The General Conversation Area

Back to work, was off with a horrible migraine thurs and friday and now glad to be back here so i can rest.

Thats right, i'm resting at work compared to the weekend - On saturday we went to brighton (me, the gf and her family) and had a great day out; alot of food was eaten and a fair few beers were drunk. we got up at 7.30 and set off for brighton - got back to luton at 10pm and headed back home with the gf and her sister, so my sister and her sister sat there having a "sesh" and me and kayls went up to bed to have a few more drinks and then sleep - i stayed up and watched abit of bozzed up britains abroad and was shocked to see just how bad some get.... one guy sold most of his clothes for more money to buy booze.

Sunday we were up again early to go to town - we got to kayls house and was just expecting to drop her sister off home and meet her mum and other sister and dean in town - we turned up at the house and her mums sat having a bloody chat with someone which i'll cut a long story short - i ended up losing my temper with her about it later in the day as It screwed up alot of plans.

Chain reactions are a b*tch.

So anyway we came back from town and went to kayls house to build the 2in1 i bought her, she's really pleased with it and after a funny hour of us trying to build it (her trying to use the destructions and me going on "what seemed most logical to use") we ended up throwing the destructions in the bin and worked it out ourselves.

I've slept from 8.30ish lastnight to 9am today :) feeling more or less normal again now.

There's a documentary on BBC Four right now called Tetris: From Russia With Love, anybody watching/watched it? I'm not currently at this time because Olympic Men's Football is on, is it worth catching up on iPlayer at later time if it gets put on there, I might be interested in checking it out if I had heard about it sooner.

(I honestly didn't know where to post that, so general thread it went.)

MrLaserSharkKH said:
There's a documentary on BBC Four right now called Tetris: From Russia With Love, anybody watching/watched it? I'm not currently at this time because Olympic Men's Football is on, is it worth catching up on iPlayer at later time if it gets put on there, I might be interested in checking it out if I had heard about it sooner.

(I honestly didn't know where to post that, so general thread it went.)

If it's the one that I have seen then I think that's pretty old - from around the time the channel first started. It's very interesting.

So my manager in work has been wanting to set me up with a girl that works in one of our other shops. I've seen pictures of her and while she's not my type I'm willing to go on the word from my manager that she's a nice girl and we're quite similar. It's been a few weeks since the idea was first mooted and today my manager gave me her number telling me to get in touch with her. I've just sent her a text and am feeling quite nervous about the whole thing as I'm just so awful with women.

It's not easy going on a date with someone you haven't met before. Just be yourself you will be fine. Good luck man. By the way I want details on how it went tomorrow on this very forum! 8)

In preparation for painting my room this weekend I took down all my posters and am getting rid of them. This meant taking down my beloved big Uma Thurman Kill Bill poster. Oh, how I will miss you my love :cry:

I only have a couple of posters in my room. An assassins creed brotherhood, "Warning - Gamer at work" poster, and a Linkin Park one i bought in france when i was about 12 :)

I do have a framed picture of a pool table and jack daniels but thats not on the wall because i can't find space.

What have you guys got?

Until yesterday I did have a lot of movie posters (Kill Bill, 2xPulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Rocky, 2xScarface, Dark Knight, Source Code, Carnage, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) had a Futurama poster too, couple of old Celtic posters and a Beatles poster. All I've kept now are some postcards on a cupboard door (Scarface, Godfather, Enter the Dragon, Marilyn Manson, KoRn), some anime postcards/posters on wall behind my computer (Claymore, Spice and Wolf, Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Eden of the East: King of Eden, One Piece, Hotarubi no Mori E and End of Evangelion) and my Azumanga Daioh wall scroll.

MaxonTreik said:
I miss my Perfect Dark poster from N64 Magazine. It was the one that had Joanna Dark drawn anime/manga style.

This!

I 'think' I still have mine stored away somewhere. Will have to look for it now that you mentioned it ha!

Lawrence said:
MaxonTreik said:
Lawrence said:
Taking the above into account, I can summarise "If it's not rated PG, it's probably worth watching."
Please tell me you're trolling. You can still save face.

In this specific case, I would sooner watch Squid Girl than DBZ or Fairy Tail but in truth, I wouldn't be so hasty to apply that "rule" to other titles.

For example: Azumanga Daioh?

I have a few posters in my room. I have all 5 of the AniplexUSA Madoka LE posters, the small Oreimo one, the MangaUK Ghost in the Shell one and four Pokémon ones. I have a giant Arriety poster I got from the cinema, but we need to get a frame for it before we hang on the wall outside my room.

On one side of my door, I have a Totoro poster and a Pokémon poster and the other side is covered in Zelda posters. I also have a Bleach wall scroll, but I can't fit it on the wall in my new room, so it's rolled up.

As for PGs...I'm still surprised that Squid Girl is a 12 I guess Sanae nudges it slightly out of the PG box.

I have Ergo Proxy, Gunslinger Girl and... ummm something else on textile posters. They aren't up in my flat though but in my dad's garage I think at the mo.

In my actual living space these days I have a signed Wildhearts poster and a few original paintings by a guy called Tyla who was the singer for a band named The Dogs D'amour. I used to have loads of posters in my old room, I guess they're all back at my parent's place. Always worry about putting stuff up in these rented London flats.

I have to say I am disappointed with that little "if black athletes are winning, there must a special reason why" segment during the Olympic coverage on BBC the other day. Though I shouldn't really be surprised as I've seen the same thing on TV a few times recently.

It's just absolute bollocks. And linking slavery to African American and Caribbean athletic success? I'm sorry, but it makes absolutely no sense! Genes play a small part, yes, but they are NOT the reason why black athletes are out sprinting white athletes and Asian athletes. It's actually quite insulting.

vashdaman said:
Genes play a small part, yes, but they are NOT the reason why black athletes are out sprinting white athletes and Asian athletes. It's actually quite insulting.
Stereotyping people because of their race is never a fair thing to do, but I always think... How did the stereotype get there if there wasn't at least some measure of truth to it? It is of course bad to make a sweeping statement like "Black people are more athletic" but if you were to ask the questions "Does a person with certain physical characteristics (determined by their genetic make-up) have greater potential to be a good sprinter than someone who lacks them?" and "Are certain physical characteristics more predominant in people of different races?" then I think the answer to both of those questions is yes.

We're all human and we all deserve to be treated equally, but it's a fallacy to think we're all equally capable of achieving the same things. There are probably rare exceptional people who excel in whatever they choose to do, but our genetics do make most of us more capable in some areas and less in others. People can educate themselves to increase their knowledge or exercise to increase their fitness, but they can't increase their height or expand their level of intelligence. You can only work within the framework you're given.

I think it's important that in seeking not to discriminate against people because of their differences, we don't try to deny that those differences are there. And they're there to be celebrated, IMO. Vive la différence, as the cheese eating surrender monkeys say.

Ayase is right, there is some truth in the suggestion that people of a certain genetic background are more likely to succeed in certain areas. It is not racist to acknowledge these differences; acknowledging that we are not all equal in ability does not mean you think we are not all equal in rights and value.

The culture of the athlete's country makes more difference though. In some countries you grow up having to do a lot more hard work than in others, and this adversity makes them stronger. Both nature and nurture are contributing factors, but more the latter.

Back