The General Conversation Area

have you tried drawing backgrounds? :p its a horrible thing to achieve a good effect and make it look like the characters are there.

You're right though but i'm not going to worry myself by looking at them now, i've got bigger fish to fry, mainly my inability to draw hands and feet, and then i'm going to try and draw some giant robots, something for me is an embrassement when i can't get them right :p

Yeah i have :) i took General art as a subject for GCSE's and walked out with a nice grade :) (not going to brag)

I know its tough drawing characters as if their in the room. thats when you should practice your skills on still life. if your aiming to make the characters the focal point on the other hand, i'd suggest taking a ganders at pop art....no its not pop up art before anyone says anything.

the still life you'd work on depth and shadowing. focal points and things that are intecactable in anime are always completely different in colour and texture to the surrounding backgrounds, thats when they implement the pop art. mainly because its something that the designers don't have to precisely match it to the background.....but lets take a studio ghibli shot for instance....beautiful backgrounds....and the characters are plain colours, it works well because 2 differen teams draw the background art and the character anime. don't put yourself down till you've really tried hard :)

can't i just do that last part though? you know get someone else to do backgrounds? :p Besides i probably wouldn't be in this kind of situlation if i hadn't dropped Art back in GCSE (although to be fair, the lack of a teacher for the forseeable future at the time made it an easier choice then dealing with supply teachers who probably didn't know what they were talking about)

but alas i'll just stick with my skills for now, i'm still not on a set colouring system for characters let alone throwing backgrounds into the mix (take a gander at the first page of my art thread to see what i mean)

The rain here is down to roughly two percent of today's peak rate. I managed to avoid two monsoon-like downpours by pure luck.

This evening I made a tortilla out of Spam, drank some Ginger beer Pimm's and then found out I got a 2:1 in Philosophy for this year. I'd like to think the first two things influenced the third, but I can't work out how.

Here's hoping BlackWolf finds the food.

Ryo Chan said:
i'm interested in how you even came to the conclution i was talking to you, your previous post was 3 posts above about random keyboard talk :D

IDK i never noticed you directing comments to anyone before, I just made it my conclution to bump ya no bumping back

in other news i have seen Ice age 3 at the cinema today, plus i had fish&chips for tea rather tasty with a dash of MJ death talk

I will now commence more keyboard talk

<php>

EDIT: lols it' didn't like my php syntax :p

Otaku-san said:
i drink when im pissed
and pissed when im drunk

HOOOOO

Hah, that goes with your avatar perfectly!

Gah, I just tried and failed to submit this message 3 times only to find I was pressing the "preview" button, and that I submitted 3 useless posts instead.

I think I need to sleep...

I took Kayleigh to see ice age 3 :) its an alright film....i go for the squirrel/rat comedy mostly.

Oh and Simon pegg, he's funny :)

With all this Micheal Jackson talk anyone would think he's dead ¬_¬

Well....i'll get back to my breakfast at work *pulls out 3 cherry muffins and a 2 litre bottle of iron bru*

Tachi, your gf's name is pure win :) was she named after the marillion song?

The squirrel's name is scratch =) He is the best in all Ice Age movies.

I dunno, i'll ask her later :lol:

I thought its name was Scrat? :S
but yeah he's the main reason i watch the films. in a way its like a prehistoric looney toons cayote who no matter what he tries...ends up getting into tremendously painful situations...infact there's a part in the third movie where he reminds me of a looney toons road runner moment :p

Morning all. Wow, I missed out on a bit of discussion yesterday afternoon...
chaos said:
"It is not clear from the Japanese whether Rally's name is intended to be "Irene" or "Eileen" but the official English translation uses Irene. In several European editions of the manga, most notably in the Italian one, it is "Aileen". Since L's and R's are mostly interchangeable in Japanese to English translations, the main character's name is often translated as Rally Vincent, and this has become the standard. However, at the 1993 Anime America convention Kenichi Sonoda, when asked a question about the character, started his answer with "It's Larry, not Rally." This is further backed up in the manga where in one scene she is receiving a fax from Becky (about Riff-Raff), and the note scrawled on it addresses her as Larry."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunsmith_Cats

So, is it Rally or Larry?
Who knows but the original author? In Black Lagoon while it's pretty much accepted that Revy is the character's name, it's shortened from Rebecca which makes it more likely that the original intention was that it should have been Reby. The same thing that happens with L & R happens with B & V as well (sove people even thought it should be Levy) I think often, whatever proves to be the most popular translation simply becomes the de facto official version. Which is interesting as I've seen a couple of Japanese Zeta Gundam products with "Quattro Vageena" written on them. I wonder why that wasn't adopted as his official English name..? :lol:

Makes me think of the scene in Death Note where the subs and dub say "Larry Connors" but the file with the guy's name on the screen reads "Rally Connors". Larry is a more likely English name of course, but WRT Ms. Vincent it certainly isn't a woman's name, which is possibly why Rally has stuck there.

Tachi- said:
I dunno, i'll ask her later :lol:

I thought its name was Scrat? :S
but yeah he's the main reason i watch the films. in a way its like a prehistoric looney toons cayote who no matter what he tries...ends up getting into tremendously painful situations...infact there's a part in the third movie where he reminds me of a looney toons road runner moment :p
I stand corrected. Yep, it's Scrat, not scratch. Scratching is what I was doing today... =P

ayase said:
Who knows but the original author? In Black Lagoon while it's pretty much accepted that Revy is the character's name, it's shortened from Rebecca which makes it more likely that the original intention was that it should have been Reby. The same thing that happens with L & R happens with B & V as well (sove people even thought it should be Levy) I think often, whatever proves to be the most popular translation simply becomes the de facto official version. Which is interesting as I've seen a couple of Japanese Zeta Gundam products with "Quattro Vageena" written on them. I wonder why that wasn't adopted as his official English name..? :lol:

Makes me think of the scene in Death Note where the subs and dub say "Larry Connors" but the file with the guy's name on the screen reads "Rally Connors". Larry is a more likely English name of course, but WRT Ms. Vincent it certainly isn't a woman's name, which is possibly why Rally has stuck there.
LOL at Quattro Vageena. So, it's 4. mmm

And yeah, I know about b an v as well. My uncle used B most of the times instead of V, which caused the whole family to say that he was trying to speak some sort of spanish-portuguese mix.

Morning all! Gah! Ayase, it's too early in the morning... *yawns*

My eyes are hurting today. My own fault like. Finally managed to get "Prototype" on the go and sat and played it till 2am.... then, instead of going to bed I watched the first two episodes of Higashi no Eden. Enjoying the series so far and the animation is easy on the eyes. I'd suggest people take a look into this. ^__^

It's an aukn emergancy.... I hope non of those are mine from aaaggeess ago Ayase!! :evil:

*yawns again* My god! I think I'll have that coffee now. :p

Back