The Final Fantasy Debate

Liquid Skin said:
I still say they did the best with what they got, after all this is an RPG they're trying to convert to film - not exactly the best thing. You're trying to translate something which had 20+ hours of gameplay with a novel's amount of dialogue.
No you see that's where you're confusing things, this is not an RPG and they are not trying to convert an entire RPG with all the gameplay time into a film. Their only target was to use the world and characters of Final Fantasy VII as a template to make a movie for the fans.

They had the freedom to make any type of plot that could have been seen before or after the events of the game, even during the game if they wanted. We will never be able to tell if this is indeed what they could do with "the best with what they got" but why do I get the feeling that "the best with what they got" could have in fact been a lot better?

Espy said:
I actually think a live-action FFVII trilogy, or maybe four films would really work. It could be the next epic hit. The epic plot of FFVII with loads of bullet-time fights! It would fit right in with Hollywood's current obsession with Japanese source material, though if I was in charge of it, I would make sure a good amount of the original staff work on it.

God no, I think the VII compilation is being milked as it is, no need to give Squeenix any ideas!

No you see that's where you're confusing things, this is not an RPG and they are not trying to convert an entire RPG with all the gameplay time into a film. Their only target was to use the world and characters of Final Fantasy VII as a template to make a movie for the fans.

You're misquoting me, read all of my posts as i go on to say....

As a general rule (there are of course exceptions) you have to sacrifice action for story and vice versa. I view AC as an action film waaaaaaay more than a plot-based film and so i am no disappointed with the results. Truly following the storyline of FF7 would just bog it down in a film and ultimately it would be compared to the original's plot - not a good idea.

It would be like doing a sequel to Lord of the Rings. Sure it would have everyone's favourite characters, and im sure even Jackson would make a good hack at it but come on, a sequel to such an epic movie? Regardless of how good it was it would be panned as inferior to the original.

Nemphtis said:
Espy said:
I actually think a live-action FFVII trilogy, or maybe four films would really work. It could be the next epic hit. The epic plot of FFVII with loads of bullet-time fights! It would fit right in with Hollywood's current obsession with Japanese source material, though if I was in charge of it, I would make sure a good amount of the original staff work on it.

God no, I think the VII compilation is being milked as it is, no need to give Squeenix any ideas!

Heheh, I don't mean make it a part of the compilation. It would be good in 20, 30 years from now when everyone but the fans has almost forgotten about it, kinda like LOTR.

BlackWolf said:
Well in that case let them start to work on FF8 :p

[quote = "LukasROAR"]How awesome would an FF8 anime be.

Very awesome 8) They could do a lot with that, aside from re-telling the events of the game, like a OVA prequel, or more obviously a sequel.[/quote]

Lol that's two who think it would be cool, progression, if ever so slowly lol.

Aye they could just do so much. a retelling, a prequel, a sequel or maybe the whole lot in 3 series' I'd watch them all.

Liquid Skin said:
As a general rule (there are of course exceptions) you have to sacrifice action for story and vice versa. I view AC as an action film waaaaaaay more than a plot-based film and so i am no disappointed with the results. Truly following the storyline of FF7 would just bog it down in a film and ultimately it would be compared to the original's plot - not a good idea.

It would be like doing a sequel to Lord of the Rings. Sure it would have everyone's favourite characters, and im sure even Jackson would make a good hack at it but come on, a sequel to such an epic movie? Regardless of how good it was it would be panned as inferior to the original.

The point I've been trying to make is that even though the film may be inferior to the original game like your LOTR example, it still could have been better than what we eventually got in the end. You have to be a very forgiving person to just say "Ah well, the movie's kinda crap but they tried their best." No, as a consumer I demand better, and the more they give me the more I will demand. That is the most basic supplier/consumer relationship, we demand and they deliver. The issue here is that some do not agree whether they delivered or not, and that is what we're practically debating.

The point I've been trying to make is that even though the film may be inferior to the original game like your LOTR example, it still could have been better than what we eventually got in the end. You have to be a very forgiving person to just say "Ah well, the movie's kinda crap but they tried their best." No, as a consumer I demand better, and the more they give me the more I will demand. That is the most basic supplier/consumer relationship, we demand and they deliver. The issue here is that some do not agree whether they delivered or not, and that is what we're practically debating.

I believe you're setting yourself up for a fall then - look at the amount of movies that are released per year, now narrow down those movies to the ones that you would actually pay a cinema ticket for? Many? I didnt think so.

Quality is dictated, no defined by its rarity. I expect nothing and thus gain something in the offchance that a good piece of media does wing its way towards me every couple of years. The problem is that people expect so much ALL of the time. Most franchises get one hit in their entire lifespan but FF has this incredible - and yet appaling burden of having to live up to its name with every single release.

When you think about it, basic economics is gain as much profit for as little effort - media is no exception to this rule, especially the large corporations who backed FF, why take a risk and be artsy when you can just pump out a flashy action film?

Liquid Skin said:

I believe you're setting yourself up for a fall then - look at the amount of movies that are released per year, now narrow down those movies to the ones that you would actually pay a cinema ticket for? Many? I didnt think so.

There are quite a few movies I would gladly pay to see at the movies, as someone who enjoys watching films on the big screen it's usually a pleasure. I wasn't expecting anything amazing from Square Enix, this is where the whole aspect of me saying it's not a good movie. You don't have to be hyped about something and later be disappointed just to say a movie was bad.

