The General Conversation Area

I just submitted my final year project report online, the rest can be sorted for Wednesday since they spaced it out this way to make room for printing etc.

I'm personally nervous about the mark because I need a 2.1 or more. If I end up with a 2.2 that's basically this entire third year wasted.

Suffer like Kazuma I guess.

It is done.

C-V4KjjW0AE6_Tw.jpg

wp9QYYi.jpg

I received my marks back for my Mobile Applications module.

The Presentation, worth 20%, was 65.75%. Pretty good, though we had last minutes issues with this one.
The Assignment, worth 80%, was 87.4%. I was expecting 70% at least but I had no idea we could go that high.

Overall I earned 83.03% aka 1st. This is one hell of an achievement, especially at final year terms.

I'm curious to know how others had fared because there are groups who looked better than ours. But my team's project had a more complicated software to tackle so we had the upper-hand for the programming marks.

W05BPcD.gif

I received my marks back for my Mobile Applications module.

The Presentation, worth 20%, was 65.75%. Pretty good, though we had last minutes issues with this one.
The Assignment, worth 80%, was 87.4%. I was expecting 70% at least but I had no idea we could go that high.

Overall I earned 83.03% aka 1st. This is one hell of an achievement, especially at final year terms.

I'm curious to know how others had fared because there are groups who looked better than ours. But my team's project had a more complicated software to tackle so we had the upper-hand for the programming marks.
Huzzah! Congratulations, sir. A well-earned result.

So because I spent way too much last week, my bank decided to block transactions because they think it's potentially fraud. I phoned them up and they told me they'll sort it all out, but also advised me to avoid making more orders until all of the pendings have gone through.

Amazon orders (Catherine, ZOTE), The Light cinema (when I saw Guardians 2 on Friday), eBay order (DBZ) and WOWHD (One Punch Man) got through today.

The Anime Limited order (Your Lie in April Part 2) sadly got denied, as verified by Jeremy via email.

PayPal seems to have accepted my other pending orders; eBay order (Shining Resonance), Play Asia (Macross 30) and just now the Laundry which I had to do because I need to clean my clothes.

I also have an incoming UP1 order that I want to pay off, but I may have to tell them to hold on to it to avoid that getting blocked as well.

As a result of this I'll be trying to take this week off from ordering any further unless all of the pending transactions get through okay. This is kinda annoying. Amazon orders were split because they took too long sorting it all out, The Light cinema had two payments because they told me at the till that it had to be card payment only when I was buying the popcorn, the Japanese games were split up because Solaris Japan ran out of stock for pretty much every single game I wanted. And that bank holiday didn't help either.

So because I spent way too much last week, my bank decided to block transactions because they think it's potentially fraud. I phoned them up and they told me they'll sort it all out, but also advised me to avoid making more orders until all of the pendings have gone through.

Amazon orders (Catherine, ZOTE), The Light cinema (when I saw Guardians 2 on Friday), eBay order (DBZ) and WOWHD (One Punch Man) got through today.

The Anime Limited order (Your Lie in April Part 2) sadly got denied, as verified by Jeremy via email.

PayPal seems to have accepted my other pending orders; eBay order (Shining Resonance), Play Asia (Macross 30) and just now the Laundry which I had to do because I need to clean my clothes.

I also have an incoming UP1 order that I want to pay off, but I may have to tell them to hold on to it to avoid that getting blocked as well.

As a result of this I'll be trying to take this week off from ordering any further unless all of the pending transactions get through okay. This is kinda annoying. Amazon orders were split because they took too long sorting it all out, The Light cinema had two payments because they told me at the till that it had to be card payment only when I was buying the popcorn, the Japanese games were split up because Solaris Japan ran out of stock for pretty much every single game I wanted. And that bank holiday didn't help either.
My bank never seem to put a fraud hold on my card despite my numerous erratic purchases, or even my trips to cinemas halfway across the country. Only ever had a fraud hold once - when I was buying an Xbox One in a local Argos.

My bank never seem to put a fraud hold on my card despite my numerous erratic purchases, or even my trips to cinemas halfway across the country. Only ever had a fraud hold once - when I was buying an Xbox One in a local Argos.

