The Final Fantasy Debate

L said:
imagesei3.jpg

I'm reading the big red letters and or though it says shooters has the highest gross it says nothing more.
This doesn't prove anything at all.

Just proves that Shooters sell more than rpgs not "killzone" sells more than final fantasy.

I also read that article and i can't see anything else that would be relevant .
You've completely missed my point so let me be as clear as day. Shooters sell more than RPGs, this means that unless everyone who likes FPS games has a fetish where they enjoy buying two copies of their games, the statistics would prove that this genre is the most popular in the market. So are you trying to say that I am wrong in saying that Killzone 2 is more likely to be Sony's trump card as compared to Final Fantasy XIII, when clearly as you said yourself that shooters sell more than any other genre in the market? That's a rhetorical question by the way, because the answer's pretty obvious already.

Espy said:
Killzone probably sold more than FFXII. Us gamers have got to remember that sadly, the majority of the market is the people who buy anything that looks violent or anything like GTA.
Yes, someone who gets my point. Thank you and your common sense.

Liquid Skin said:
Personally i find the likes of Halo and Killzone - incredibly drab and average for my tastes. Its not that i don't like FPSs, i just expect them to push the barriers a lil more than "humans vs aliens" or "humans vs humans" or "aliens vs aliens".
Jericho for example, its certainly not amazing but they've at least expanded on the "shoot things" area to add in a God of War esque button sequence and team dynamics rather than the one-man army scenario we all know too well. I found it immensely refreshing (in my limited venture into FPSs). Its copying the innovators but at least its something rather than nothing. I wont buy the game but it stands out more than "lets add more shiny" (although for a dark game it is outrageously shiny)
I generally agree with what you're saying Liquid Skin, however my point was never regarding which genre was more quality even though to be honest RPGs are no better than FPS games when it comes to changing gameplay elements. My point was that the majority of casual gamers will opt for action games over RPGs, and this is why a game such as Killzone 2 or Little Big Planet is Sony's ace in the hole where as titles such as Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, are mainly aimed towards the console's hardcore audience. Titles like Okami and Ico were excellent, and it also makes me sigh knowing that they didn't get the attention they deserved.

Nemphtis said:
L said:
imagesei3.jpg

I'm reading the big red letters and or though it says shooters has the highest gross it says nothing more.
This doesn't prove anything at all.

Just proves that Shooters sell more than rpgs not "killzone" sells more than final fantasy.

I also read that article and i can't see anything else that would be relevant .
You've completely missed my point so let me be as clear as day. Shooters sell more than RPGs, this means that unless everyone who likes FPS games has a fetish where they enjoy buying two copies of their games, the statistics would prove that this genre is the most popular in the market. So are you trying to say that I am wrong in saying that Killzone 2 is more likely to be Sony's trump card as compared to Final Fantasy XIII, when clearly as you said yourself that shooters sell more than any other genre in the market? That's a rhetorical question by the way, because the answer's pretty obvious already.

Ok then :)
I really just wanted a reason to do the OBJECTION!
With every good game gotta have your critics not my problem if people enjoy the game or not.
:D

Lol rpg's selling more than fps or action games lolz don't make me laugh i don't think facts are even needed just take a stroll to your local games store and see the rpg to fps action ratio or look at the game charts once in a while.
Nemphtis that chav line actually had me laughing, quality, i even read it in a chav accent in my head lol.

LukasROAR said:
Lol rpg's selling more than fps or action games lolz don't make me laugh i don't think facts are even needed just take a stroll to your local games store and see the rpg to fps action ratio or look at the game charts once in a while.
Nemphtis that chav line actually had me laughing, quality, i even read it in a chav accent in my head lol.

Yet another with common sense, I was laughing too I'm sorry to say. I hate calling people fanboys or fangirls, but in all honestly if someone thinks that an RPG has more impact on the gaming industry than a shooter then they're either one of those gamers who play nothing but RPGs thus being completely clueless regarding the rest of the industry or they're simply Final Fantasy fanboys/fangirls who look beyond logic in the hopes that nobody will ever hate on their beloved franchise.

Seriously, RPGs selling more than shooters, what on Earth are some people thinking?! Anyway, it looks like the RPG vs. Shooter debate is finished, because nobody is presenting a worth-while response against my post thus I will now move us onto something new. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Do you think Square made a good decision in making the FFXII sequel on the Nintendo DS to be a real-time strategy game rather than a traditional RPG? Discuss.

