The General Conversation Area

megalomaniac said:
If it were them then it would likely effect the entire Hut Group, last time I checked that included: http://www.thehutgroup.com/our-websites/ as well as running e-operations for, Tesco, Asda, Argos and WH Smiths.

Hmm could be. Are website accounts for those shops interchangeable (I have unique logins for each)? Because if not it could still be limited to Zavvi, whereas if they are it's more likely that someone's swiped the lot.

I only registered my card with Zavvi in late July and the first order which used it was charged last week :/

R

chaz has just been done by the same group as you guys, o2 top up and clothes.

similarities are Zavvi, UP1 and Yesasia

so it's one of them.

I can tell you now that Zavvi has no releationship to Argos bar the fact we use them to sell online dvd's so using cards in store or on the argos website wouldn't be linked to zavvi

My nans card got used for top ups a few weeks back. When the bank rang up to tell her about it, they said it was someone from america =/

Until this happened, I sometimes used my nans card for ordering things online - then i'd pay her back in cash. Now I just use my own card because there hasn't been a problem with mine yet.

I'm convinced it's Zavvi pending any evidence to the contrary. If they've had a good deal on the WiiU as has been reported, a lot of people are going to be caught up in this. I hope they're thoroughly investigated as the credit card companies are going to be able to isolate the source extremely easily given the huge scale of this leak.

I'll cancel my other order with them tonight; I can't deal with companies which leak my private information. They haven't responded yet to my terse message, either.

R

Just out of curiosity, what value were the 02 top ups? I've got two £10 transactions on my card from Saturday that I don't recognise, but my bank hasn't updated to say what they were yet.

For the record, Zavvi have (now had) my card details though I've always tended to use PayPal when buying from them, and I had a payment processed by UP1 on Friday last week.

I haven't seen the charges they made yet myself (they told me to wait a few days) but the pattern with these things is always some test charges to make sure it's a valid card then go for the kill with some massive purchase. I'd call your card issuer to check those debits if you aren't sure about them, you might be able to nip it in the bud.

R

I've already been up to my bank today to ask about them, and was told that they won't show up in detail (they're currently only showing up as 'card authorised') until tomorrow - I wasn't impressed!

This sucks... I could probably do with a new wardrobe, but even I know I dont have THAT kind of money to splash... They better not have tried to buy the wrong colour for my dress!!! (Ops, shouldn't type that out...)

Zavvi have just been a major bane for me personally. I wouldn't have been surprised that my luck would turn ugly from being involved with them. Only bought one thing from them (WWE '12), and the only thing that was good about the transaction was the cheaper price. *Rant, rant, rant....*
So yeah, I'd bet my ACTUAL money on them being the source of the problem, but I cant say for sure.

I'm just glad I'm paying my Car Insurance renewal on my other card, or else that would be a major problem.

chaos said:
11 times? Unlikely to be a proper customer and more likely to be one of the staff with access to the card machine..... No shop clerk with more than one brain cell would let a customer try 11 times......

That's what I thought I doubt its a customer as you say no one in there right mind would let a customer do that, but if they had a card machine you can just manually put it through as many times as they want.

Rui said:
I'm convinced it's Zavvi pending any evidence to the contrary. If they've had a good deal on the WiiU as has been reported, a lot of people are going to be caught up in this. I hope they're thoroughly investigated as the credit card companies are going to be able to isolate the source extremely easily given the huge scale of this leak.

I'll cancel my other order with them tonight; I can't deal with companies which leak my private information. They haven't responded yet to my terse message, either.

R

I agree the more we all talk about it, the easier it is to point the the finger at Zavvi.

I've got my Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Wizard's Edition) pre-order which them...damn and I got it for a good price from them. Guess I will have to cancel it and just pay a bit more though going to need to wait for a new card before I can do that...grr so annoying.
If it is Zavvi I wonder if they even know it has happened =/

VoxPhantom said:
Just out of curiosity, what value were the 02 top ups? I've got two £10 transactions on my card from Saturday that I don't recognise, but my bank hasn't updated to say what they were yet.
The bank said they where £10 transactions for the O2 top ups

The problem is how far back this problem relates to. Any card that has been cloned can take upto 2 years before it is being used by someone else. The problem could relate to a disgruntled former staff member of whichever site is behind this*.

For the record I have recently had orders processed from yesasia and UP1 (UK site) but I think it is several weeks since I last ordered from Zavvi (I think Tales of Graces f was my last order). I may give them a wide berth for the time being so to be on the safe side though. I checked my cards online over the weekend and I didn't see anything on the statements that shouldn't be there. I will keep on checking though just in case.

