The General Conversation Area

mangaman74 said:
Morning Chaos, Tachi.

Like Zin5ki, my exercise is limited to walking. I don't see the point in paying to exercise (gym membership) when I can walk free of charge.

Mornin manga,

I know what you mean about rather exercising for free, the main reason i joined a gym in the first place is partly explained in my earlier post...i spent years building up my legs for speed and strength, completely left my arms to normal day to day usage. So in my own words "my arms didn't look right because they wheren't in proportion to the rest of me". Hence why i focus on building my arms up....and i must say i have seen a nice difference in both size and strength :D my idea was to look abit bigger and filled out, now i've almost fully completed that, my gym membership might not be needed soon.

Its horrible to see kids that are no more that 5years old, waddling around because their obese. I take into account that there are some mental health issues with some of them. But generally speaking, their excuse for being so large can consist of "i get depressed, so i eat, then i see how fat i am, and i become depressed, so i eat more" its rubbish in my opinion. If i was depressed, i'd take a step back and try and work a better way forward.

mangaman74 said:
Like Zin5ki, my exercise is limited to walking. I don't see the point in paying to exercise (gym membership) when I can walk free of charge
More likely a case of what you want to build. Also, depends on general physical condition in the first place. For instance heavier exercise also helps you relieve stress. Only walking leave your back weak, which could lead to back pains, if your general posture is bad.

There is value to going to a gym, but certain people do exercise nicely on their own, without having to pay for a gym. As for me, I don't have the necessary discipline to and the idea of paying for it in a certain way forces me to go.

In a way it's just like teeth or getting obese. While there is the lack of care, there are also genetic factors that contribute to having bad teeth / being fat.

A friend of mine eats normally, but her hormones are f*cked up (she has lupus), so she can't lose weight regardless of what she does and she can't go on heavy diets too, because they her overall health is poor.

Ryo Chan said:
1 hour 30 till i go to the physiotherapist :(
Good luck Ryo! Make it back alive!

Tachi- said:
I know what you mean about rather exercising for free, the main reason i joined a gym in the first place is partly explained in my earlier post...i spent years building up my legs for speed and strength, completely left my arms to normal day to day usage. So in my own words "my arms didn't look right because they wheren't in proportion to the rest of me". Hence why i focus on building my arms up....and i must say i have seen a nice difference in both size and strength :D my idea was to look abit bigger and filled out, now i've almost fully completed that, my gym membership might not be needed soon.
Maintenance is important too Tachi. But then again, if you have the discipline, just buy some free weights and you're done.

Tachi- said:
Its horrible to see kids that are no more that 5years old, waddling around because their obese. I take into account that there are some mental health issues with some of them. But generally speaking, their excuse for being so large can consist of "i get depressed, so i eat, then i see how fat i am, and i become depressed, so i eat more" its rubbish in my opinion. If i was depressed, i'd take a step back and try and work a better way forward.
You're oversimplinfying things here a bit though. =P
Depression is a mental illness, some have inner strenght to get out of it on their own. Some don't.
I've been feeling depressed recently (not about my weight though) for reasons I've mentioned in previous occasions, but my attitude has always been a positive one. It's f*cked up now, yes it is. What the hell am I doing wrong? Can I resolve things on my own or do I need? Can I get help?

Notice that many people take a lifetime to realize they are doing things wrong and some others never realize they have a problem at all...

In the case you've mentioned above, obesity is a consequence, not the problem itself.

chaos said:
In a way it's just like teeth or getting obese. While there is the lack of care, there are also genetic factors that contribute to having bad teeth / being fat.

Yeah thats true, i guess its partially genetics and partially lifestyle though. my gf is normal weight (BMI calculated) but her older sister, who's only a year younger than me is the size of a house. The rest of their family is normal sized, but the oldest goes to the pub more than i do and doesn't do much

Chaos said:
Maintenance is important too Tachi. But then again, if you have the discipline, just buy some free weights and you're done.

Yeah i know what you mean, if training only one part of my body and leaving the rest has taught me anything its "all things in equality and moderation".

Chaos said:
Depression is a mental illness, some have inner strenght to get out of it on their own. Some don't.
I've been feeling depressed recently (not about my weight though) for reasons I've mentioned in previous occasions, but my attitude has always been a positive one. It's f*cked up now, yes it is. What the hell am I doing wrong? Can I resolve things on my own or do I need? Can I get help?

I was using the term depressed very loosely, i'd class someone who says their depressed as just overreacting or just upset with something. Depression tends to be something that has to be highlighted to the person (usually by a doctor or someone with qualifications to prove understanding of health issues) before they can admit/come to terms with having depression. There's apparantly a "Fat gene" but thats up for speculation, as said before, habits and lifestyle also play a part in it.

Chaos said:
Notice that many people take a lifetime to realize they are doing things wrong and some others never realize they have a problem at all...

