash, money and cash from GCCX helped in that endevour (Seriously, they sold out of the first run of that!)

Joshawott said:

That's excellent news - I did wonder if Discotek's releasing the original Lupin series might have been them testing the water for more '70s shows. I'll be particularly glad to get Cutey Honey, that's still my favourite version of her.

Professor Irony said:
Joshawott said:

That's excellent news - I did wonder if Discotek's releasing the original Lupin series might have been them testing the water for more '70s shows. I'll be particularly glad to get Cutey Honey, that's still my favourite version of her.
I had a feeling Discotek would release one of the big Go Nagai giant robot shows from the 70,s it was only a matter of time,i thought it would have been Getter Robo but heh Mazinger Z is a personal fave of mine so i,m happy but lets hope its the start of bigger things for Discotek and maybe other giant robot classics will be released,man if UFO Robot Grendizer ever got licensed i think i,d die from excitement,i also wish Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z Hen would get picked up by someone that series totally blew my socks off,Baron Ashura stole the show on every level.

I assume we're not getting all of the extras, just the special insert booklets (not that I'd want drama CDs involving the dub cast at all in the first place...). That sounds nice though overall, and there is an argument for having a greater number of lower priced volumes for series with more mainstream appeal, to get people to bite. I like that they're experimenting with release patterns instead of copying Manga UK's unrealistic "let's sell volume one as a 12-13 episode set, then suddenly cancel the rest!" BD sales model.

R

Yeah, MangaUK and Kazé specifically said around 2 booklets per release.

Also. MangaUK are going to be sniffing around for A Certain Magical Index and someone else has the license for the Mass Effect movie.

A 12-page booklet? Those had better be 12 damn good pages :p

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of volume releases at all so this will depend completely on the pricing. Persona 4's first volume is currently a quite reasonable £17.99 on Play.com,so something at around £14-15 (since it's 4 rather than 3 volumes)would tempt me. I'm expecting more around £20-22 though, so I'll probably wait for a complete BD release later on down the line.

I haven't seen the series but was considering giving the series a purchase anyway. I'm expecting this to be charged at the regular Manga 12 episode prices though i'm hoping it'll be slightly lower. And what exactly are these 'Monthly Hero' books?

reborn said:
And what exactly are these 'Monthly Hero' books?

In the Japanese edition, they're short paper booklets (the one I randomly pulled out just now to refer to was 12 pages) which contain staff interviews, character profiles and illustrations etc. They're formatted like collectable magazines, the kind of thing a fan of the heroes within the Tiger and Bunny universe would read. They're nothing world-changing but it's a nice little extra and something which rarely crosses over in this era of barebones releases.

R

Before anyone complains about Shana being DVD only...after the season 1 BDs, I'm glad. Still, I have FUNi's season 2 release preordered on RightStuf.

Back