The Final Fantasy Debate

Liquid Skin said:
Hehe not at all, thanks a bunch for the info!

I'll be sure to start scouring the net for a decent copy. I should be able to play Cross relatively soon actually as i'm going to stay with said friend for a while - though she's incredibly protective over it...

I haven't actually played through Cross myself- I have played parts and I am familiar with the story and it's relation to Trigger, but that's really it.

Liquid Skin said:
*In an attempt to stop this AC spiral*

Any thoughts/news of FF7 - or in fact any of the previous FFs being released on PSN?

Yes, actually.

The rumours of a Final Fantasy VII remake have popped up again when players of Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core found a bonus ending scene which was a near identical version of the Final Fantasy VII demo video which Squeenix made soon after the PS3 initial announcement. The last thing the ending wrote was "to be continued in Final Fantasy VII" Now this could mean that as Crisis Core is a prequel, you just continue by playing the retro Final Fantasy VII but some people are hoping that it means Squeenix is planning to work on a remake for the game.

Nemphtis said:
Liquid Skin said:

Any thoughts/news of FF7 - or in fact any of the previous FFs being released on PSN?

Yes, actually.

The rumours of a Final Fantasy VII remake have popped up again when players of Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core found a bonus ending scene which was a near identical version of the Final Fantasy VII demo video which Squeenix made soon after the PS3 initial announcement. The last thing the ending wrote was "to be continued in Final Fantasy VII" Now this could mean that as Crisis Core is a prequel, you just continue by playing the retro Final Fantasy VII but some people are hoping that it means Squeenix is planning to work on a remake for the game.

Ending?But didn't crisis core only come out like 3-4 days ago?

MTW said:
Nemphtis said:
Liquid Skin said:

Yes, actually.

Ending?But didn't crisis core only come out like 3-4 days ago?

around that time yeah, though even still, you'll find people who will complete any game they get within a day or so, its usually the same with any game. There is always at least one who will just go on and on till its finished.

Lupus Inu said:
Naw dawg, I'm going to be honest, and say I loved FF VII, but nowadays you have all these idiots all "ZOMG, SEPHIROTH IS SO KAWAII/PWNS/OWNS ^___^" etc. Who're just annoying, most of the fans are incredibly annoying and down right persistant in trying to prove when something owns, fine, I'll admit VII was an epic masterpiece... at the time. >_>

Yes, Final Fantasy VII's fanbase is moronic and annoying a lot of the time - that doesn't make it a bad game, though! Nintendo fans are appallingly irritating, repellent and generally idiotic -but it doesn't stop me enjoying the DS! Whenever anything is popular, it's more likely to have loud idiots in it's fanbase. This applies to stuff like Evangelion, FMA and (ZOMG!) even stuff you like! (Claymore fans are pretty darn ridiculous, and you know it!).

I never said I hated AC for the idiotic fanbase, I dislike it because Square Enix never even tried with it, when I first saw it, I'll admit I was all "OMG AC PWNS YOUR MOM!!111!1!1" then after an epic arguement with Kupoartist I realized the error of my ways and asked myself... "What was good about AC? Why did I like it?" Because I was a fan of VII, but there was nothing really added to the VII plotline with AC, it was just a cash-in movie because Square Enix acknowledge the overall success and popularity of VII so they decided to milk-it to a whole new level, and they are, and it's working. Good going.

This theory that because Square Enix is 'milking' FF somehow detracts from the quality of the series is BS!

What I liked about AC was:

- It's absolutely GORGEOUS in case you didn't notice
- It's takes place in the world of one of my favorite games ever
- It has characters from one of my favorite games ever
- The story is, actually, enjoyable what with Kadaj, Yazoo and Loz trying to get a hold of Jenova and stuff. There were some pretty powerful scenes too - like when Aeris and Zack wave to Cloud in the final scene.
- The fights are fantastic! No anime really comes close to matching how brilliantly coregraphed the fight scenes are in this. They're backed up by some excellent music too!
- Nobuo Uematsu's music for the movie is outstanding (as per usual).

I think the "plot" argument against FFVII: AC is not well thought out! Some people that have played FFVII complain - basically - that the story didn't match FFVII's [note: OF COURSE IT DIDN'T, IT'S AN HOUR LONG MOVIE!] and some didn't bother watching FFVII and just expected to be wowed by it.

