The General Conversation Area

there's oops i made a mistake situations and then there's an uh-oh i made a mistake situation
decided to finally cave and look at getting Utawarerumono Zan because it was cheap for like £10-15 and it doesn't seem to be below £30 now oops

One bit of advice I've learnt over the last couple weeks is to cherish every moment and every person in your life, because you never know when it will be the last time you see someone.

On the bright side, looks like summer might be returning from tomorrow

One bit of advice I've learnt over the last couple weeks is to cherish every moment and every person in your life, because you never know when it will be the last time you see someone.

I'm so sorry to hear that Kite, hope you're taking care of yourself

I'm so sorry for your loss :( <3 Be kind to yourself. And your advice is very wise as well.

I don't think there's a thread on here about what the anime community prefer there blu rays in. Should it be in a digipack, jewel case, or steelbook.

Personally I don't have many steelbooks but they are growing on me. In fact if they started producing more I would probably start collecting them.

I don't think there's a thread on here about what the anime community prefer there blu rays in. Should it be in a digipack, jewel case, or steelbook.

Personally I don't have many steelbooks but they are growing on me. In fact if they started producing more I would probably start collecting them.
I guess I like digipaks in a nice slipcase myself but I'm happy to settle for amarays which is what 99% of media comes in anyway.

Digipacks easily for me. They have a quality look to them that reminds me of books and record sleeves with the printing actually on a cardboard cover and they last, which can't really be said of Amarays (sure, they seem solid to begin with but being made of relatively soft plastic they will warp and the insert sleeve will wrinkle and I've never liked the blue anyway) or steelbooks, which while they do look nice scratch very easily, and as soon as the moisture gets into those scratches you can kiss its nice appearance (and that of any other steelbook next to it) goodbye. And I'd rather my things stayed looking reasonable without me having to keep them in protective sleeves like some of you maniacs on here. So digis are the best.

Jewel cases (I'm presuming you're talking about the hard plastic ones that are like DVD sized CD cases) are a rarity these days, and I can't think of a single instance of them being used for anime outside of Japan, but they are very nice.

I just want Amarays. No slipcovers, nothing else - just a hard plastic box with some discs inside.

I'm really not really interested in fancy boxes (or most of the other stuff that come with all those collector's editions) 😅

Digipaks in a chipboard slipbox all the way for me, my #1 preference - I started importing UK CE sets from AL specifically because of all their CE releases with digipaks. Steelbooks are my second choice; I never collected steelbooks for live action movies, but now that anime is being released more and more in steelbooks, I'm hooked. And @ayase, I am trying to put ALL my anime releases in plastic box protectors, at least all of them I can find boxes to fit, so I've already covered way more than just my steelbooks.

Last edited:
I've cut back buying Anime over the last 2 years so almost only buy Collector/Limited Edition sets now

I would prefer hardcase + digipak but will buy hardcase + Amaray if its the only option.

Steelbooks scratch way to easily so I'm not a huge fan of them

I like Amarays but not the flimsy 'eco' ones, which end up being a false economy when they bend and break so easily in transit. They end up being thrown away instead of being kept and valued. The idea of using less plastic is good but it really doesn't actually work, and instead just makes me feel bad about how cheap and crummy my £30 BD set feels in my hand. Boxes are always nice no matter what's inside them since they accommodate more creative shelving options, unless they're the massive boxes which don't actually fit anywhere!

I have loads of rare releases and don't sleeve/cover anything because I'm terrible and ultimately, packaging is supposed to be packaging to me. However nice it looks.

R

@ayase, I am trying to put ALL my anime releases in plastic box protectors, at least all of them I can find boxes to fit, so I'v3 already covered way more than just my steelbooks.
Brutal honesty time - While it’s really none of my concern what anybody else does with their possessions, I have to wonder what anyone is really protecting their media collections for. Everything returns to dust eventually (not just the media, I mean I feel pretty ancient already and you’re nearly twice as ancient as I am GWG, not to say that I won’t be returning to dust myself before you do, that’s entirely possible) but it’s not like this stuff is going to be worth anything in the future once it’s replaced with 32k holograms beamed directly into our brains, so it’s not like it’s an investment that’s going to appreciate in value.

I like Amarays but not the flimsy 'eco' ones, which end up being a false economy when they bend and break so easily in transit. They end up being thrown away instead of being kept and valued. The idea of using less plastic is good but it really doesn't actually work, and instead just makes me feel bad about how cheap and crummy my £30 BD set feels in my hand. Boxes are always nice no matter what's inside them since they accommodate more creative shelving options, unless they're the massive boxes which don't actually fit anywhere!

I have loads of rare releases and don't sleeve/cover anything because I'm terrible and ultimately, packaging is supposed to be packaging to me. However nice it looks.

R

I completely agree with what you said about "eco" DVD and Blu-ray cases - it is a false economy and I view it as greenwashing because it's encouraging people to view these things as disposable rather than keep and preserve them and pass them on, which I absolutely hate.

Brutal honesty time - While it’s really none of my concern what anybody else does with their possessions, I have to wonder what anyone is really protecting their media collections for. Everything returns to dust eventually (not just the media, I mean I feel pretty ancient already and you’re nearly twice as ancient as I am GWG, not to say that I won’t be returning to dust myself before you do, that’s entirely possible) but it’s not like this stuff is going to be worth anything in the future once it’s replaced with 32k holograms beamed directly into our brains, so it’s not like it’s an investment that’s going to appreciate in value.

Well, the main idea is if the releases are kept in pristine condition by the box protectors, then it will be easier to sell them and to get the best price for them whenever I do sell them - or I die and my two daughters have to sell them. There will be a point eventually that I'm sure I will want to get rid of a lot of them, as I'm no spring chicken anymore, lol. so that's why they either go in box protectors, resealable bags, or I leave the shrink wrap on them and slice a door on the open side to get the contents out - at least the packaging will remain in excellent condition.

I was going to ask this in the movie thread, but as this thread seems to get a bit more notice

What are your favorite Hirokazu Koreeda films?

I've seen Nobody Knows and still need to watch Our Little Sister

But I've looked through some of his other stuff and every time I read a few lines into the plot and think /that sounds like a really interesting watch/. Its got to the point where I would give all his films a try

So... whats your favorite?

I go to see each new Koreeda film at my local indie cinema and would highly recommend Shoplifters, which I think is just brilliant. I could also recommend you After the Storm.
I second that, Shoplifters is certainly brilliant.
But I've looked through some of his other stuff and every time I read a few lines into the plot and think /that sounds like a really interesting watch/. Its got to the point where I would give all his films a try
Heheh I get exactly the same feeling, all his films sound fascinating. I've got a few of his on my watchlist to get around to at some point. Had high expectations of Our Little Sister but was a bit underwhelmed when I saw that a while back though I feel like I need to give it another watch.

Back