I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games, but I do know the storylines of the better ones, at least from a casual point of view.

Since this topic is also about the copies I would like the say that my first experience of the style, Blue Dragon, is a pretty good game in my opinion. Will probably keep me going for quite a bit longer whenever my wireless network starts playing up during Halo 3 multiplayer. :p

Still only on the second disk and it's been one of the longest string storylines I've ever encountered but unfortunately doesn't allow much freedom. If only they could make the achievements more balanced. Hard to get any recognisable points until you start maxing your class and character levels and then they'll all come at once. :?

I'm getting the urge to play it again now. I have to Pwn those damn moon lasers and then I can get back to the real game.

Just my two Cents to the debate above. Whether shooters or RPGs are more popular, both are needed in my opinion. When I'm having a bad day and I keep dieing after two steps from my Halo spawn it feels nice to play an RPG and completely own that dumb rat 20 levels below you. But god the level grinding and repetative pwning of every creature on the map can get just as boring and needs to be interspersed with satisfying headshots and energy sword beatdowns. :wink:

Just FYI, FF VII is the second top-selling Playstation game ever (behind Gran Turismo).

So that's more than any MGS, Tomb Raider, Res Evil, Tekken or whatever else.

PS2-wise, there's three RPGs in the top 10 (KH, FF X and FF XII) and another three in the top 20 (DQ 8, KH 2 and FF X-2). The rest of the top 10 is GTA, GT and MGS...not really shooters.

And Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (niche market RPGs!) have already sold more than Halo, Halo 2 and GOW combined, and they came out THIS YEAR.

All from SOURCED claims at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games by the way

Nemphtis said:
Yet another with common sense, I was laughing too I'm sorry to say. I hate calling people fanboys or fangirls, but in all honestly if someone thinks that an RPG has more impact on the gaming industry than a shooter then they're either one of those gamers who play nothing but RPGs thus being completely clueless regarding the rest of the industry or they're simply Final Fantasy fanboys/fangirls who look beyond logic in the hopes that nobody will ever hate on their beloved franchise.

Nemphtis, you are clearly some kind of bitter, bitter fanboy yourself. Your arguments against Final Fantasy are utter dross (shooters sell better than RPGs, LOL! wtf?) and I've yet to see a rational comment on the series from you.

If you think something like Halo or Half Life had a greater impact on the industry than Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy IV, then you're sadly mistaken. Final Fantasy IV laid out the foundations for RPGs (and not just JRPGs) and Final Fantasy VII was a revelation in it's accesible, yet highly complicated plot and it's state-of-the-art cinematics. Whatever your problem is with Final Fantasy, I suggest you build a bridge and get over it because you have nothing against the series, despite the fact you obviously think you do!

Halo 2 sold about 8 million, while FFVII's sales are close to 10 million. That's a real difference and that demostrates just how popular FF is, even though it's a niche genre in the West.

There are 3 JRPGs in the top 10 of the world's most popular console ever (the PS2) and you're telling me that RPGs mean little in gaming terms?

Seriously, Nemphtis your silly crusade against FF is really quite pathetic and I'm sick of listening to people like you who bash Final Fantasy for stupid, stupid reasons :/

i'm just going by the research that nemphtis posted here, but by the looka things, it never said once about every single last game ever made but in fact the latest in the next gen consoles and not including the likes of the DS or the PS2. In fact by going by that alone, the likes of the infamous FFVII and the likes of FFXII would not be included. Instead it says the majority of sales FOR THIS GENERATION of gaming is with action genre games, the majority of which shooters.

Adding my own bit to this argument, again by going with personal experience and people i know around me, most people i know would have a larger collection of FPS ad action games to RPG. Same goes for me, i have my usual RPG games, Zelda, FF, Blue Dragon and such, but the majority of the games i have are actually fighting, action, horror and so on. If it was in japan then yes its probably going to be that RPG's sell better, but of course, we aren't in japan, even though i'd like to go there =/.

Aaron said:
Just FYI, FF VII is the second top-selling Playstation game ever (behind Gran Turismo).

So that's more than any MGS, Tomb Raider, Res Evil, Tekken or whatever else.

PS2-wise, there's three RPGs in the top 10 (KH, FF X and FF XII) and another three in the top 20 (DQ 8, KH 2 and FF X-2). The rest of the top 10 is GTA, GT and MGS...not really shooters.

And Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (niche market RPGs!) have already sold more than Halo, Halo 2 and GOW combined, and they came out THIS YEAR.

All from SOURCED claims at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games by the way

Those are some good points Aaron, and I completely agree that a franchise such as Pokémon sells very well, but this is regardless of genre. There aren't many Pokémon titles out there which aren't successful to be honest, and I got sick of the Pokémon games after Gold/Silver because it was the same soup served in a different plate. Your points are valid regarding the sales of RPGs in the past, and I cannot disagree with this as Final Fantasy VII is my all-time favourite video game.

However I'd like to point out that the sales you've pointed out are of the past generations excluding Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. My statistics were based on the current form of the industry, not the past. I didn't claim that RPGs didn't sell well back in the PlayStation 2 days, most of my PS2 collection consists of RPGs such as Kingdom Hearts in fact. However if you look at the Wikipedia link you posted and focus on the current generation consoles as with my point, you'll see that RPGs are nowhere near as dominant in the present. Check out the 360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP sales on your own source and compare it to the past consoles, wouldn't you agree there's a big change? Still, you make a good point and I'm glad someone stepped up and produced a counter-argument which involved more than fanboy opinion with no backing of facts or common sense.

CitizenGeek said:
Nemphtis, you are clearly some kind of bitter, bitter fanboy yourself. Your arguments against Final Fantasy are utter dross (shooters sell better than RPGs, LOL! wtf?) and I've yet to see a rational comment on the series from you.

Oh yes, it's clearly obvious I'm a fanboy of... Wait, what am I a fanboy of again? My arguments against Final Fantasy are logical, and I don't allow my opinion to be swayed just because people like you try to ensure Final Fantasy is never criticized. Final Fantasy is my favourite franchise of all time, and I embrace the franchise's mistakes just as much as it's triumphs.

This in turn ensures I cannot be a fanboy, because I'm not defending my favourite series nor am I attacking it constantly, I am merely looking at the facts and sources presented, and forming a logical opinion. You've yet to see a rational comment from me on the Final Fantasy series? That's because the only comments you consider rational are ones which are completely positive regarding the franchise, you refuse to accept anything negative and possibly clutch your Squall plushy with fury while you read this.

CitizenGeek said:
If you think something like Halo or Half Life had a greater impact on the industry than Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy IV, then you're sadly mistaken. Final Fantasy IV laid out the foundations for RPGs (and not just JRPGs) and Final Fantasy VII was a revelation in it's accesible, yet highly complicated plot and it's state-of-the-art cinematics. Whatever your problem is with Final Fantasy, I suggest you build a bridge and get over it because you have nothing against the series, despite the fact you obviously think you do!

Final Fantasy VII did have a great impact on the industry back on the PS1, it had a great impact on me at least. You boast about how Final Fantasy revolutionised RPGs, are you denying the fact that one year after the game's release, Half-Life came to the PC scene and completely decimated all FPS competition, still fresh in everyone's memory today? Probably not fresh in your memory, but as a gamer who enjoys all genres of gaming I remember the magic of Half-Life just as much as I remember the magic of Final Fantasy VII. This is where the line between a fanboy and a gamer is drawn, so it's worth taking note. Your situation is similar to Jack Thompson, you're fighting a lost cause trying to persuade me that there's nothing wrong with Final Fantasy and it's just utter perfection inside out.

Whatever my problem with Final Fantasy just get over it? As a fan of the franchise I demand better, and I always will. As a consumer I will demand better, and as a gamer I have seen and known better. As long as there are people like you around, who don't stand up and say "Wait a second, I demand more!" then Square-Enix will keep pumping out high quality poop to feed the starving RPG masses. I don't just blame Final Fantasy though, the FPS genre is also dominated by plenty of idiots who eat up anything they are given without demanding innovation. You think I have a fixation against Final Fantasy? Nope, I just have a fixation against the mindless zombies we have nicknamed fanboys in the gaming industry. Bad news; the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply here, the RPG and FPS genres are broken, and nobody's complaining about repairs.

CitizenGeek said:
Halo 2 sold about 8 million, while FFVII's sales are close to 10 million. That's a real difference and that demostrates just how popular FF is, even though it's a niche genre in the West.

