The General Conversation Area

Update kinda.

Did a self diagnosis on the tv and it picks up the devices fine (just ya know no picture on the Switch or sound from the soundbar)

Tested the cables. Even just bought a brand new one but still no luck.

Tested the devices. Sound bar still plays its inbuilt demo song fine and switch gave audio input through the soundbar (but no picture to tv). At best from this I could say maybe it's the soundbar hdmi port but that wouldn't explain why I have the same issue with the Switch then.

Might say screw it and call lg support on Tuesday when they open. I dunno what else I can do.
have you tried turning ARC (and maybe HDMI-CEC (try it on both tv and switch)) off on the tv and telling the sound to come through the soundbar directly?

have you tried turning ARC (and maybe HDMI-CEC (try it on both tv and switch)) off on the tv and telling the sound to come through the soundbar directly?
Yup it was the first thing I checked. I called LG support on Tuesday and they are sending a repairman as they think it might be a faulty main board.

Yup it was the first thing I checked. I called LG support on Tuesday and they are sending a repairman as they think it might be a faulty main board.
That sucks dude, nothing worse than a beautiful new piece of kit not playing ball. Hope they can sort it out quickly (or at least more quickly than Virgin media sort out their useless service issues - 11 months and waiting...).

Got my first vaccination a couple days ago!! I didn't expect it to take this much out of me though, so I'm skipping gym this weekend.....far too nauseous and I have had migraines. I will just rest!

one last suggestion because i've just experienced a similar problem with a different tv i've moved to, have you tried messing with the colorspace, should mention RBG and YUV442 in the options

my newer tv wouldn't display signal via hdmi from my reciever on certain inputs but would if connected straight to the tv so when i hooked it back up to the older tv and turned the colorspace setting back to the default the video signal displayed perfectly fine on the reciever through the newer tv

one last suggestion because i've just experienced a similar problem with a different tv i've moved to, have you tried messing with the colorspace, should mention RBG and YUV442 in the options

my newer tv wouldn't display signal via hdmi from my reciever on certain inputs but would if connected straight to the tv so when i hooked it back up to the older tv and turned the colorspace setting back to the default the video signal displayed perfectly fine on the reciever through the newer tv
I did play with RGB but don't recall a setting called YUV442, I will take a look for it. Thanks :)

For the past couple of years, I’ve had a pretty unbroken run of work through art commission servers on discord to supplement my longer term contracts, but it‘s looking like that well has finally dry. I’m loathe to do it because their fees are so high now, but it looks like I’ll have to go back to to scouring the job hosting sites like Upwork and People Per Hour again.

For the past couple of years, I’ve had a pretty unbroken run of work through art commission servers on discord to supplement my longer term contracts, but it‘s looking like that well has finally dry. I’m loathe to do it because their fees are so high now, but it looks like I’ll have to go back to to scouring the job hosting sites like Upwork and People Per Hour again.

Good luck! I believe in you! :)

I've decided to learn how to speak and listen Japanese (not read and write as I have tried it before and really couldn't handle it), does anyone have any good resources for this? I have the Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese book to start me off and I'm thinking of getting a dedicated Japanese grammar book, any recommendations? :)

I also want to learn guitar, and already have an acoustic one, if anyone has anything they'd recommend for getting started with that? I'm not very well coordinated so something for learning how to read and play chords would be great (I tried learning before but I've forgotten pretty much everything of the not much I previously learned so I'm basically a beginner again 😭)

I've decided to learn how to speak and listen Japanese (not read and write as I have tried it before and really couldn't handle it), does anyone have any good resources for this? I have the Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese book to start me off and I'm thinking of getting a dedicated Japanese grammar book, any recommendations? :)
I took lessons previously and got fairly decent, thgouh I haven't practiced in years so I doubt I could hold any kind of conversation that isn't a greeting.

I know you said you didn't want reading but there is a resource called wanikani which I once used which teaches writing ontop of listening and pronounciation and uses mnemonics to help with memorization. There is a free trial which will give you a good taste and it's honestly the best resource I have ever come across.

Link

It does recomend you try to learn hiragana before you start but it links you to absolute beginner resources written by the same team as well.

I took lessons previously and got fairly decent, thgouh I haven't practiced in years so I doubt I could hold any kind of conversation that isn't a greeting.

I know you said you didn't want reading but there is a resource called wanikani which I once used which teaches writing ontop of listening and pronounciation and uses mnemonics to help with memorization. There is a free trial which will give you a good taste and it's honestly the best resource I have ever come across.

Link

It does recomend you try to learn hiragana before you start but it links you to absolute beginner resources written by the same team as well.

That actually does look pretty awesome, I'll seriously consider it, though my main goal is still to speak and listen. Remember when a bunch of people on here kept on extolling the virtues of credit cards to you and you were like seriously c'mon everyone drop it I don't want one! (and rightly so, in my opinion). Well, that's a bit like how I feel about reading and writing Japanese right now - I'm not dead against it, but I hope that I will not encounter an avalanche of people trying to convince me that it's pointless to learn speaking and listening unless I learn reading and writing, because I remain unconvinced that I am capable of handling it (I am disabled and neuroatypical so my learning style is not the standard I think). I know you are not saying that what I want to do is pointless, honestly this isn't even really directed at you just a general point for everyone on here to keep in mind, as I have seen some people elsewhere be very condescending and persistent with others who just wanted to speak and listen Japanese. But tbf I think this forum and it's members, you included, are unlikely to behave that way :) Also I like the wanikani crab-dinosaur creature illustration :) I hope that if you want to you can resume learning Japanese again one day too :)

Back