The General Conversation Area

Kite said:
new accounting system (based on Sage)
Ahh, accounts. The only business entity who predicate a man's worth upon his promptness to produce purchase orders, rewarding he who passes muster with but a returned sheet of carbon copy paper, its colour anew; its contents familiar; its imprints binding.

Fortunately I never need to buy anything.

I'm joining the Home Office as a Civil Servant.

Does this mean AUKN now has a foot in the door? It's about time our kind got some political representation. Great news, I'm really happy for ya Ath!

Anyway, not long ago I became friends with this Japanese girl at my uni. She seemed like a decent and sweet type of person. I recently discovered however that she is a bit of a raging nationalist, the type who claims Japan was just trying to "liberate Asia from western imperialism" during WW2 and denies that the Nanjing massacre ever happened. I was a bit taken aback when I heard all this. I then proceeded to discover she's not a fan of multiculturalism ( claims it makes people "hard to control", and also claims you need "Japanese blood" to be a true Japanese) or feminism (claims the menstruation cycle impedes the rational faculties of women, hence why they shouldn't get into politics. And most hilariously of all, she actually 100% seriously believes that women really are worse drivers). Oh and she also believes that Whales are not really endangered or over hunted and that's all western anti-Japanese propaganda.

:| She is a walking checklist of nearly every negative stereotype about Japanese people. I can't believe I actually met someone like this, let alone unwittingly became friends with one. She's university educated too, but after what I've been learning about the Japanese education system, it does make some kind of sense, not that I want to be generalizing.

Ath said:
I'm joining the Home Office as a Civil Servant
Yeah, sure Ath, that's what all the secret service agents say... Your secret's safe with us.

Kite said:
new accounting system (based on Sage)
Ah, Sage! The accountant's best friend because it does 90% of their job for them, changing their job description to "Person who presses buttons to generate reports and hassles everyone else to make sure they're using Sage correctly"

If you're an accountant Kite, you've hit the jackpot and can now spend all your days watching anime. If not, prepare to suppress urges to kill your company's accountant.

vashdaman said:
the type who claims Japan was just trying to "liberate Asia from western imperialism" during WW2
She needn't worry too much about that, I'm sure China will be "liberating Asia from western imperialism" soon enough. Not sure Japanese nationalists will be nearly as happy about that as the time when Japan was doing it though.

Seriously though, nationalism a ****. It's on par with "My dad's better than your dad". Pretty much everybody's countries are run primarily for the benefit of small, corrupt elites and that's nothing for any of us to be proud of. It's like this ******** in the Ukraine - Who actually gives a damn about the ordinary people of that country? Not Putin, not Obama, not Cameron, not whoever the hell is in charge of the EU today... They all just want a government who will benefit their interests the most. All this talk about the freedom of the people makes me want to gag, I can guarantee none of them cares one jot about that. Ukraine is just a square on a chessboard to them.

Well said, Ayase. There seems to be quite a bit of nationalistic shtick coming out of the Japanese gov at the moment unfortunately though, hell, I've even met one non-Japanese who was an avid supporter of the Japanese Restoration Party, which I thought was pretty bizarre lol.

I was also pretty amazed recently when I learned that apparently plagiarism (including full on copy and pasting!) is unofficially a totally tolerated thing in Japanese universities, and referencing is never required. So many of the students from Japan that I meet seem to really be struggling with the academic work over here due to this. Some of them are just used to mining Wikipedia and calling it a day. Life at a Japanese uni sound ******* schweeet!

I'm meant to be an auditor, although since getting the job title (and pay) back in December, I've not done a single audit!

The system is Sage, but it's been bespoke for the requirements of mess accounting, so not real proper accountants, just a mixture of abilities and skill-sets.

----------

I've got to someone shave off 300 words of this 2800 word report for my OU end of module assessment to get it under the word limit of 2500 words.

3 beautiful sunny days (if you discount Friday morning) in a row, has spring sprung?

I bet the energy companies have disliked the winter, where it hasn't really gotten that cold, less profits.

Managed to get words shaved off my report, 2621 words in total, so within the 10% tolerance, probably would have be less if you don't count the references.

vashdaman said:
I'm joining the Home Office as a Civil Servant.

Does this mean AUKN now has a foot in the door? It's about time our kind got some political representation. Great news, I'm really happy for ya Ath!

Anyway, not long ago I became friends with this Japanese girl at my uni. She seemed like a decent and sweet type of person. I recently discovered however that she is a bit of a raging nationalist, the type who claims Japan was just trying to "liberate Asia from western imperialism" during WW2 and denies that the Nanjing massacre ever happened. I was a bit taken aback when I heard all this. I then proceeded to discover she's not a fan of multiculturalism ( claims it makes people "hard to control", and also claims you need "Japanese blood" to be a true Japanese) or feminism (claims the menstruation cycle impedes the rational faculties of women, hence why they shouldn't get into politics. And most hilariously of all, she actually 100% seriously believes that women really are worse drivers). Oh and she also believes that Whales are not really endangered or over hunted and that's all western anti-Japanese propaganda.

:| She is a walking checklist of nearly every negative stereotype about Japanese people. I can't believe I actually met someone like this, let alone unwittingly became friends with one. She's university educated too, but after what I've been learning about the Japanese education system, it does make some kind of sense, not that I want to be generalizing.
Tell her that because of her menstrual cycle impeding her rational faculties, she shouldn't be allowed to talk about politics? Also, she doesn't believe in multi-culturalism but...is in London and made friends with you?
epic-jackie-chan-template.png

The multiculturalism was her least favorite thing about London. I can understand it sort of, when you're coming from a country with a immigration rate as low as Japan, London might seem a bit different I guess. Still, I did find it all a bit surprising, especially as she is incredibly well traveled, which is usually thought of as an antidote to a closed mind.