There are 3 JRPGs in the top 10 of the world's most popular console ever (the PS2) and you're telling me that RPGs mean little in gaming terms?

The PS2 is old news, if you're going to try and use old technology as proof in the present debate then you may as well just stoop right down and use SNES as your proof of RPG dominance or something. How about the 360, PS3 and Wii, where is the RPG dominance in today's market? Where is Final Fantasy, or in the words of 4Chan - where is your God now?

CitizenGeek said:
Seriously, Nemphtis your silly crusade against FF is really quite pathetic and I'm sick of listening to people like you who bash Final Fantasy for stupid, stupid reasons :/
Here's a question Citizen, but it's a tough one!

Can you think of a good reason to bash Final Fantasy, seeing as mine are just so, so stupid. I had no idea you were sick of listening to common sense and reason, where as believe it or not I have no problem seeing a fanboy de-rail a topic as soon as his worshipped franchise is smeared during a post. You do realise, that this topic was created so extreme Final Fantasy enthusiasts such as yourself no longer kidnapped topics whenever Final Fantasy was mentioned, yes?

Arbalest said:
i'm just going by the research that nemphtis posted here, but by the looka things, it never said once about every single last game ever made but in fact the latest in the next gen consoles and not including the likes of the DS or the PS2. In fact by going by that alone, the likes of the infamous FFVII and the likes of FFXII would not be included. Instead it says the majority of sales FOR THIS GENERATION of gaming is with action genre games, the majority of which shooters.

Adding my own bit to this argument, again by going with personal experience and people i know around me, most people i know would have a larger collection of FPS ad action games to RPG. Same goes for me, i have my usual RPG games, Zelda, FF, Blue Dragon and such, but the majority of the games i have are actually fighting, action, horror and so on. If it was in japan then yes its probably going to be that RPG's sell better, but of course, we aren't in japan, even though i'd like to go there =/.

I'm impressed, you actually got my point and beat me to my defense before I finished making my huge essay response. Yes, that is exactly true and I'm glad certain people are on the same page as me when it comes to this debate. Naturally my debate is about the present generation, it's just a shame some people missed that point but still it keeps the debate going so I don't mind explaining to them again and again. Still, I'm pretty surprised my response was pretty much the same as yours, even though it's an obvious one. ;D

Nemphtis said:
My arguments against Final Fantasy are logical, and I don't allow my opinion to be swayed just because people like you try to ensure Final Fantasy is never criticized.

Your arguments against Final Fantasy are ridiculous. I don't want to ensure Final Fantasy is never criticised. As long as the series remains popular, gamers that think themselves elitists (oh, how pathetic they are!) will continue to bash the series. Didn't you know, Nemptis, anything popular couldn't possibly be good! Oh no, Obscure JRPG #124 is infinately better because, you know, it's obscure and stuff! I don't want to stop people expressing disdain for Final Fantasy, what I do want to do is counter these arguments and fight against them. It's as much my entitlement as it is yours to whine and whine and whine about the series.

Final Fantasy is my favourite franchise of all time, and I embrace the franchise's mistakes just as much as it's triumphs.

I have a hard time believing that. If Final Fantasy is your favourite series, I shudder to think what your attitude towards your least favourite games is.

This in turn ensures I cannot be a fanboy, because I'm not defending my favourite series nor am I attacking it constantly, I am merely looking at the facts and sources presented, and forming a logical opinion.

You're opinion is not logical - it's petty. I never said you were a fanboy, just that you were acting like one. As for facts and sources - em, what? Where are those hiding in your arguments? Unless you mean twisting and turning sales figures to suit some irrevelvant argument about shooters or something similiarly silly, then I can't find any such facts in your posts.

You've yet to see a rational comment from me on the Final Fantasy series? That's because the only comments you consider rational are ones which are completely positive regarding the franchise, you refuse to accept anything negative and possibly clutch your Squall plushy with fury while you read this.

No, that's not it at all. I do accept that there are valid arguments against Final Fantasy (even though I don't agree with them, most of the time). It's just I've yet to see a single one from you. I think you're mistaken: my problem is not with logical critics of the Final Fantasy series, it's with the drivel you are presentating as fact against FF.

