The General Conversation Area

Maxon's analysis of Twitter is pretty much spot on, it is the theoretically good side of social media, just mis-used by too many idiots.

vashdaman said:
In a continuation of my previous post, I decided that the dreams were so weird I should sign up to facebook
Sad, Sad Times.

I'll try to remember you for how you wanted to live your life, rather than how you did.

I'm now a victim of card fraud for the second time in my life (first time was in 2007). I don't know how someone managed to get my details as I'm always very careful (computer has anti malware/anti virus software/firewall etc).

Not to scare anyone but check your bank account regularly. Someone attempted to buy 200 pounds worth of goods in the U.S. and also got 02 mobile phone top ups with my details. :|

I was told my credit card had been cloned this weekend too! Fortunately they didn't achieve anything as my bank stopped it (evidently suspicious that I was buying fashion stuff in the UK rather than nerdy stuff in Japan :p). I wonder if some website's database has been compromised?

R

Rui said:
I was told my credit card had been cloned this weekend too! Fortunately they didn't achieve anything as my bank stopped it (evidently suspicious that I was buying fashion stuff in the UK rather than nerdy stuff in Japan :p). I wonder if some website's database has been compromised?

R

Whoa! Same! Someone tried to spend £5,000 on fashion and top up via O2. Considering I didn't like paying £20 for a pair of jeans my bank knows me rather well and declined the transactions.

So now I'm moving tomorrow with £100 in my pocket and no access to my money for like a week. This'll be...Fun.

And to top it all off the doctor diagnosed my foot with tendonitis, whilst my ride has bailed on me...

That sucks. I'm lucky as it was just my credit card and so I can still buy things. The bank person mentioned O2 to me as well but as I actually use O2 I didn't think anything of it. Come to think of it, I don't use my credit card for that, so they must be fraudulent too. I'm supposed to call them back in a few days for a full breakdown of the dodgy transactions.

Given that we have nothing else in common it seems inevitable that a shopping website we both use was the source of the leak. Hmm. I wonder if anyone else on the forum will report something similar in the next few days.

I hope your move goes more smoothly than it has been so far!

R

I'm not on O2 network and never have used them - so I think there must have been a database leak somewhere. We all have very similar sounding events in regard to the fraudulent activities.

The question is: what website/service? I don't think companies will openly admit to such a breach of security.

The only people it could possibly be from my perspective are, I think, Zavvi, Parcelforce, BFI, Yesasia, UP1 or PSN. Is there a common factor?

R

neptune2venus said:
I'm not on O2 network and never have used them - so I think there must have been a database leak somewhere. We all have very similar sounding events in regard to the fraudulent activities.

Same I'm with Tesco not O2, hence why my bank declined those payments - thankfully!

Rui said:
The only people it could possibly be from my perspective are, I think, Zavvi, Parcelforce, BFI, Yesasia, UP1 or PSN. Is there a common factor?

R

For me out of those it's either Zavvi, Yesasia or PSN. Potentially parcel force too, but I can't quite remember if I used my card with them or not.

Rui said:
I hope your move goes more smoothly than it has been so far!

Thank you. So do I! :D

neptune2venus said:
Out of those: Only Zavvi and UP1. However, could be Amazon too!

Amazon could be a possibility for me too.

I use a different card with Amazon UK, though I have used my credit card on Amazon Japan before so they have it on record.

I'm going to switch to using Paypal on Zavvi's website from now on...

R

Rui said:
.... evidently suspicious that I was buying fashion stuff in the UK rather than nerdy stuff in Japan :p....
Lol =D

Not all websites have got the "3D security" thingy, so as long as you handed your credit card to someone in a store / restaurant / etc - potentially, it could be cloned.

If you ever spoke the numbers to someone from a company over the phone, then it's another way it could have been compromised.

Before chip & pin, some phreakers used to tamper cash machines to collect the details of people's credit card to use, but that is not possible anymore "AFAIK".

I don't mean to scare anyone (at least not much) but the thing is - nothing is secure. Credit Card numbers, Money, goods... all can be stolen. So the trick is to be vigilant. I check my statement online every other week / every week and raise the flag as soon as I notice something I don't recognise.

On that regards, Paypal is the worst, as they act like a bank, but are not regulated as one. Google and Amazon Payments are much better on that regards, but I wouldn't vouch for them yet.

neptune2venus & Rui - have either of you used UP1USA to order anything yet? I have tried but keep getting error messages. Maybe that is where your card could have been cloned if you have used them. Another possiblity is PSN from when it got hacked a while back?

I haven't ever used UP1 USA, only the UK version. My credit card has changed since the big PSN hack (I only input it a couple of months ago in order to buy Journey), so Zavvi is definitely looking the most guilty at the moment.

R

Wow I thought it was just me turns out reading this and some where else that it wasn't. I thought my card details got taken while I was in london thursday but now I don't think that was possible

They tried to do £300 in a fashion place, £1something at an airport o_O luckily they all declined thought the fashion house one the bank told me they tried 11 time -persistent bastards- but the O2 tops where approved though I haven't been on O2 for years

Out of all of this the most annoying part is being with out a card and having to wait more than a week.

Places I use my card are mainly HMV, Zavvi, Play, Paypal, PSN, XB360. I've used it on UP1 and YesAsia but not for some time

11 times? Unlikely to be a proper customer and more likely to be one of the staff with access to the card machine..... No shop clerk with more than one brain cell would let a customer try 11 times......

Can anyone say for sure it's not Zavvi (i.e. they were affected and don't use them)? Because I have another order open with them and if they're allowing card details to be stolen I'd rather take the hit and pay more for that item elsewhere...

R

Rui said:
Can anyone say for sure it's not Zavvi (i.e. they were affected and don't use them)? Because I have another order open with them and if they're allowing card details to be stolen I'd rather take the hit and pay more for that item elsewhere...

R
If it were them then it would likely effect the entire Hut Group, last time I checked that included: http://www.thehutgroup.com/our-websites/ as well as running e-operations for, Tesco, Asda, Argos and WH Smiths.

Back