To conclude: You're all wrong about FFVII: AC! :p

CitizenGeek said:
Yes, Final Fantasy VII's fanbase is moronic and annoying a lot of the time - that doesn't make it a bad game, though! Nintendo fans are appallingly irritating, repellent and generally idiotic -but it doesn't stop me enjoying the DS! Whenever anything is popular, it's more likely to have loud idiots in it's fanbase. This applies to stuff like Evangelion, FMA and (ZOMG!) even stuff you like! (Claymore fans are pretty darn ridiculous, and you know it!).
I'm a Nintendo fan, I'm pretty much none of those things. =|

Oh, and Claymore fans don't exist, and if they do I've yet to come across them.

CitizenGeek said:
This theory that because Square Enix is 'milking' FF somehow detracts from the quality of the series is BS!
Not really, you're just blinded by fanboyism to see the light, follow in my footsteps and do the same, just acknowledge the exploitable flaws and you're all set. D:

CitizenGeek said:
What I liked about AC was:

- The story is, actually, enjoyable what with Kadaj, Yazoo and Loz trying to get a hold of Jenova and stuff. There were some pretty powerful scenes too - like when Aeris and Zack wave to Cloud in the final scene.
- The fights are fantastic! No anime really comes close to matching how brilliantly coregraphed the fight scenes are in this. They're backed up by some excellent music too!

"Hai geis, lemme sho u wot we can do wit texhologee." So Square Enix did, and they gave it good visuals and nothing much more, except epic music. Obviously you're going to like it if you like the characters, too bad none of them got much screentime though [in before OMG Bahamut fight!] Characters like RED XIII deserve to be the main character, not emo kids like Cloud. [Yes Liquid Skin, I used emo. ;/]

Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo were all generic throw away characters, no real past, no development, only thing holding them on was some of the decent fights.

Aeris and Zack have a very small emotional scene at the end! Wow! Fantastic, and it only took the whole movie to see her face!

The fights are like... the main highlight of the movie, it was basically like DBZ fighting until the end.

CitizenGeek said:

Obviously.

Ok, you done your list, here's mine:

The OST.
Some of the visual effects/fights.

That's it, the only credibility it has.

CitizenGeek said:
I think the "plot" argument against FFVII: AC is not well thought out! Some people that have played FFVII complain - basically - that the story didn't match FFVII's [note: OF COURSE IT DIDN'T, IT'S AN HOUR LONG MOVIE!]
To conclude: You're all wrong about FFVII: AC! :p
I just gotta disagree with every word you just typed. Let's take Voices of a Distant Star, that's on for like... 22 minutes, and it had a much deeper and compelling plot that AC will ever have, ever, and it also had time to fit in fights along with character development, unlike AC which was over-loaded with some tedious fights [AKA Cloud and Sephiroth] and pretty much no character development except "Cheer up emo kid Cloud!"

Okay then, if you must...

Fair enough

It shows a few minimalistic scenes with very few recognisable locations from the world of one of my favourite games ever.

...Which can only really be described as cameos, aside from the main three. Red XIII has one line in the entire film!

The plot to me seemed little more than a carrier for the fights.

Can't complain there, though an action film is not what I expected from te FF franchise.

I agree there, but the vast majority of the music was arranged pieces from FFVII. Not a bad thing, but there wasn't much original music.

CitizenGeek said:
I think the "plot" argument against FFVII: AC is not well thought out! !

Funny, that - I thought the "plot" in AC ws not very well thought out!

And that's why I didn't like it. Now let's argue about something else.

CitizenGeek said:
Lupus Inu said:
Naw dawg, I'm going to be honest, and say I loved FF VII, but nowadays you have all these idiots all "ZOMG, SEPHIROTH IS SO KAWAII/PWNS/OWNS ^___^" etc. Who're just annoying, most of the fans are incredibly annoying and down right persistant in trying to prove when something owns, fine, I'll admit VII was an epic masterpiece... at the time. >_>

Like Lupus, i'm a Nintendo fan more so than i am an Microsoft or Sony fan but i'm none of the above, and the majority of nintendo fans i know are none of the above. We don't mind if people prefer one over the other, we won't cause a commotion over it. Though i do agree to an extent that there is always some idiots within each fanbase, there isn't much doubt about that.