I wasn't dying to see Advent Children, and when it finally came out I watched it and thought "Meh, action scenes are cool but the plot was pretty raw..." You see I'm not a Final Fantasy fanboy or a hater, I just like playing a good game or watching a good film regardless of who made it and what it's about. Square Enix isn't going to get any special treatment from me even if they made my favourite RPG; Advent Children was pretty mediocre and that's how it will always remain in my eyes. My only expectations for Advent Children was that it hopefully didn't suck as bad as Spirits Within. Luckily it didn't, but bottom line is that it still wasn't that great.

Advent Children wasn't suppose to be over an hour long. It was suppose to be 23 mins at the most.

But the fans kept begging them to extend it, and they did... For what, a few really good characters who get a few lines (like Red XIII). And Cloud's emoness have been magnified as well. I know he was depressed in FF7, but come on, in AC he is more or less branded as Emo *shot'd from cloud fangirls*

I would like it a lot better if its been a series rather than a feature film. 12-20 eps would've been better, we would have more depths of each character, but instead we have to go through the emo... I mean Cloud's storyline.

Cloud isn't just a great character as I once thought, he is just.... overrated now

Slightly branching out of AC for a moment (too tired to type long replies to peoples posts), what did everyone think of Last Order? That was more like the 20 odd minute FF7 feature that Chrono is talking about.

Oh and for the love of GOD stop saying emo. Emo is the new "gay" it seems, you're gay, you're emo, school is gay, school is emo. Any hint of angst is labelled emo, any shred of anything but "my life is rainbows and bunnies" is labelled emo. With most people's definitions Charlie Chaplain is emo! :?

Liquid Skin said:
Slightly branching out of AC for a moment (too tired to type long replies to peoples posts), what did everyone think of Last Order? That was more like the 20 odd minute FF7 feature that Chrono is talking about.

Oh and for the love of GOD stop saying emo. Emo is the new "gay" it seems, you're gay, you're emo, school is gay, school is emo. Any hint of angst is labelled emo, any shred of anything but "my life is rainbows and bunnies" is labelled emo. With most people's definitions Charlie Chaplain is emo! :?

lmao A-Men to that rant :)

Last Order was ok, i wouldn't go much further than that. It was a while ago since i actually saw it, but from what i remember, it was basically an animated re-cap on events with Zack and Cloud. I think possibly to me at least, it was slightly better than AC.

Also i agree with Liquid, could we not go about using 'emo'? i honestly think that the term is overused. And just being depressed, or whatever doesn't automatically qualify you to be emo. i didn't see Cloud that way at least.

Liquid Skin said:

The negative use of the word emo is merely a backlash to the positive use of the word emo, by emos.

Moving on...

Espy said:
Liquid Skin said:

The negative use of the word emo is merely a backlash to the positive use of the word emo, by emos.

Moving on...

So so emo

But yea it was an animated version of the games storyline with zack and cloud hardly anything new at all...

I never knew there was some sort of cultural war going on here, Shouldn't we be all pooling our resources to take out the chavs? The members of society who are actually harming society? Or do we prefer to spit on people who wear black over those who pump out children like a conveyer belt and leech off the state with white lightning grasped in one hand and the leash of a pitbull terrier in the other?

We're gonna need a thread for this aren't we?

Anyways......So what would FF fans prefer? A "new" storyline such as that displayed by AC or just a rehash or.....hehe "rebuild" of the original?

And DONT use the AC plot as the basis of your decision, new or remake is what im asking here, no comparisons.

Just so i'm clear, are we talking in the context of FF7 here? If so then i say new stuff, have the characters experince new adventures, and maybe have Cid finally get a chance to blast off into outer space :p A the only kind of remake FF7 should see is a PS3 remake, but i can't see that happening any time soon...or ever.

Yeah i'd say a "original" plot would be set in the FF7 universe with all of its characters and so on and so forth. However aside from the main characters the only other ones which could pull off a stand-alone esque plot would be the Turks - and even then you just know people would be constantly asking "Where's Cloud?". :)

It doesnt have to be a game, as was shown in Last Order they could simply condense the main plot and release it as a couple of OVAs (anime is the only thing that can pull off FF7 on the big screen in my opinion). Game-wise though i wish they'd get their asses in gear and re-release 7 on PSN, if they're not going to make a remake at least sell it online for a £10 or something, the prices on ebay are horrendous!

Liquid Skin said:
Game-wise though i wish they'd get their asses in gear and re-release 7 on PSN, if they're not going to make a remake at least sell it online for a £10 or something, the prices on ebay are horrendous!

FF7 isn't on the PSN yet :eek: I thought that would of been one of the first on there, given the fan base.

Liquid Skin said:

I never knew there was some sort of cultural war going on here, Shouldn't we be all pooling our resources to take out the chavs? The members of society who are actually harming society? Or do we prefer to spit on people who wear black over those who pump out children like a conveyer belt and leech off the state with white lightning grasped in one hand and the leash of a pitbull terrier in the other?

We're gonna need a thread for this aren't we?

No need to get so worked up, I just find emo culture funny. But I hate the fact it's bogged down 90% of rock music. I don't like emo culture, but I didn't bring that up in my post at any point. My statement was merely an... observation I'd made over the past few years. It wasn't a stab at emo culture. You seem so touchy about it I'd guess that you're into it! So let's move on now. Despite my dislike of emo, I didn't bring it into my post. I'll bring it up later :twisted:

Back