Final Fantasy VII did have a great impact on the industry back on the PS1, it had a great impact on me at least. You boast about how Final Fantasy revolutionised RPGs, are you denying the fact that one year after the game's release, Half-Life came to the PC scene and completely decimated all FPS competition, still fresh in everyone's memory today? Probably not fresh in your memory, but as a gamer who enjoys all genres of gaming I remember the magic of Half-Life just as much as I remember the magic of Final Fantasy VII. This is where the line between a fanboy and a gamer is drawn, so it's worth taking note.

I don't deny that Half Life was a hugely influential and enjoyable game. But if you want to argue that Half Life (one of your oddly precious shooters) had a greater impact on the industry as a whole than Final Fantasy VII, then I think you're mistaken.

Whatever my problem with Final Fantasy just get over it? As a fan of the franchise I demand better, and I always will. As a consumer I will demand better, and as a gamer I have seen and known better. As long as there are people like you around, who don't stand up and say "Wait a second, I demand more!" then Square-Enix will keep pumping out high quality poop to feed the starving RPG masses.

That's total BS! Square Enix spent more than 5 years on Final Fantasy XII and you think we should demand better? Your arguments are absurd, stop hiding behind ridiculous "I demand moar!" arguments. If you demand more than the massive amount of quality and work that's gone into crafting a game as accomplished as FFXII, then you obviously don't appreciate what developers and publishers do.

I don't just blame Final Fantasy though, the FPS genre is also dominated by plenty of idiots who eat up anything they are given without demanding innovation. You think I have a fixation against Final Fantasy? Nope, I just have a fixation against the mindless zombies we have nicknamed fanboys in the gaming industry. Bad news; the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply here, the RPG and FPS genres are broken, and nobody's complaining about repairs.

But, why would Final Fantasy fans need to demand innovation when a game like Final Fantasy XII has just come out? Have you even played FFXII or what?

Square Enix do a good job with the series (most of the time). To demand more than that is just ridiculous and impractical.

The PS2 is old news, if you're going to try and use old technology as proof in the present debate then you may as well just stoop right down and use SNES as your proof of RPG dominance or something. How about the 360, PS3 and Wii, where is the RPG dominance in today's market? Where is Final Fantasy, or in the words of 4Chan - where is your God now?

You're quoting 4chan and you want me to take you seriously?

Microsoft are paying Hironobu Sakaguchi millions upon millions to make RPGs for their 360. Blue Dragon is shifting 360s in Microsoft's most important challenge, Japan. FFXIII is widely considered to be PS3's trump card and the Wii is a joke, so I'll pass on explaining that one.

Can you think of a good reason to bash Final Fantasy, seeing as mine are just so, so stupid. I had no idea you were sick of listening to common sense and reason, where as believe it or not I have no problem seeing a fanboy de-rail a topic as soon as his worshipped franchise is smeared during a post. You do realise, that this topic was created so extreme Final Fantasy enthusiasts such as yourself no longer kidnapped topics whenever Final Fantasy was mentioned, yes?

Nemphtis, you honestly think what you're spouting is common sense and reason? Please!

Your pathetic act of trying to play the victim as the person who speaks out against FF and is in turn attacked by fanboys, but yet fights on for the greater good would be cringeworthy if I took you in the least bit seriously.

In answer to your question, no. No, there is no good reason to bash a series like Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy is gaming heritage, even today it continues to be a trendsetter. It's flaws are minor (FFVIII excluded) and using them in some tirade against FF is petty.

CitizenGeek said:
I don't just blame Final Fantasy though, the FPS genre is also dominated by plenty of idiots who eat up anything they are given without demanding innovation. You think I have a fixation against Final Fantasy? Nope, I just have a fixation against the mindless zombies we have nicknamed fanboys in the gaming industry. Bad news; the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't apply here, the RPG and FPS genres are broken, and nobody's complaining about repairs.

But, why would Final Fantasy fans need to demand innovation when a game like Final Fantasy XII has just come out? Have you even played FFXII or what?

Square Enix do a good job with the series (most of the time). To demand more than that is just ridiculous and impractical.

FFXII was by no means the best they could have offered. Sure it was decent enough, but from what i have played, i would have liked a bit more interactivity with battles, i mean you could have left them too it and not do anything bar set up the gambits beforehand.

No matter which series you look at, no matter how good you think a game is, people will undoubtedly ask for more. If we took Halo as an example, too me its a decent enough FPS, but a lot of people think its the best FPS ever, then again people will no doubt say it could have been better, which it could have. The same goes for Final Fantasy, it is by no means perfect nor is it ever going to be and it has far more flaws than you actually see.

