The football thread!

Andros Townsend, who Leeds have had on loan from Spurs, decided to end his spell with us earlier today and has now buggered straight off to Birmingham!

What a Southern softy. :p

Mutsumi said:
MaxonTreik said:
Mutsumi said:
Why should I make a thread myself? I do not wish to talk about sport. I was merely making a suggestion which I though some may like, considering how other sports have a following here too.
If people want to make a thread they can. They don't need you to hold their hand.
I know, I just wanted to offer the suggestion, that is all. Didn't expect the unusual defensive reaction over it.

People be defensive as **** where football is concerned ;P

Not sure who I want to win least today.

Cardiff, due to the long standing animosity between them and Leeds?

Or Liverpool, because after being a nastly little man all season, Dalglish could be the first manager to lift silverwear?

I think I'll be leaning towards supporting the underdog.

ilmaestro said:
Great game! Can never decide if I really like penalties or not.

You don't, nobody does, Nobody deserved to go to penalties, they should be scrapped and the trophy should be shared if it reaches that point!

My boys won obviously which I'm obviously happy about, But still can't enjoy because there's still long way yet to go. I hope Cardiff do well, and really hope they put up a good fight for promotion after there performance today and even not have to go to Wembley to achieve it! Overall neither side deserved to lose after their performances in the competition overall!

Great win for the Reds even if the performance wasn't as good as expected (too many long range shots, didn't get behind the Cardiff defence very often). Credit to Cardiff for taking it to pens, hope they don't do an Arsenal (season falls away after losing in the Carling Cup final - one of the commentators on the BBC actually said that as well :lol: ).

The thing I found funny is that for a match involving a team from Wales it took a Liverpool substitute for there to be a Welsh player on the pitch.

Well i'm pleased all round with yesterday.

Arsenal 5 - spurs 2
Liverpool 1 - Cardiff 1 (liverpool winning on penalties, thanks to gerrards cousin fouling their last shot for cardiff)
Man Utd 2 - Norwich 1
(With Ryan Giggs managed to hit a new record for appearances for a single club - 900 and a goal at the very end of the match being highlighted by fergy as probably one of Man Utd most special moments)

The tension at my gf's house was so thick it couldn't even be cut with a sword let alone a knife. The Brother in-law was over the moon with Arsenal's come back, i've gotta say - i didn't expect a result in the second half like they gave.

The gf and her dad are happy with the liverpool outcome. The full 90 mins, extra time and then penalties with both teams riding on the outcome of 1 ball each at the end was really intense, the missus' dad jumped up and shouted "come on, get in" with such enthusiasm that the dogs ran out of the room lol.

I was happy with Man Utd's result, still 2nd in the table and 2 point difference to city so its still to play for, though i think we may need to pull out wins against the rest of the games as its so close right now that without a winning streak we could even lose.

mangaman74 said:
Great win for the Reds even if the performance wasn't as good as expected (too many long range shots, didn't get behind the Cardiff defence very often). Credit to Cardiff for taking it to pens, hope they don't do an Arsenal (season falls away after losing in the Carling Cup final - one of the commentators on the BBC actually said that as well :lol: ).

To be fair, look at the way cardiff where defending... everytime the ball went into their half about 8-9 of them ran and stood in the box, i was even getting annoyed at that, true liverpool weren't passing as well as expected and gerrard skied it when he should have passed, and most of the corners had nothing to show for it. Cardiff played a defensive game after that first goal and to be fair i don't blame them.

The missus called it when i was complaining about bellamy not being on the pitch (shouting "bring the chimp onto the pitch!") saying he'll be put on about the 60minute mark, i'd have thought kenny would have put him on alittle earlier and when he did come on he didn't do his menacing thug chimp run towards the cardiff players.

See this is why Scholes has and will be my favourite player for Man Utd, when he comes onto the pitch you know sh*t just got serious and somebody is about to get two foot tackled into the back of a ambulance :p

Tachi said:
Liverpool 1 - Cardiff 1 (liverpool winning on penalties, thanks to gerrards cousin fouling their last shot for cardiff)

Gerrard's missed his penalty and Liverpool have won the cup...

Tachi said:
The missus called it when i was complaining about bellamy not being on the pitch (shouting "bring the chimp onto the pitch!") saying he'll be put on about the 60minute mark, i'd have thought kenny would have put him on alittle earlier and when he did come on he didn't do his menacing thug chimp run towards the cardiff players.

I think I read somewhere that the chimp has been struggling with a back injury (I don't think he trained much last week). Also (along with Kuyt) I don't think he would have played the whole match so then it's of case of whether you save him as an impact sub and whether you might want him as a penalty taker (like Kuyt).

Im a Man Utd man myself but having to watch Liverpool is part of my duties of being her bf lol LFC TV is always on in her house.

I read that the chimp has been working on his anger issues and as he was on loan to cardiff last season he didn't want to play against them. (taken from the Sun, so if there is any truth in it we'll never know)

Tachi said:
Im a Man Utd man myself but having to watch Liverpool is part of my duties of being her bf lol LFC TV is always on in her house.

I read that the chimp has been working on his anger issues and as he was on loan to cardiff last season he didn't want to play against them. (taken from the Sun, so if there is any truth in it we'll never know)

The chimp was on loan @ Cardiff City last season from Man City then Liverpool signed him on a free in the summer. He doesn't play all the time now as he has problems with his knees.