As for the AC debate(on topic), yes it did have good visuals, and it did have good music and decent fight scenes, but as for everything else within the film, it was lacking. I liked FFVII, but this, was to me a let down to an extent. I wanted more story, more appearances by the rest of the cast, not just a select few. Red XIII only get one line i thought was ridiculous, he deserved more.

Oh well, this AC debate has obviously run it's course. It'll only become circlular and tedious now, so let's just leave it? If you want, I'll respond your points Lupus Inu and Espy, but I don't see too much a point considering we are all just repeating ourselves now.

Arbalest said:
Like Lupus, i'm a Nintendo fan more so than i am an Microsoft or Sony fan but i'm none of the above, and the majority of nintendo fans i know are none of the above. We don't mind if people prefer one over the other, we won't cause a commotion over it.

Yes, I understand you and Lupus Inu are not moronic and extremely anoying. But, denying that 'most' Nintendo fans are not appallingy stupid is, quite franky, ridiculous.

Lupus Inu, you cannot say that FFVII's fanbase is idiotic and then turn around and defend Nintendo.

CitizenGeek said:
Oh well, this AC debate has obviously run it's course. It'll only become circlular and tedious now, so let's just leave it? If you want, I'll respond your points Lupus Inu and Espy, but I don't see too much a point considering we are all just repeating ourselves now.

Arbalest said:
Like Lupus, i'm a Nintendo fan more so than i am an Microsoft or Sony fan but i'm none of the above, and the majority of nintendo fans i know are none of the above. We don't mind if people prefer one over the other, we won't cause a commotion over it.

Yes, I understand you and Lupus Inu are not moronic and extremely anoying. But, denying that 'most' Nintendo fans are not appallingy stupid is, quite franky, ridiculous.

Thats like saying that nintendo is the only one that has fans which are stupid, which isn't the case. I've seen many Sony fans being far more idiotic than Nintendo fans, even some Microsoft fans as well. I also said that the majority of nintendo fans "I" know aren't like that. There is always a select few as i have said, that will be more stupid than the others, thats always been the case.

CitizenGeek said:
Lupus Inu, you cannot say that FFVII's fanbase is idiotic and then turn around and defend Nintendo.
Wait, what? I didn't even defend Nintendo, at all. o_0

I just said I'm a Nintendo fan, not a fanboy, I acknowledge when Nintendo **** up, yo.

Funnily enough i can't picture nintendo fanboys. Xbots and Sony whores yes but nintendo? They're too cuddly and cute to have dribbling maniacs. When i picture nintendo fans i see a small....kitten with a pokemon hat....oh and a zelda sword strapped to its back.

Besides with this console war you cannot really compare (which is all that fanboys do: "X is better than Y because....") the Wii to the 360 or PS3, its like comparing modern and classical art, although they're both "art" they're entirely different entities.

Arbalest said:
Thats like saying that nintendo is the only one that has fans which are stupid, which isn't the case. I've seen many Sony fans being far more idiotic than Nintendo fans, even some Microsoft fans as well. I also said that the majority of nintendo fans "I" know aren't like that. There is always a select few as i have said, that will be more stupid than the others, thats always been the case.

No, it isn't like saying that only Nintendo fans are stupid. There are many, many moronic and annoying Xbox/PlayStation fanboys too. But, with Nintendo, they really are appallingly terrible. Nintendo fanboys are, by far and away, the absolute worst kind of fanboy on the internet. If you don't see that, then join a mulit-format forum or something. They really are everywhere!

Can we just say Bottom Line, AC is just a mediocre film, only loved by some fans.

Because seriously, I rather debate about other FF games than a film that was supposedly stretched from 23 minutes to over an hour with bad Characters, pointlessness of Sephiroth's return, and only one lovely addition to the FF7 AC, Kadaj.

Bottom Line, I don't like FF7: AC now, its just... overrated. So grow up, CG now

Chrono Demon said:
Bottom Line, I don't like FF7: AC now, its just... overrated. So grow up, CG now

Hah!

/wipes tear of laughter

YOU were the person who had FFVII AC listed as one of your favorite animes (even I don't consider it to be anywhere near one of the best animes ever) and now, after all the FFVII bashing, you decide to jump on the bandwagon and say you don't like AC because it's "overrated"? And then you tell me to grow up? O, hilarity, thy name is Chrono Demon!

Back