* I had 2 cards cloned in quick succession around 3 1/2 years ago. While I have no evidence I think it was Forbidden Planet International. Around the time the first card was clone my local store closed down. They then reopened (after agreeing a rent deal with the landlords) but then closed again 3 months later at which time my second card was cloned. When I did a search online many people were saying their cards had been clone and the main link was their offline and online stores (their website is this one http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ ) and at that time I had occationally ordered from their website. Both times the store closed one of the members of staff could had kept the card details.

Note: As far as I am aware the following site is okay though, http://forbiddenplanet.com as it isn't linked to FPI (I still sometimes use that site and my card has so far been okay).

I can say with 100% confidence I hadn't given that card to Zavvi until recently so it might be that their web security was only wobbly relatively recently rather than a full historical database theft. It was a relatively new card too. The most annoying thing is that while I have lots of cards, that was the one I preferred to use in Japan. And there was an Only event there at the weekend I desperately want to buy things from before they sell out ;_;

I hate the dirty feeling when you are pretty sure you know where it's happened. It's statistically interesting too that so many of the ladies of this forum were affected; I assume they were picking out girly names where they could since their target was a fashion website (that or Zavvi has a really weird demographic split)?

R

Rui said:
I hate the dirty feeling when you are pretty sure you know where it's happened. It's statistically interesting too that so many of the ladies of this forum were affected; I assume they were picking out girly names where they could since their target was a fashion website (that or Zavvi has a really weird demographic split)?

R

That is an interesting theory. It makes sense. However, I'm still not entirely convinced it's Zavvi as my sister's card is also on my account but her details/money are fine. It's strange how anime fans have been picked out with this fraud, it could also be anime-on-line (my card was on there too). What we do know is that some site somewhere has had a security breach and they should come clean about it. :|

Aya-Kun said:
VoxPhantom said:
Thanks, that all but confirms it for me - though I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow.

VoxPhantom said:
Aya-Kun said:
VoxPhantom said:
Thanks, that all but confirms it for me - though I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow.

It sounds likely - as my card also had £10 transactions with O2 on Saturday before they tried to buy £200 of clothes from a US fashion store.

Well the new forums are looking rather nice, good job to the admins.

I'm back to work again, after my 2 week holiday then back for literally a day and a half before injury to my back and had the rest of the week off and the following week too.

Been nice to chill but daytime tv is the worst and i've hardly just laid about all day - more work on the car and new sound system in place :) very happy with the weekend just past, my sister turned 18 and me, the gf and my parents went for a nice meal and alot of drink - it was great to just see everyone chilling out :)

Back to work today and have to train a new guy, seems nice enough. Gotta say - you lot probably didn't even notice i wasn't here anymore lol.

You were gone?

To be fair tach the site was down last week, only got put back up due to Chaos's hard work on saturday night.

How was your holiday?

Sigh, another 45 mins and I'll have to head off back to work for the evening shift. Hopefully I can get one of the new jobs I applied for.

hahaha see what i mean?

Yeah it was great, lovely weather and unlimited food and alcohol - it was blissful.

I've spent the past week watching game of thrones and really enjoying it, anyone else seen it?

And good to hear you have a job, i knew it'd be a matter of time before you started complaining :p

:p

Glad you enjoyed yourself :)

Yeah I only started two weeks ago :p It's not the job for me though. I want something with more stable hours and a bit better wage so I can see and provide for Theo when he comes along.

Ahh so you've settled on a name :)

How long do you have left till the due date? Voddas is cursing the lack of sleep last i spoke to him he has an average of 5 hours sleep and can run fine but hates the 10 hours of constantly broken sleep he's getting these days haha.

As for me, i'm staying off the baby wagon for a while - giving myself more years to chill out and live for myself and the missus :) the car costs me enough, forget the cost of a baby ontop lol

Have you sorted out the baby room?

He's due in novmember, around the 10th so about a month and a half. We're all sorted for him, his room is done, just need to finish off some canvasses that are going in there for decoration. See the problamatic sleep I can deal with...it's just the kid in thirteen years time I don't want to deal with :p

Actually despite our problems with money we managed to get everything in for him, it's just a matter of compromise and grabbing things when you can :) Plus we've got a new date for the wedding, going for a more low-key affair this time so we're looking to get it done next august...instead of august 2015

Back