The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Something strange about the idea that for people who spend most of their time fighting in potentially deadly battles (well, theoretically potentially deadly since I'm not sure anyone has ever actually died) "Extreme" includes things like tug of war, hula hoop, volleyball and relaxing on beaches.

Don't know if this has been posted and I missed it (apologies if so) but apparently PS2 emulation is now possible on the PS4... There are only a couple of star wars games supported so far. Supposedly 2D content is just upscaled but 3D content is actually rendered at a higher resolution.

Here's hoping they support Star Ocean Till the end of time at some point :)

msgeek said:
Don't know if this has been posted and I missed it (apologies if so) but apparently PS2 emulation is now possible on the PS4... There are only a couple of star wars games supported so far. Supposedly 2D content is just upscaled but 3D content is actually rendered at a higher resolution.

Here's hoping they support Star Ocean Till the end of time at some point :)

Yeah. When I noticed the Star Wars PS4 bundle had the 3 PS2 included and I was like 'huh?'. It's interesting to see that even the frame rate has improved with those PS2 games.

Apparently there are other PS2 games that are suggested to appear at some point as they've been rated - Ape Escape 2, Dark Chronicle & Twisted Metal: Black. Forbidden Siren was also rumoured but that turned out to be false.

Those ratings were "leaked" some time ago now, I beginning to wonder if they'd shelved anything to do with it. Hopefully with backwards compatibility coming to the XBO as we speak Sony will be motivated to provide something a bit more palatable than PS Now in the near future.

In other news that has occurred just recently, Afro Samurai 2 has been cancelled and the game has been delisted from everywhere with refunds given to everyone. The reason?

The game is broken like mad:

More on this via NeoGAF

Last edited by a moderator:
Recent gaming news:

Double Fine
Tim Schafer have announced plans for a sequel to Psychonauts through a kickstarter style campaign for $3.3 million. If successful, the game will be released on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Mac and Linux.

Idea Factory
The publisher have announced localisation plans for two more titles:
■ Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force - PlayStation 4 (Retail & Digital in EU & US)
■ MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies - PlayStation Vita (Retail & Digital in EU & US)

In addition they're also porting some of their titles to Steam with higher resolution graphics
■ Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart
■ Hyperdimension Neptunia U
■ Monster Monpiece - Online Multiplayer will be removed but all of the original Japanese artwork will be featured

Telltale Games
The developer have announced a new series based on Batman. The episodic series will start in 2016 for home consoles, PC/Mac and mobile devices.

----

And still in rumour stage but pretty much leaked - PS2 Emulation details:
■ Dark Cloud (rumoured to appear due to game rating) is pretty much confirmed.
■ PS2 discs will not be compatible with PlayStation 4.
■ PS2 Classics from PlayStation 3 will not be transferable to PlayStation 4.
■ Additional features for PS2 Emulation include 1080p up-rendering and Trophies.
■ Enchanced features include Shareplay, Remote Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals via Vita or PlayStation App.

Confirmed: Starting tomorrow you'll be able to download the following PlayStation 2 games on PS4!

Dark Cloud — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
The Mark of Kri — $14.99
Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
War of the Monsters — $9.99

These lot will also be coming at some point in the near future:

Arc the Land: Twilight of the Spirits
Fantavision
PaRappa the Rapper 2
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars: Racer Revenge
The King of Fighters 2000

Having these titles available on PS4 is already incredibly exciting for us, but we did not stop there. We have brought these titles forward to meet today’s gaming standards by adding Trophy support! Each title’s Trophy set has been carefully developed in conjunction with feedback from the original creators to be sure that they capture the spirit and feeling of each game.

Also, you will be able to experience all of these PS2 games like never before — in up-rendered 1080p with the features you expect from a PS4 game including Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals with PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App.
Source: PlayStation Blog USA

Yeah, sold on the concept but not on price. None of the games are particularly interesting to me either so far. In terms of what I'd like on the service that I would pay the $15 for, Persona 3 and 4 are up there. I've beaten P4 about 3 times now but I'm always looking for an excuse to play it again. P3 I've only beaten once so that would be so that would be a bigger priority. Burnout 3 would also but up there because it's a fantastic game that is a royal pain to emulate and Sonic Heroes because I have so much nostalgia for that game and it still holds up relatively well.

New trailer for the FF7 remake, including a brief look at the gameplay.

I expected not to care about this, because frankly FF7 was a lifetime ago, I played it to death at the time and FF6 remake or gtfo, but I will admit to being a little bit hyped for it now.

9SLGvo7.jpg
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - First Trailer
Re-enter the magical world of Ni no Kuni in the sequel to the role-playing masterpiece developed by LEVEL-5.
Explore a beautifully animated world and experience the gripping story in an all-new RPG adventure. LEVEL-5 reunites with Yoshiyuki Momose on character design and Music created by Joe Hisaishi in the production of the next Ni no Kuni tale.
http://www.ninokunigame.com/

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.
http://press.na.square-enix.com/release ... experience

Back