The General Conversation Area

At least we have found out who it is, though I don't think when any of us listed the site's we used any one mentioned AOL I had totally forgotten about them.

I do feel bad for them, I never even thought it might be them. On a plus side like Rui I won't have to cancel my Zavvi pre-orders

The O2 transactions went out my bank this morning I had 2 of them.

All this hassle and the most annoying thing is trying to get money from the bank for me, because I don't drive and my passport expired a couple of months ago -no had chance to get a new one- so that's not valid they won't give you any money if you don't have either. I had to fight yesterday to get £100 out I needed to give my mum £70 but she then told me I probably wouldn't be able to again unless the person that serves me agrees to it...ballshit!!
I asked them today about getting money out friday as I get paid and they told me cause I didn't have any valid photo ID they could only give me £50!!! wtf and I meant to do with that....grrr stupid bank quick enough to stop my card -which I'm happy about- but not happy to give money out to me.

So annoying...mini rant over XD

When I spoke to the bank this morning, I didn't mention Anime On Line or MVM by name, but I did say that other people who have ordered from the same place have been hit. Although they can't confirm anything until tomorrow, hopefully the fact that I have raised suspicions means that there's a note on my account or something.

With everyone else being hit I'd been keeping a close watch on my bank account and nothing thus far. Half time in the football and I got a call from the bank someone had tried to make purchases with my card today, but Bank of Scotland put a stop on them and didn't authorise them. They're a good bank for this kind of thing as they've proven before. So I've not lost any money but now waiting probably a week for my new card, I hate having to go change my card details on the sites I use it, HMV particualry as they don't always update orders placed before a card expired with the new card details.

Rui said:
I wish that the security of card payment processes in general was vastly improved, it's a joke at the moment.
Biometrics? The best thing they could do IMHO is to use hash generators for online payments. You'd the card number, the pin AND a hash generator device. It's really annoying, but cant thing of anything more secure with the available techs.

joanne_chan said:
Fortunately since my last order with anime on-line, I've had a new card with new card and security code number.
I must admit I much prefer to pay using Paypal where that's an option and many (inevitable) payments to Royal Mail for HMRC go thru 3D security on RM's 'fee2pay' site.
Actually, Paypal is a lot worst than any credit cards, as they act as an unregulated bank and if someone defrauds your paypal or any service that you've linked to paypal, the payments will go through and there is no way in hell to make paypal refund you.

For whichever reason, someone managed to use my Paypal account to top up Skype and as I had topped up Skype with PayPal before, the transactions went through. I was travelling at the time and only noticed the problem later, and nothing I did managed to convince Paypal that was fraud.
There was even a large log of calls from Skype, basically making one call every minute for 4 or 5 days, all these originating from China....

I finished The Hunger Games at 2am this morning. My friend finds it very weird that I didn't care about Rue's death - mainly because y'know, the whole point of the Games is for them to die and it was obvious she was going to die, being small and reminding Katniss of Prim made it impossible for anything to happen other than for her death to affect Katniss and as soon as they split up, I knew that was going to be the time. However, due to the fact that all of the non-District 12 tributes were bound to die at some point, I just couldn't find myself caring.

Then Foxface died and I felt sad. Mainly because despite not having any lines, she was awesome and her death was lame..

Starting Catching Fire later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos said:
Rui said:
I wish that the security of card payment processes in general was vastly improved, it's a joke at the moment.
Biometrics? The best thing they could do IMHO is to use hash generators for online payments. You'd the card number, the pin AND a hash generator device. It's really annoying, but cant thing of anything more secure with the available techs.
I think this basically what RBS does for certain transactions. I insert my card into the device, enter my PIN and it generates a number for me. I've rarely had to use it though.

Requiring things such as 3D secure, globally, would potentially help (since it's not mandatory at the moment). At the moment the step to verify the buyer is actually themselves instead of a third party using the card is missing on online transactions (accomplished via PIN at physical shops) :s

R

i acquired the hunger games lastnight too, i'm yet to watch it but all i can think of whenever someone mentions the hunger games is: "rip off of battle royale"

Ofcorse with hollywood, it'll be bigger explosions and if it goes through 3 films only do do that typical "it was all a dream" i'll hit the wall, metaphorically ofcorse.

I went into HMV today to purchase The Hunger Games (Exclusive steelbook yo) and I saw a huge Avengers display. Was tempted but then I remembered "Wait, it's a censored release lacking cool extras" and just bought The Hunger Games.

MaxonTreik said:
chaos said:
Rui said:
I think this basically what RBS does for certain transactions. I insert my card into the device, enter my PIN and it generates a number for me. I've rarely had to use it though.
I have that, but my device mostly gathers dust. I only get asked to use it when sending a direct transfer to another account that I've never sent one too before.

Mutsumi said:
How is the Avengers release censored?
The scene where Loki stabs Agent Coulson has been edited to remove the tip coming out of Agent Coulson's chest.

A minor edit, but an edit nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather be defrauded every once in a while and not have to remember another bloody password / PIN for Verified by Visa. Seriously, a PIN for each of your debit and credit cards? A PIN for telephone banking? A PIN for online banking? A PIN for my bank's iPhone app? How many four digit codes am I supposed to be able to remember? Just get the god-damn Verichip implanted already and I can clear some space in my brain.

I'd agree with you ayase if not for the fact that the process of proving my innocence with fraud has always proven to be far more tedious than necessary (usually involving making telephone calls, ugh, to non-free numbers during ridiculously tight office hours at some point to sort out some trivial nonsense). Since I already have to remember my password anyway for half the sites I use, it would be nice if the other half joined in and actually made some attempt to protect my money :/

Oh well, new card arrived today so time to spend, spend, spend!

R

I have to say, for all their other horrendous faults which culminated in me leaving them for the Co-op, Natwest did realise and inform me immediately on the two occasions I have been defrauded. I just think more passwords and PIN numbers clearly aren't the answer, especially when security breeches seem to occur on the other side. Maybe if we actually had a card terminal we could plug into our computers and just use it like we do in high street shops? I'd be fine with that.

Google Chrome remembers all my site passwords for me in the same way a calculator does all my mathematics. That stuff is all machine work...

Arrived home from work to find an email informing me that I'm a step closer to becoming a published comic book writer. Long live the dream! Can't say much else about it at this point, but it's likely just to be a digital only release, which does disappoint me a bit but it isn't my best work so I'm not that miffed. Apparently they've got suggestions for editing my story before I script it, I've just had to inform them that it's already entirely scripted, though I'm happy to take suggestions on board as long as they read it and all supporting materials first.

Hey 20thCenturyBoy, congratulations! Is your story about a group of kids, who grown up taking separate paths and one of them is set on revenge on another and forms a cult to execute his revenge?

Nice work 20th :) Hope everything goes well for you, just been reading about the strange talent of Luthor Slade, which was done by first timers, and now they're working on better things within the industry. Who knows you could be writing for either DC or Marvel in the future.

chaos said:
Hey 20thCenturyBoy, congratulations! Is your story about a group of kids, who grown up taking separate paths and one of them is set on revenge on another and forms a cult to execute his revenge?

Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience?

:D

Back