The General Conversation Area

I'm with Neil, whatever calendars and mums might say.

There does also seem to be a very real divide between people who, once a certain day of the week has passed, will refer to the next day of the same name as "this coming [x]day" or "next [x]day" leading the most common question whenever someone says "next [x]day" to be: "Do you mean next [x]day or do you mean this [x]day?" and people either become confused or defensive about it.

We really need to do something to stop this. It's like "first floor".

As @D1tchd1gger points out, it's a cultural/religious thing that varies from place to place. In chiefly Jewish countries like Israel, they celebrate the Sabbath (the Jewish day of rest) on a Saturday, so their week starts on a Sunday. Whereas to Christians, their day of rest is a Sunday, so the week starts on a Monday. Depends where you are and how you're raised, basically.

In the UK, given our predominant religion, I believe the first day of the week is nearly always Monday. (I'd be fascinated to hear about any exceptions, though.)

Very true, the next xday thing is so very frustrating! I get around it by saying for example the 19th, just to avoid that situation. Then of course though I get asked which day that is. Sigh.

Is there no language which is not confusing like this?!?

Japanese iirc doesn't have words to mean a past, or future tense. Instead they work based on the context of the sentence they are used in instead.

They say Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn as a English native, and vice versa.

Japanese iirc doesn't have words to mean a past, or future tense. Instead they work based on the context of the sentence they are used in instead.

They say Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn as a English native, and vice versa.

I guess that shows how much Japanese I understand. Seems like it could definitely get quite confusing.

Hmm... as someone who's self-taught up to the modest stage I'm at, there's definitely a past tense, but present and future tense have some context-based overlap.

It's easier than French! Well, I think so, anyway, but then I was terrible at that.
On that note I also was terrible at French, ended up with it in year 7, was meant to swap to Spanish in year 8 then choose thereafter. As it turned out I was in the naughty set so we get far enough behind to only get the French part. On a side note, the top set was the naughty set, the sets below ended up being more advanced in the end.

Yeah, in regards to time, Japanese has two tenses: present and... not-present. Context determines whether the latter would be past or future. Japanese (and some other asian languages and cultures) tend to be very high-context in general. Japanese grammar allows you to omit a lot of stuff (such as the grammatical subject) from sentences if they can be inferred through context.

Chinese is a lot more context-dependent than Japanese IMO. Both Japanese and English are as bad as one another, just in weirdly different ways.

We really need to do something to stop this. It's like "first floor".

I swear this one is going to feature in my future divorce hearing one day. It drives me crazy.

R

Isn't it more present and future that overlaps in Japanese, though? Past tense seems to be pretty clear-cut to me.
I definitely feel like I've come across statements before in anime that were intended to be future tense, but used the past-tense form and let context sort the rest out, but maybe that was some fever dream. It's not like I actually know the language at a level more than "absolute-casual-beginner-who-will-never-properly-study-it". :p

But yeah, having a little look, seems like you're right. The present (or base) form verb conjugations seem to be what you'd use to express future tense. My bad.

Japanese (and some other asian languages and cultures) tend to be very high-context in general. Japanese grammar allows you to omit a lot of stuff (such as the grammatical subject) from sentences if they can be inferred through context.
This is the bit that gets me every time, though. Especially in things like song lyrics, I might understand each individual element separately but still not be able to piece together the overall sense of it. :confused:

It's frustrating!

Must study more. Benkyou, benkyou...

Good shout @ayase about the 'this x' or 'next x' thing. It's a real bamboozler, I'm not even entirely consistent in my usage of it myself. It's depends how close the day in question is I suppose. It does indeed cause me to often specify the date. If it's within the week commenced I always say 'this' though.
Still shocked I'm the only one here who considers Sunday the first day of the week! I'm sure it used to be more a thing.

Also, when did 'hello' become the right spelling, in my youth it was 'hallo'! Sorry that was just a joke, but it is funny how old novels spell it in that way. I might try and bring that one back, it's kind of cute!

Back