The General Conversation Area

When I was building my bookcase a few days ago, as I was hammering the nails and I heard something in the ceiling...****.
For some reason I read your second sentence first, and was quite surprised by the disturbing horror story. Then I properly read your entire post and it all made sense.:p (Although mice in and on themselves can still be quite the horror story)

The most annoying thing about mice is that you generally don't notice them, but if you stay up later than usual or wake up a couple hours earlier, you can often hear/spot them quite easily. Those pesky little creatures just know when you're asleep.

It’s okay qaiz, I’m pretty sure mice will only start eating you if you’re already dead.

I’ve lived in serveral old houses where mice in the walls / loft were just a fact of life - The most annoying thing was the scratching when I was trying to sleep, I remember banging on the wall as though the mice were going to understand and quiet down for me.

I had a mouse infestation in my attic when I was a kid. At first it was just annoying being kept awake at night but then they made there way into other parts of the house, one of the little f****** took a s*** on my sister's head while she slept.

Edit infestation not investigation

Last edited:
I had a mouse investigation in my attic when I was a kid.
Did they find anything?

s3LukA6.jpg

one of the little f****** took a s*** on my sister's head while she slept.
That sounds like planting evidence to me, I'd file a complaint.

Ahhhh mice. I haven't had any this year yet but I just know they're out there o_O as I've never had a year without one finding it's way in. I had to laugh last year when I came home, after being away a few days, to find one trapped in the bottom of my (empty) bin. I actually let it go but I'm pretty sure it ended up back in the bin again after returning and meeting one of my snap traps. I didn't want it to end up dead but there's no real alternative when it comes to mice because they will keep coming back & you don't want them to be still shacked up in your home come breeding season (pretty much any time outside of winter.)

When I moved into my current home it was infested with rats. One kindly spontaneously died in the middle of the kitchen overnight to confirm what we already knew. The previous occupants presumably only thought they had mice as they'd been using tiny, ineffectual snap traps. I will never forget the smell (and flies) when we moved in since they had a habit of dying in inaccessible places (not sure whether the previous tenants tried to poison them or they just ate themselves to death through all of the tunnels they made behind kitchen cabinets).

In other news, electrocution traps are pretty good. We now coexist much more happily with them living outside and not in my home.

I used to have a cat who was so bad at hunting that when she lived with us we had more mice inside the house than before she was there. She just kept bringing them in before accidentally releasing them indoors and forgetting about the problem. It wasn't fun even as someone with zero fear of rodents.

R

I used to have a cat who was so bad at hunting that when she lived with us we had more mice inside the house than before she was there. She just kept bringing them in before accidentally releasing them indoors and forgetting about the problem. It wasn't fun even as someone with zero fear of rodents.
Interior decoration with an animalistic twist!

Anyone else noticed that if you've got an item from a third party seller in your basket/saved for later at Amazon, and the price with that seller goes up, Amazon then changes it to be sold by their own store and tells you the price has gone up to their price?

I have the last couple of volumes of Gundam: The Origin waiting for my January cash injection and the price with Book Depository went up by about £1 to just over £18 and Amazon changed it to be sold by them for £24.99.

Bit shifty.

It is 5:30am.

I am sick in bed with flu.

I have a terrible headache.

There is a goddamn siren going off outside.

Like a literal siren.

Just one long note.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It has been going on for an hour now.

I am about ready to kill someone.

Speaking of mice and rats in the walls.... The apartment building my ex lived in just outside Washington DC before we got married had strange noises coming from behind her bathroom wall, and the sounds went on for months. Eventually, her bathroom started to smell bad, and she had to call building maintenance. They discovered that a louvered vent had fallen out of the gable of the building, and pigeons were getting inside and roosting in the attic. As the pigeons walked around in the attic space, they were falling down into the open wall space and getting trapped, flapping and cooing until they died. The maintenance guys tore down all the drywall on the bathroom wall, and pulled out 42 dead, rotting pigeon corpses.... Mmm, dinnertime!

Speaking of mice and rats in the walls.... The apartment building my ex lived in just outside Washington DC before we got married had strange noises coming from behind her bathroom wall, and the sounds went on for months. Eventually, her bathroom started to smell bad, and she had to call building maintenance. They discovered that a louvered vent had fallen out of the gable of the building, and pigeons were getting inside and roosting in the attic. As the pigeons walked around in the attic space, they were falling down into the open wall space and getting trapped, flapping and cooing until they died. The maintenance guys tore down all the drywall on the bathroom wall, and pulled out 42 dead, rotting pigeon corpses.... Mmm, dinnertime!
Sounds like a takeaway from town made good use of those pigeons. Tastes like it too

tehre are some mice who crawl up the walls up to our balcony and s
.... Did nightmares of trapeed pidgeon ghost haunting whoever lived in that building ensure?

When I was a teen & still living at home I once turned the bath tap on and the water came out a bit sludgy, very dark red and it stank .... Turned out there was a dead pigeon in the tank.

Never drunk out of the bathroom tap again :p

How'd the rest of the night go? (Dare I ask...)
It actually stopped shortly after I posted, thankfully.

The siren was going off again this morning at about 3. Given that those sirens are normally used at the nearby chemical plants I think probably everyone in Teesside has taken in a healthy dose of escaped chemicals in the past few days, but it's nothing we're not used to. The one I'm used to hearing sounds like an old fashioned air-raid siren though, this one's new, and considerably worse due to its monotone. At least the air raid siren is kind of weirdly soothing.

Last edited:
My aunt lives that way. I visited her a couple of years ago and we went to 'Boro for a day. Visited the Dorman Museum, drove around Ayresome Park and used the Tees Transporter Bridge.

I think probably everyone in Teesside has taken in a healthy dose of escaped chemicals
Hence the nickname Smoggies :p

Back