Also he was born in Cardiff so it is his home town club.

As for anger issues, I know that last time he was a Red it was alleged that he attacked team mate John Arne Riise with a golf club during a team training session in Portugal (The incident earned him the nickname "The Nutter with the Putter") but I thought he was supposed to have calmed down now (there haven't been any fallouts over playing time for instance).

Since you are a Man Utd fan are you worried about the reliance on the old warhorses (Giggs/Scholes)?

Ah, the golfing incident, I remember that after that both Riise and Bellamy scored and Bellars swung his club in a Champions League clash against Barcelona to get them to the last 8 I think? (The year we lost the final), Bookmakers lost a ton that night If I Recall!?

Tachi said:

If it's in The Sun then It most definitely is all a pack of lies, no doubt about that!

It's true Bellamy had to miss a few Days training not long ago due to Back problems which forced him to miss our FA cup tie with Brighton, so full fitness wasn't there! (Same with Agger, who once again unfortunately has picked up his Second Rib Injury this season from the final)

mangaman74 said:
Since you are a Man Utd fan are you worried about the reliance on the old warhorses (Giggs/Scholes)?

Alittle, it was a hard hit for me when Scholes retired (being that he has been my favourite player since i started supporting them when i was 4) It was a really good moral boost when he returned though.

If they were to retire properly from play the field would be alot different to the way it works right now, like voids in the play :/ Without a doubt those two are pillars for Utd and will continue to be until they leave.

Just look at Necastle and Shearer - he was at the club for so long that a thought of the team without him was absurd, though they have done very well since getting relegated - fair play to them they've come back fighting but if you can find me any magpie supporter who wouldn't like to see one of thier legendary players return even for 1 game i'd be very surprised.

Its been known for a long time that Rooney just doesn't perform to the standard that all the hype gave, he had 1 lucky season the other year but then showed it was a flook when he screwed up at the world cup 2 years back.

I'd say keep an eye on Park, he's a quality little player who seems to get into some great places and opportunities for a goal.

Roman should learn from Arsenal and Man Utd. Look at Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger. They are stay at club long time. Sir Alex Ferguson not sack when they out of champion League or not won premiership. But he did great job at Man utd for 20 years

Hahahaha,

Well... what a weekend!

I was very pleased with the Man Utd 3 - Spurs 1 result.
Brilliant header on the 45th minute by rooney secured a late lead to the end of the first half and young further pushed us to victory with 2 goals in the second half. Spurs fans called bias ref after a goal was disallowed due to a hand ball - though looking back at the action replay.... possibly harsh judging from the ref as it may have been more ball to hand if truth be told.

Defoe gave spurs their only goal towards the 80th minute but no come-back streak like the Arsenal result the other week (coming back from 2 - 0 down on the first half and stomped the second half with a 5 - 2 result)

Arsenal V Liverpool on saturday was a bad day for my missus, though we didn't manage to catch the match we listened to 5 live/talk sport and got the coverage that way, memory isn't serving well but one player ended up being stretchered off the pitch due to a elbow/jaw connection that broke the players jaw and knocked them clean out. Sat to see but things like this happen i guess :/ - Anyway, arsenal won the match and Liverpool's high from winning the carling cup was shattered, still they'll come back fighting soon enough i'm sure.

I managed to watch Real Madrid demolish Espanyol 5-0 and even with a performance like that, Mardids manager: Jose Mourinho is still looking to return to English football, with Chelsea sacking their manager the question is - will Jose return to Chelsea or not?

Tachi said:
Hahahaha,

Well... what a weekend!

I was very pleased with the Man Utd 3 - Spurs 1 result.
Brilliant header on the 45th minute by rooney secured a late lead to the end of the first half and young further pushed us to victory with 2 goals in the second half. Spurs fans called bias ref after a goal was disallowed due to a hand ball - though looking back at the action replay.... possibly harsh judging from the ref as it may have been more ball to hand if truth be told.

Defoe gave spurs their only goal towards the 80th minute but no come-back streak like the Arsenal result the other week (coming back from 2 - 0 down on the first half and stomped the second half with a 5 - 2 result)

Looks like a two horse race with the Manchester derby being the title decider (to be fair Spurs haven't won against Man Utd for around 35-40 games in the Premier League).

Tachi said:
Arsenal V Liverpool on saturday was a bad day for my missus, though we didn't manage to catch the match we listened to 5 live/talk sport and got the coverage that way, memory isn't serving well but one player ended up being stretchered off the pitch due to a elbow/jaw connection that broke the players jaw and knocked them clean out. Sat to see but things like this happen i guess :/ - Anyway, arsenal won the match and Liverpool's high from winning the carling cup was shattered, still they'll come back fighting soon enough i'm sure.

Don't think there was a cup hangover. We outplayed Arsenal but 2 defensive lapses plus the season long problem of not taking our chances cost us.

Tachi said:
I managed to watch Real Madrid demolish Espanyol 5-0 and even with a performance like that, Mardids manager: Jose Mourinho is still looking to return to English football, with Chelsea sacking their manager the question is - will Jose return to Chelsea or not?

I think Mourinho will go to Spurs (Redknapp for England). Bet there are plenty of managers eager for a bumper payday (the Chelsea managers job).

Back