The Final Fantasy Debate

Nemphtis

Hunter
People seem to love debating ****, yet are too lazy to create a new topic to debate such things. So I wanted to take the initiative and create a topic where we can discuss if the Final Fantasy franchise is starting to get out of hand or not, and why. Do you think the spin-offs are getting out of hand, or that it's great how each game in the main series is something different and fresh? Debate the topic to your heart's content, but make sure you back up your opinions with reasons as to why you think that way!

Yeah we had 3 threads dedicated to final fantasy no one was interested.

I'd say stop making final fantasy but why :?
So that in 2 years time people can spam the internet with "please make more final fantasy"?

The final fantasy spin ofs are a little lack luster but i have no issue with it but final fantasy doesn't really need squeals they finish each game of quite nicely.

To be honest the only re-make I took seriously was Final Fantasy III, because they made the effort to enhance it instead of just slapping it onto a new console. I'm too lazy to re-write my opinions on FF3 so just read my review if you're seriously curious. I'd rather see other divisions of Square focus on new IPs instead of spin-offs.

This is one thing I really liked about Clover Studios, pretty much every game they made in their short lifespan was enjoyable, and yes they made sequels but aside from Viewtiful Joe's Red Hot Rumble they were all proper sequels and not a simple spin-off. I love Final Fantasy VII, and it pains me to see DoC be some average. The Advent Children movie was a good fan movie but nothing amazing as to be up there with the best of them. Anyway that's all I can discuss for now since the internet cafe I'm at is closing, I'll post more as others respond with their opinions.

Final Fantasy III Review: http://nemphtis.deviantart.com/art/Fina ... I-62463602

I think there are too many FF games, I can't even keep track of them now. But there are a few quality games out there. I didn't mind FFXII bar the story and voices, and the KH series is great. I do think SE should chill with the FF cow and experiment with some new IPs. Games like Crystal Chronicles could have easily been a new IP if you removed chocobos and moogles, but the FF logo was slapped on to sell more. Come to think of it, I actually hated CC, but let's not get into that.

I was fine with the series until XII to be honest. Yes the voice acting sucked in X but the story itself was pretty solid in FF terms:
A good ol fashioned antagonist causing mayhem and destruction with the typical band of heroes to stop him BUT with some twists in the tale along the way, we had some character development with all the characters ( i especially liked Auron's one) and while the leveling system wasn't the best, the actual combat was one of the best of the series....but then again i am a lover of turn based stuff. :p

The thing that got me with XII was that it just didn't feel like a FF to me, the combat of FFs were never "gripping" but the way XII had the MMO approach made it an even bigger grind than usual with no real feel of tactics, just press x for each character and wait until victory.
The sidequests, although quite cool at first glance were probably the most monotonous i've ever had to deal with (except perhaps the Ultimate Weapons in X....less said about lightning dodging the better) in FF. I mean, i've just run through a 20 level dungeon which took 2 hours to get through...and now i've got to get back to lv 19 to kill a mark? So the way i relax from dungeon crawling is.....more dungeon crawling? No Golden Saucer, no card games, no blitzball, just more combat.
Oh and the storyline? Ripped straight from Star Wars, which is no real biggie i suppose if the characters actually developed during the story. Vaan just repeats "I wanna be a skypirate" for the entire game and Penelo is little more than a piece of poorly made cardboard scenery...It just all stank to me

Anyways i suppose its not all that bad, i do boot up the game every so often to grind some more, seeing as i still haven't got all the espers....*shudders at the thought of the Limit Break/Espers*

Right ill shuttup now, i think ive repressed my hated for XII for way too long and now its all bursting forth! :D

I thoroughly disliked XII
I bought it when i got my student loan through and just couldn't get in to it, i didn't like the gameplay and it just didn't hold me storyline wise. I was hooked on VII, VIII and X but this for me just lacked.
Square have gone over the top with sequels. The thought of even remembering FFX-2 makes me shudder, why o why. I hands down refused to play it and can't really see myself getting back in to the francise anytime soon :( which is a shame as i hold VII, VIII and X so close to my memories as favourite all tiem games.
Anyone play XI?

We really need to get some "One and only ........." stickies now, topics seem to just keep being created time and time again with exactly the same content.

Espy said:
Actually, this topic was created specifically so that the FF debaters didn't bog down other threads.

Then it needs a sticky. Otherwise it will slowly sink into the neverending pit that is this forum and be forgotten; then another topic will be created :D.

Final Fantasy, to me isn't too bad, ok before i actually played one i always said its not that great, then after i did, i got to like the series. As of late though i have been thinking less of it. The games still are of decent quality, but the fact that some of the games from the series, have gotten to much in the ways of spin-offs, sequels, prequels, and so on, has put me off some of it. I'm not saying they are all bad, but i think they should really go back to more of what they used to do, and focus on making brand new titles instead of investing more on older ones. FFVII is probably the best example for that. OK the first one was good, it wasn't the best game i've ever played but still, i don't think it needs so many sequels, prequels, etc.

I don't think i've seen a great FF on the PS2 yet. I really like 7,8 and 9. But due to X being so linear, X-2 being so short and XII generally being bad, i'd have to say I prefer both Kingdom Hearts games over the PS2 FFs.

Espy said:
Lupus Inu said:
The Kingdom Hearts games are much worse than XII. "Keep bashing X until you win!"

Technically, if you play FFXII properly, then it's "Do absolutely nothing until you win!"

So true... Yet another reason why I hate it so much. I should've traded it ages ago, but I still go back to it just in case I complete it.

I hate FFXII, but usually I always complete a FF game, no matter what really

i personally think they should give f.f a rest until they can think of a decent story line for them i mean don't get me wrong i love the whole experience and i love the music thau nobuo uematsu composes for the games is amazing but they come out so often now hopefully XII will be better or maybe its because square enix scrwed the ff games up whemn they were so fun when they were still square soft

How awesome would an FF8 anime be.
I've had the thought for ages and just think they could do so much with it. They have the high school aspect of Balamb garden, some characters with incredibly backgrounds and room to expand and the fight scenes if done right could be something spectacular.

Back