The General Conversation Area

same way that Oban Star Racer is an anime

despite being made in France

then we have Cities of Gold ect ect

it's not where it's made, it's the style that counts

Ryo Chan said:
it's not where it's made, it's the style that counts
Don't agree with that at all.

Oban Star Racer and Mysterious Cities were French/Japanese co-productions and therefore can legitimately be called anime. Avatar has nothing to do with Japan whatsoever. It's like when western comic artists regard their work as manga because the characters have big eyes.

it's all right saying Avatar is an american Cartoon, but it's Korean, so it's not even that

incidently, are we saying that the shakesphere in love manga's aren't manga cause Sonia is British?

My personal view is that manga is a term used to describe comics produced in Japan or by a Japanese writer/artist. Japanese comics are so vastly diverse in style and subject matter that the only common factor they have is their country of origin.

But I'm not saying that's the absolute truth. If you think that style is more important I don't have a problem with that.

I have a massive problem with it - how is there even a concept that suggests that Koike Kazuo and Azuma Kiyohiko draw the same "style" of comics?

We have anime because its made in Japan (mostly) through and through but we call the rest animation, no matter where its from. That's just the way the geeks worked it out when anime started to find footing in America and over here. I'd probably call Korean comics manwha, though.

It's basically the "what is moé?" debate.

ilmaestro said:
I have a massive problem with it - how is there even a concept that suggests that Koike Kazuo and Azuma Kiyohiko draw the same "style" of comics?

But any definition of anime or manga is very problematic. If anime/manga are defined as being produced in Japan for a Japanese audience ... then what is Afro Samurai? If it's a stylistic thing, then you're example shows the problems with such a definition. If no one can properly define anime or manga, then I don't think it matters whether someone calls their work anime or manga.

CitizenGeek said:
ilmaestro said:

But any definition of anime or manga is very problematic. If anime/manga are defined as being produced in Japan for a Japanese audience ... then what is Afro Samurai? If it's a stylistic thing, then you're example shows the problems with such a definition. If no one can properly define anime or manga, then I don't think it matters whether someone calls their work anime or manga.

only definition ive seen for "anime" is japanese animation, unless the dictionary I have is lying to me?

Ultimately everyone has a slightly different definition. To a Japanese person "anime" can be any kind of animation. To an anime fan who isn't into normal animation, it differentiates stuff aimed at the Japanese market from the rest of the medium. And to a more casual fan, all of the "grey area" content such as non-Japanese animation made in Asia, western-commissioned anime or western animation which borrows styles, settings and themes from Japan is usually lumped in with anime as well.

In the case of Avatar I'd personally say it's not anime by my definition as a westerner - it has nothing to do with Japan (aside from one faction in the series who aren't mentioned very often) and from watching it I'd say it heavily borrows from kung fu films far more than from anime aside from the superficial character design similarities. I thought Avatar was tremendously good fun, much better than I was expecting for something which borrowed so heavily, so whether people want to call it anime or not doesn't bother me so much. I think that the US should be proud to call it western animation though (I'm ignoring that it was animated in Korea as most things are lately); it's one of the precious few series I've enjoyed in the last few years from them and there are a lot of western values/style choices in there to complement the nods to Asian traditions.

Sort of scared about the movie but trying to keep an open mind until I see it.

The topic reminds me a little of the annoyance I always privately feel when I am in a comic shop and non-manga - in the strict sense of the word- is mixed in with the manga; I'm not interested in reading romantic Korean comics I've never heard of so it's a distracted when I'm browsing. My husband however doesn't care where it comes from and is much more open to impulse purchases than I am (I can't stand them!), so he likes the types being mixed together to give him more choice. Of course the comic store owners won't know which is which anyway unless they happen to be enthusiasts too and there's very little practical difference between The Wallflower and any similar manhwa if you're just looking for a new series. I suppose it's the nature of fandom to become very particular about things like that.

Edit: I was going to excise this discussion and make it into its own topic as it's interesting to people who don't usually stray into this thread as well, however this thread is so large the forum software seems to choke when I try to split it, sorry!

R

CitizenGeek said:
ilmaestro said:

But any definition of anime or manga is very problematic.
Only because people make it a problem by introducing meanings that, ironically, render the word meaningless. And regardless, I wasn't talking about a definition of "manga" I was talking about the concept of a "manga style".

Jayme said:
We have anime because its made in Japan (mostly) through and through but we call the rest animation, no matter where its from. That's just the way the geeks worked it out when anime started to find footing in America and over here. I'd probably call Korean comics manwha, though.

It's basically the "what is moé?" debate.
isn't manhwa a chinese comic as well?

Changes always take time to get used to, but I'm not sure if everything after the words "Media Discussion" is needed, as that can easily go in the smaller text underneath.

Jayme said:
Changes always take time to get used to, but I'm not sure if everything after the words "Media Discussion" is needed, as that can easily go in the smaller text underneath.

Just seems unnecessary that's all.

Daaaaaamn i'm bored today.

I think it tidies the place up a bit. If you look at the first page of the new subforum, you'll see that there's only been 20 active topics in the last month--and that's with all those other subforums combined! Glad the gaming forum's been left alone though.

Jayme said:
What up with nobody mentioning the music subforum getting grouped together?

Because I did it at 3am and er...forgot to :(

Comment added now in the suggestions thread where it last came up.

R

I'm prepared to get bitched at by my head of year today. I decided i'm gonna wear my new Viper Tactical Boots to school, cus they're waterproof n ****, but she'll probably deem them inappropriate. It sucks though cause, most people dont even look at the uniform code.

Back