This is true, but if we lived in a world with no faults, it'd be boring :p

Chaos said:
In the case you've mentioned above, obesity is a consequence, not the problem itself.
Its a consequence of either habit, mentality or lifestyle. It only becomes a problem when healthcare has to provide more than they would for a "normal" sized person or when we start widening doorways to get people in places. ;)

Tachi- said:
chaos said:

Yeah thats true, i guess its partially genetics and partially lifestyle though. my gf is normal weight (BMI calculated) but her older sister, who's only a year younger than me is the size of a house. The rest of their family is normal sized, but the oldest goes to the pub more than i do and doesn't do much
Yep, both factors matters. I just highlighted that it's unfair to class everyone who is overweight as lazy =P

Tachi- said:
Chaos said:

Yeah i know what you mean, if training only one part of my body and leaving the rest has taught me anything its "all things in equality and moderation".
I've also learned in physio recently that free weights are way better than any machine, because you have to correct your posture yourself, rather than rely on a machine, which usually helps you train better. I've also learned how much more difficult it is to do exercises on one of those half-medicine balls instead of the floor....

Tachi- said:
Chaos said:

I was using the term depressed very loosely, i'd class someone who says their depressed as just overreacting or just upset with something. Depression tends to be something that has to be highlighted to the person (usually by a doctor or someone with qualifications to prove understanding of health issues) before they can admit/come to terms with having depression. There's apparantly a "Fat gene" but thats up for speculation, as said before, habits and lifestyle also play a part in it.
I think you're mixing depression with clinical depression. Regular depression is a feeling of sadness, helplessness, hopelessness (sic?) which can be overcome on the person own's strenght. Clinical depression is like you said though and it's a little more complicated.

Tachi- said:
Chaos said:
Its a consequence of either habit, mentality or lifestyle. It only becomes a problem when healthcare has to provide more than they would for a "normal" sized person or when we start widening doorways to get people in places. ;)
Or all three of them, as it's the case more often than not.
Widening doorways.... =P That's where political correctness went wrong, I believe =P

chaos said:
Hey Voddas, not too bad. A bit anxious today though, as loads of interesting things are about to happen =)
I heard mate. All I can say is good luck and you'll have to fill us once all the excitment has passed. :thumb:

mangaman74 said:
Afternoon Voddas. Been busy as work today. How are you?
Snap! I too am very busy at the moment. I'm pulling out my Key Staff Trainer bit and have been put in charge of training some newbies. They've kept me busy. It's been fun actually, plus one of them is my mates younger brother.
I'm not treating him any differently from the others of course. :twisted:

Political corecctness? what is this strange phrase you use? I've never bothered with it myself ;)

currently eating noodles, rice and mixed meat. Drinking Galaxy milkshake, have mars milkshake in waiting, and a Fanta Fruit twist 2 litre bottle for after that. Good times 8)

Voddas said:
chaos said:
Hey Voddas, not too bad. A bit anxious today though, as loads of interesting things are about to happen =)
I heard mate. All I can say is good luck and you'll have to fill us once all the excitment has passed. :thumb:
Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted.

Edit: Yep, they've grilled me down :p
A lot harder than I expected, but it was acutally a nice thing to give me a reality check. ;_;

Yay, my arch nemesis was suspended from where we both work. :D I suspect there will be celebrations at work if he does finally get fired, because he pisses off everyone there.

Morning folks!

Planned on just playing a skirmish on Valkyria last night but ended up getting stuck in. I must be near the end now. Great game.

Mutsumi said:
Yay, my arch nemesis was suspended from where we both work. :D I suspect there will be celebrations at work if he does finally get fired, because he pisses off everyone there.
Mind sharing more details ? The story sounds deliciously interesting :p Hurrah gossip!

I've completed Bayonetta twice on Normal now. Once on a friends PS3 and once on my own. Still haven't got round to completing it in Very Easy, Easy or Hard yet like.

Have you played Valkyria yet, or are you waiting for some free time and less games?

Hey everybody,

Just read through the rest of the bleach manga that i'd left to sit to one side and grow. Just how long will this series go on? to be honest there's times when i find the story is really dragging its heels and almost makes me want to just close the damn thing and leave it alone. But then a random character appears out of the woodwork and i'm sort of interested in what's going on again.

It's a catch 22 situation too, its full of dialog full of;
"haha, you thought you had me didn't you?"
"damn, yes i thought i had him that time"
"i know you'd miss because i'm untouchable haha"
"damn, he's untouchable"

2 pages of that passes and you get a "surprise"
"huh? you managed to cut me?"
"Yes i know i managed to cut you, its because i have this secret power"
"i too have a secret power, i pulled it out of thin air because its power is so unbelievable now"
"wow, he has a new power that i didn't expect (insert shocked face here)"

Gets annoying ¬_¬
I know the dialog is how the story unfolds (unless a narrator pops up out of nowhere and starts telling the story) but jesus's penis' sake, give me a break with the boring talk and get to the good bits!

Back