They also told me Play Asia was a potential trigger because its location is Hong Kong. Kinda bizarre.

My bank randomly blocks my card occasionally, often because I'm ordering from Japan. From suppliers I have used countless times before. I think most of my purchases on it are from people based in Japan ;p

Not as bad as my work credit card though, that sometimes gets blocked buying our regular work stuff from regular UK companies. Banks.

R

Nationwide have a moderately sensible fraud protection service which I quite like – if they think you're being defrauded, they'll bounce the transaction and then immediately text you. You can just reply to the text to get your account unblocked again, and just re-try the payment.

It's much better than the unholy amount of time my Dad had to spend on the phone to his bank trying to unblock his card due to daring to buy things on eBay, at least...

Nationwide have a moderately sensible fraud protection service which I quite like – if they think you're being defrauded, they'll bounce the transaction and then immediately text you. You can just reply to the text to get your account unblocked again, and just re-try the payment.

It's much better than the unholy amount of time my Dad had to spend on the phone to his bank trying to unblock his card due to daring to buy things on eBay, at least...

I mean, Barclays did the same to me, I replied to the text saying it wasn't fraudulent, they said try again in a few minutes and it was still blocked. Not sure if that was on Barclays or WOWHD. I'm probably just going to stick to PayPal for them, honestly.

It's still annoying, though - a certain online game with a notoriously bad customer support team will permanently ban you if you have a payment fail like that, and a substantial number of Japanese companies will block future orders as you're viewed as suspicious (and a nuisance) for failing the first payment. It would be nice to give the customer more control and allow them to create whitelists etc. Ironically none of the times I have actually suffered fraud were noticed!

R

NormanicGrav said:
Now there is something to celebrate! It looks like they weighted the marks to ensure that circumstantial hitches during the presentation wouldn't be of too great a bearing.

Plagiarism, I cry!

They also told me Play Asia was a potential trigger because its location is Hong Kong. Kinda bizarre.

the way the fraud systems work varies from bank to bank, but at least from my understanding of it, it's based predominantly on what is deemed usual activity for you. If you use website x frequent but then you buy something from website y in quick succession or some time later, then it could get flagged up. It can also be if there is recent fraud trends on specific websites. So i'm sure there was a time where a whole bunch of transactions to a mobile provider where blocked because of something that had happened and about 95% where all genuine.

Yeah basically it's not something you can exactly pinpoint down to one reason or the other, and at times it will hit at what feels like random, but there we go.

So I met a girl. From practically the very first moment we really clicked. I was so surprised, that usually never happens to me. She definitely seemed really interested in me, in some capacity at least. So we met again, and, perhaps foolishly, I'd convinced myself it was, for once in my life, a straight up old fashioned clear cut date (not that I don't know they aren't without their foibles and awkwardnesses). This is largely due to how enthusiastic about me she continued to seem in her messages and emails to me in the weeks before we met again. This vibe continued we when met, and we got on so well, and there were moments I thought we were flirting clearly.
We've met one more time, and the chemistry just seemed to be even better, we got on like a house on fire. There were moments during that last occasion when I could have sworn on my life that we were seriously flirting. I thought "if ever I've experienced flirting, this is it". But then by the end of day, I suddenly got a strong impression that I was totally mistaken, and she really likes me, but as a potential really good friend. She's such a wonderful person, I think she really goes all out for people she thinks might be great friends. She kept referring to me as a potential close friend and stuff, which is obviously really lovely, but it definitely took the sheen off my prior state of jubilance to say the least, and I was just trying to hide it. She was also asking me some slightly ambiguous questions that I couldn't really pin down, but one possible (and likely) interpretation of mine was that she was trying to check that I just simply liked her as a person rather than had romantic aspirations. Though I'm not quite sure how she could have possibly missed my uber keeness, but these things can happen I suppose

And I do indeed really like her simply as the wonderful human she is. But I'm also head over heels about her as well, in a romantic way.

I was thinking to just let things continue as they are, possibly for months, before I finally tell her in all clarity how I feel about her. But now I'm thinking, shouldn't I just be honest with her, and tell her how I feel the next time I see her? After all, I see no reason why we can't continue to be friends if she does reject me.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back