Microsoft are paying Hironobu Sakaguchi millions upon millions to make RPGs for their 360. Blue Dragon is shifting 360s in Microsoft's most important challenge, Japan. FFXIII is widely considered to be PS3's trump card and the Wii is a joke, so I'll pass on explaining that one.

Even with the likes of Blue Dragon out in Japan, its not exactly changing microsofts market in japan by a great deal. FFXIII maybe able to do what people hope with the PS3, but i could probably name a few that seem to me far more interesting and worthwhile. And as for the Wii being a joke? that sounds like someone thats not willing to give it a try. Its had a huge impact worldwide, and has an excellent line-up for the upcoming months to boot. so i wouldn't say its a joke.

Arbalest said:
FFXII was by no means the best they could have offered. Sure it was decent enough, but from what i have played, i would have liked a bit more interactivity with battles, i mean you could have left them too it and not do anything bar set up the gambits beforehand.

Ah, you could have balanced gambits and manual control (like I did!) you know. The game was always very open to allowing you to manually control all of your characters, to let gambits control them, or to let gambits control some and manually control others. If Square had messages popping up all the time reminding you of this, or a tutorial for it then people would be complaining that it holds your hand through the game. Square can't win, there'll always be people that complain.

The same goes for Final Fantasy, it is by no means perfect nor is it ever going to be and it has far more flaws than you actually see.

I know FF isn't perfect. No game is. As for flaws. Go on then, name a few!

And as for the Wii being a joke? that sounds like someone thats not willing to give it a try. Its had a huge impact worldwide, and has an excellent line-up for the upcoming months to boot. so i wouldn't say its a joke.

I own a Wii - believe me, I was willing to try. And I regret trying it. The Wii is a joke, I can't take it seriously as a console (at least a console that's in league with the 360 or the PS3) so it's probably better not to question me on the Wii, or to use it as a point in any argument against me ^_^

CitizenGeek said:
Final Fantasy is my favourite franchise of all time, and I embrace the franchise's mistakes just as much as it's triumphs.

I have a hard time believing that. If Final Fantasy is your favourite series, I shudder to think what your attitude towards your least favourite games is.
I haven't yet seen him make any derogatory remarks about Final Fantasy, he's been quite flattering. He's merely saying that it isn't as widely popular as simple to understand FPS games that any 5 year old with hand-eye co-ordination can play and enjoy.

To be honest for the most part on game to game sales FF and similar RPGs have one core advantage over shooters, and it's the same reason shooters gross far more than any other genre. When people want an RPG, especially a turn based battle system RPG like FF and Blue Dragon they have very little choice, especially on the 360. This means that rather than a FPS fan deciding whether to buy Halo 3, GOW or R6V instead, an RPG fan's options are decidedly limited. As far as I know, Blue Dragon is the only Turn based long story string combat RPG on the Xbox360 wheras I own more than 5 decent FPS games off the top of my head and there are many more on the market to choose from, ones that I haven't bought because they don't fill a niche that I can't get from one of the games I already own.

CitizenGeek said:
I own a Wii - believe me, I was willing to try. And I regret trying it. The Wii is a joke, I can't take it seriously as a console (at least a console that's in league with the 360 or the PS3) so it's probably better not to question me on the Wii, or to use it as a point in any argument against me ^_^
I tried it once, at a Tokyopop Recon. The bowling game was a fun 5 minutes but as far as I can see it's nothing more than a party console. The main reason for it's unexpectedly bad responce is the lack of online functioning games. The controller system was a unique idea that helped it get the boost it needed but they didn't put enough effort into making it a comparable next gen system.

trumpster said:
CitizenGeek said:
I tried it once, at a Tokyopop Recon. The bowling game was a fun 5 minutes but as far as I can see it's nothing more than a party console. The main reason for it's unexpectedly bad responce is the lack of online functioning games. The controller system was a unique idea that helped it get the boost it needed but they didn't put enough effort into making it a comparable next gen system.

That wasn't what Nintendo was going for, the Wii has done a terrific job at making people who don't play games, play games like the DS. Plus i would take Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 over anything currently on PS3.

Back to what you were said in the post before though, you're right about the lack of turn based RPG games on the 360 (the next one out i can think of is Lost Odysee) This is a thing though which i'm sad to say probably won't get any better since the console if most likely going to recive more action orienated RPG games like Oblivion and Mass Effect.