Maybe travelling so much has made her see the tricks and how hard or easy getting into a country is... ? Also, depends on the culture of each place - Are Russians uptight? Did the Texans expect a tip and there were hard prompts for it? Has Japan developed an inefficiency to communicate well outside a shopkeeper's "Hello, can I help you?" I dunno, maybe she's just grouchy for Oscar's sake.
oscar-the-grouch.jpg

And I'd say spring is here. As said, a few good sunny days - I'm sure April will bring the showers back - but there's still the chill in the wind... sounds right to me.

Time flies, this time last year I was on the West Coast of America in San Francisco.

I'm not the only one, staring at the sun.

Chaz, which series is your avatar from?

It's Ukitsu from Ikki Tousen (this version drawn in the later series and games, rather than the original anime.) The pic is from an image with several other characters themed in Gothic Lolita outfits - But my all-time-favourite character in my favourite colour wearing G.L... It's a keeper. ;)

I've got the original pic, also others with the cast (up to Xtreme Xecutioner and such) with other themes - Shrine Maidens, wild western, race girls etc. Just shout if you want a looksie.

The parts of Scotland I have seen today is rather beautiful.

Same with parts of the lake district viewable from the west coast mainline.

I've been thinking lately...Marvel does a lot of anime collaborations with Madhouse, but I'd like to see them team up with SHAFT for a Dr. Strange series/movie, with Gekidan Inu Curry doing some design work.

That'd be hella awesome.

Got my driving theory test tomorrow, think I'm pretty well prepared but the hazard perception test is my biggest worry. Fingers crossed I can pass it and get my practical test book. On the practical side I've had 2 mock tests so far and failed both of them (each time with 3 major faults). :|

I wouldn't worry about the practical test. Every test is different and the major faults could have been no fault of your own (which is why I think tests on public roads are ********).

Good luck with the test!

Happy hump day everyone. I hope your day proves to be not so challenging and something easy to plough through.

What are your plans for the rest of this week anyway?

Tomorrow I'm going to Rosso for a meal with 2 old friends (know them since year 2), Friday I might be having a drink with some people in the department (dependant on when everyone finishes) followed by McDonalds for tea. I must have that bacon quarter pounder! Plus it's the monopoly thing there and my bf and I usually like to go OTT at least once as in like £20-30 sprnt there for all those stickers lmao.
My weekend is laziness of getting hold of some Visual Novels. If I'm feeling house trapped, maybe lunch somewhere or a trip to the Trafford Centre.

Hump day? Well if you're offering Danielle ;)

Alas, i've returned for another brief visit to the old place. Not a great deal has changed since my last visit, i've attended my first car event of this year (the fast show at santa pod raceway) this sunday just gone, realized that true discipline of the mind can overcome anything life throws at you; i've trained diligently in the gym and realized my true potential (spending months to years of milling around and not going to the gym or eating enough food to grow i never managed to get past 12kg dumbells, i'm now on 24kg with hopes of 30kg before may), this new me comes at a cost though - my eyes aren't as spritely as they once where, in the past year my left eye has changes its stigmatism from 180 degrees to 20 which affects my ability to refract light within the eye and leads to constant migraines as such i've elected to start job hunting for a job in london. At present my nicely paid NHS job has served me well but i long for a new challenge and in the NHS governing body "Monitor" i'm hoping i can find just that, hopefully gone are the days of number crunching and overseeing others but to take managerial duties to a whole new level.

Seeing many of my friends go off to uni and study/party for 3 years was tough at the time, i truly felt as if i wouldnt be an equal when they returned.... nothing could be further from the truth, thankfully my years of service to the NHS rewards me with a job paying more than double what the combined wages of my friends earn... because of this i think that the pressure for kids to finish school and progress onto further education or else live in grotty houses with crap paying jobs - is a complete farce and should be uprooted from societies stigmatistical view.

Also, i'm saving up for a house :) should have my own place by the end of the year. The idea is to buy a semi or a fully detached so i can build a garage and a man cave next to the house, i've got it all planned out. My anime collection, 50inch tv, playstations and xbox's all in a huge shelving platform halfway up the wall, reclining sofa and beer fridge :p

Leaving note.... i was dared to tackle a cheeseburger challenge by a friend not long ago... 10 macdonalds cheeseburgers within 30mins. Sounds do-able but be warned; the salt intake per burger is something mental like 17% of you're daily intake. so drowning it with water is the only way to bypass a hospital visit haha.

Oh and Arby, if you're about... Yes i've been keeping upto date with you're mental tweets about FF lol i'm waiting in the wings with the "GF topic" for when you least expect it lol

Stay well you lot.

Tach

Tachi, get yourself to Southern Eleven here in Manchester lmao. They have a Manchester vs Food challenge and it consists of a 20lb burger, 10 wings and a few other things. I want to do it so bad!

Ace news about saving up for a house. I have a terraced house but its only my house and 2 others that it up. My bf's gutted our lovely old neighbours on our left have space to build a garage as he too would like to do what you want to do! haha. I thik eventually i'll just have to get a loft conversion and turn that into a cave haha.

A friend text me for the first time in over a month and half today. I've been cruelly ignored by them all and have had no one outside my mum, brother, bf and an acquaintance. I shouldn't be so friendly too her when half of her excuse is twaddle but I need people. Even if it just remains mutual using in terms of going out :(

Hopefully out for a birthday next weekend. Still need to decide if I want to plan anything for mine. Not the best turn out last year and I imagine this year would be worse considering how the past month and a half has been!

Back