The General Conversation Area

I was more meaning things that were minor in issue that wouldn’t themselves result in termination of tennancy but bug them just enough to make them want someone else, y’know, should have been way more specific there.

I doubt the housing association would care. They seem highly skilled at ignoring all issues and making it as difficult as possible to get repairs done. If they pushed me out they'd have to do a lot of that work before the place is fit to rent again and potential legal recourse for unjust removal.

Sure, if you don't mind having your windows smashed in ;P
You have to get them before they get you, throw a brick out through your window.

Seriously though, house prices seem beyond ridiculous in some places, you have my sympathies @serpantino. I’ve lived in three perfectly decent flats in nice towns in the North (that weren’t Middlesbrough) and they all cost between £350-£400 a month.

Where do you live Serpantino? Would you and your other half ever ponder moving outwards a bit as far as you'd both be ok with in order to get to work still and that?

What's the chances of you both getting a mortgage? As I think it's 3 or 4 times ya wage you can get given.

Renting is so cruel. you pay extorsion per month and then bills on top. My mortgage is under £300 a month now. I feel sorry for those paying that per week in rent. Rent is vicious, it takes away chances of saving and if you can save, takes ages. I lived with my Mum so I could save a lot as she didnt take the p*ss in rent when I was there.

Where do you live Serpantino? Would you and your other half ever ponder moving outwards a bit as far as you'd both be ok with in order to get to work still and that?

I live in the South East near London. We want to move to North Wales at some point but that's post kiddies I think. I have no savings etc :/.

Oh bugger yeah, you're not living in the easiest place to make a life for yourself are you :(

Wales would be a better way of life for you both for sure.

Is she saving since she lives at home? Home is the easiest place to be to save and I know that not many will be able to stay with parents as not everyone is close with them. I was able to put £400 a month away on a good day way back when. I was only being charged £160 to live at home. I am very close with my Mum so I appreciate others parents may not be as generous with rent.

Try and open a savings account and put anything you can away. Shove shrapnel in a jar whenever you can. Now the base rates gone up, it benefits those opening a savings account. I just hope when its mortgage renewal time it doesnt increase my payments again. Grrrrr.

Yussss Owly! You been there before? I went September 2016 and loved it.

I wanted to go back this year but my OH is buying a flat so it's being postponed to next year. I let myself splurge hotels and food my first time but I'm going to downgrade a lot living only on Katsu and Ramen when not a family mart or seven eleven lol. Too much Korean BBQ cooking gorgeous meat myself = dear lol.

Oh bugger yeah, you're not living in the easiest place to make a life for yourself are you :(

Wales would be a better way of life for you both for sure.

Is she saving since she lives at home? Home is the easiest place to be to save and I know that not many will be able to stay with parents as not everyone is close with them. I was able to put £400 a month away on a good day way back when. I was only being charged £160 to live at home. I am very close with my Mum so I appreciate others parents may not be as generous with rent.
£400/m is what me and my brother split now, we both work in the same place with full time jobs so we can both manage it (though where we work hardly pays anyone what their worth) we're in Wales. There's quite a few place that don't ask for what was it, 250 a week? Most are monthly. Word of warning though many people are having a difficult time finding work in Wales, worse where I'm from. That's why I'm thinking of picking up a skill, something like starting comics then getting loftier from there, I think planning to do comics would at least work out in a couple of years at least anyway, as far as I know if I did it and it worked out I'd be the only one from here that does it. Don't just move to anywhere in Wales, have a plan for work

Last edited:
I have 60k save up at the moment

Me too! I've worked really hard and have accrued a small fortune, it's currently at around the minus £60,000 mark. I hope to add more to this minus fortune in time and with hard work.

Hey, I've discovered another odd confusing thing today. Someone wrote me an email and said "I'll be free at 24, 25 or 26". I'm pretty sure they are referring to hours of the day, but it took me quite a while to figure this out as I have never encountered a 26 hour clock before.

See, see! This is what happens when move the first day of the week from Sunday to Monday, you open the flood gates and people can just create extra hours of the day! Or accrue fortunes in the minus!

Or perhaps they were being very specific and meant minutes past the hour. Or minutes to the hour. This is why we need decimal time. Still, if it was the date then it should have been "on" not "at".

Look, page 1000 people. You know when the font has to get smaller to fit on the page no. button we have officially wasted far too much of our time.

Or perhaps they were being very specific and meant minutes past the hour. Or minutes to the hour. This is why we need decimal time. Still, if it was the date then it should have been "on" not "at".

Look, page 1000 people. You know when the font has to get smaller to fit on the page no. button we have officially wasted far too much of our time.
Noooo. We count in the wrong base. Base 12 is way better than 10 but ideally we should all be counting in Hexadecimal.

Back