You're also right about the amount of FPS games, though looking through the titles i've got it seems like I've accidently got most of the oh-crap-something-moved-in-the-dark-with-a-scifi-feel FPS games.

I don't have adoring parnets that buy me all the crap under the sun so I had to think long and hard about which console I would get. Due to the likes of Halo, Gears of war and other similar FPS games I decided that the Xbox360 was the most appropriate for me. And now I'm happy that Microsoft's calls for Japanese influence have led to games like Project Sylpheed and Blue Dragon exclusively on the console.

Wii isn't really my style cause my family rarely joins in anything I do, unless it's playing worms or the occaisional driving game, and the only PS exclusive games I've ever been interested in are the .Hack series. Which while being a great incentive, isn't enough reason to buy a seperate console for just one game series.

BlackWolf said:
You're also right about the amount of FPS games, though looking through the titles i've got it seems like I've accidently got most of the oh-crap-something-moved-in-the-dark-with-a-scifi-feel FPS games.
Sounds like you enjoy all the ones I hate. :? The worst thing to put on any game for me is what I call 'Little Griblies' which is a generic term for anything small, fast and hard to hit, usually something that's trying to jump on my face and get a really irritating instant kill.

Tis why I avoided Half life, can't progress more than the 3rd level on 'The Thing' and will only ever play as the aliens themselves on any kind of AVP game.

The Wii is alright i guess. I've never played it before but my mate has and since we're so similar in tastes i'm prepared to take his word for it when it comes to gaming preferences.

He loved it for all of about an hour or two and hasn't played it since.

The Wii's impact was immense and it has revolutionised gaming to a certain degree (I agree with the escapist in that all its really done control wise it replace random button mashing with stick waggling) but im not really too sure if its for the better. Yes on the one hand we have a bigger audience but this is an audience who is quite happy to play a bowling sim for about an hour and thats it for the gaming day.
The casual audience wont care for titles such as FF with deep plots and complex battle systems, all they will want is something you can pick up and play in 5 minutes and that is a bit worrying. Here's to hoping that developers wont get lazy and just pump out wagglestick game after wigglestick game instead of sitting down and creating some true works of art.

Its hard to say what'll happen to the Wii though. At first glance i thought the Wii would eventually bow out because of its reputation as a novelty present but then again the nintendo fans will keep the old horse twitching for a lot longer than i think any of us will expect.

Essentially its going to be a divide between Sony and Nintendo again, the recent price drop, although controversial has spurred a hellofalot of my friends to either trade in their 360s or just buy a PS3. Microsoft will always be around and they have got some good titles (its just that they all seem to be FPSs, i love my shooters but hey, Sony has FF and Loco Roco. Even if i'd exercised some self control i would have probably sleep-walked to the shop and bought one.)
But unlike Nintendo and Sony they havent got the fanbase yet, the 360 is making all the right moves but just look at its progress in Japan - thats the effect of pedigree companies on the customer, even if they were to release one of the best games ever, it'd still fly past a substantial percentage of the Japanese population.

I don't have adoring parnets that buy me all the crap under the sun so I had to think long and hard about which console I would get.

Hehe same here, you wouldnt believe how proud i felt when i went up and bought my console in cash (wads of money yum).....and the subsequent walk back to the car when i felt sure that the entire town would mug me.

Liquid Skin said:
I don't have adoring parnets that buy me all the crap under the sun so I had to think long and hard about which console I would get.

Hehe same here, you wouldnt believe how proud i felt when i went up and bought my console in cash (wads of money yum).....and the subsequent walk back to the car when i felt sure that the entire town would mug me.
Heh, I felt that when I upgraded to the 360 Elite, heavy bugger when you're quite a way from the bus stop. So at least that gave me confidence that I'd be able to catch any idiot that tried to make a getaway with it. :lol:

Yea I'd been thinking about it for a few years. It was a toss up between an Xbox and a Gamecube.. then the 360 came out and several months after that the son of one of my friends was considering getting rid of his Xbox because he only seemed to be using it for chatting and the occaisional game of GoW or R6V. So I got a used (but decent condition) 360 premium and five games (two of which sports and never since used) for £250. I probably could've haggled lower but it was a good opportunity and the boy didn't seem to have fully made up his mind to sell it yet.

Back