The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Rui said:
as well as Blassreiter's complete collection just because it was also cheap

Don't ********. Are you saying it's a complete coincidence that you ordered it a few days after my inspirational review, after previously going "No~! I'm too 'girly-girl' to read Gantz! tee-hee!!!"? The extent you go to in order to ignore me is astounding.

(Poor first episode. Mostly awesome next 11. Then, it goes in a very Code Geass R2 direction... which means, since your mind works backward to my own, you'll no doubt <3 it.)

...Sigh. It makes me so sad that Blassreiter is going to be one of my last (if not THE last) PlayUSA pre-orders. I liked having £17.99 collections on pre-order for months in advance. :(

Edit: I eagerly await Fabio's 'My-Otome is roughly as good as My-HiME, but I'm going to 5/10 it anyway due to my small brain'... review.

ilmaestro said:
To scoff at that sort of price for a four-part OVA is a little bit of modern revisionist thinking, imo.
I'm not scoffing, and nor am I saying it's not worth that. It just doesn't fit with my current buying habits. But there are exceptions, and if I like the series enough the My-Otome OVA may prove to be one of those.

And I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who buys R2s :p

Got Durarara and Eden Of The East today ;)
Is anyone else having a problem with the song subtitles for Durarara? I dont seem to be able to get subtitles for the opening or ending songs.

fabricatedlunatic said:
There are no song subs.

Personally I'm more annoyed that the characters' names in the OP aren't subtitled. In Baccano that helped me remember who each member of its large cast was.

After Ep 13 with the second OP, the characters are listed in English

AironicallyHuman said:
Are you saying it's a complete coincidence that you ordered it a few days after my inspirational review, after previously going "No~! I'm too 'girly-girl' to read Gantz! tee-hee!!!"? The extent you go to in order to ignore me is astounding.

(Poor first episode. Mostly awesome next 11. Then, it goes in a very Code Geass R2 direction... which means, since your mind works backward to my own, you'll no doubt <3 it.)

I never buy on recommendations, as I whitelist things way before they are licensed. I was itching to buy it since Thanksgiving lowered the price at TRSI but needed the excuse of Toradora to make me bother sending them an email to add things to my orders :)

Your review did make me sort of hopeful it might have some watchability other than for the attractive pink-haired girl though. Well, half of it at least. I'll let you know which half I liked best when I see it.

R

Be aware that I can't agree with the child molester '<3' viewpoint on Toradora, when you receive it. Paying for expensive Toradora box sets is not my idea of money well spent. If it was £17.99 for the whole series, it'd be worth it - a lot more than that and you're ripping yourself off.

Typing of Blassreiter, if you lot use the following link, you can still order it over on PlayUSA. No idea if they'll actually send it but they did send my final Hell Girl set, today.

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/PRO ... d=16586386

...Uhhh, shouldn't you be watching it for the scrawny younger brother of the pink-haired girl, assuming grizzly older men are out of your fantasy reach? (Gotta love anime; always having her with her cleavage on show/zipper down when not on the job.)

Kaleido: The start of the show was lighthearted, yet there's bound to be a nice amount of drama alongside the humour. My instincts tell me it's an 8/10+ show, and its average on MAL goes along with me.

(Shoujo of Kodocha's ilk, where serious, moving drama is paired together with all manner of hilarity to avoid emoing, REALLY do it for me.)

AironicallyHuman said:
Be aware that I can't agree with the child molester '<3' viewpoint on Toradora, when you receive it. Paying for expensive Toradora box sets is not my idea of money well spent. If it was £17.99 for the whole series, it'd be worth it - a lot more than that and you're ripping yourself off.

I am old enough to know how to spend my own cash, thanks :). I don't really like school romance/comedies much, but it looks high quality and has a delightful first opening song, so it's worth $34 to me for a punt at part one. I'd also like NISA to start putting out more stuff that has been passed over by other companies so I get more anime; everyone wins. I'm sure that the extra sale will spur them on to immediately announce a deluxe edition of Miracle Train in R1 any second now.

Also, please stop randomly declaring everyone who likes the show a child molester. It fundamentally makes no sense, and it will lead to harassment moderations in your imminent future.

On topic just also bought Glass Fleet on impulse because it was so cheap on Amazon USA that it was a crime to think twice about it. Thankfully I already have all of the other S.A.V.E. stuff that I want or that sale could have been far more damaging :/

R

Rui said:
as I whitelist things
I almost feel like this is worth a thread of its own, but is the larger processof how you keep track of series you are interested in/reading/watching/buying as in-depth as this comment suggests it might be? I really need better organization when it comes to this sort of thing.

Rui said:
I am old enough to know how to spend my own cash, thanks :)

No need to get sharp. Depending on how old you are, you could see it as me looking out for my elders, and that's nothing if not respectful.

Toradora promotes a sexual relationship with a girl who looks and acts the wrong side of ten, and has its lead go against normality by him showing no interest in actual fully grown women. That makes it a good seller with those with certain fetishes, this one imagines.

Moderating a well thought out comment; preventing the freedom of text. I see little difference between the two.

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
as I whitelist things
I almost feel like this is worth a thread of its own, but is the larger processof how you keep track of series you are interested in/reading/watching/buying as in-depth as this comment suggests it might be? I really need better organization when it comes to this sort of thing.

It's not that in depth, but I keep track of my targets at all times from when they first pop up in Newtype/news pages, and those which interest me live in a text file. When they are licensed or get a release that meets my price:features criteria, I upgrade them to "buy soon" status, then I actually buy them when they are cheap enough or I feel like spending some cash. I never buy anything that I haven't previously premeditated, but sometimes I will buy things earlier than planned due to sales.

Once I have actually bought/watched/read something my house becomes my physical database and I don't keep track of it otherwise. I guess that's kind of the opposite way around to how a lot of people work.

R

Kurokami 3, for £13. The price went up to £14+ on Amazon (sellers) on the day I intended to buy it, but it went back down today.

Now I need the fourth and final volume to be sold again...

(As an adaptation, Kurokami is poor - Keita no longer acting like a gigolo/beating up Kuro and being reduced to an emo high school brat. However, it looks sexy, and Laura Bailey x Kuro = orgasmic pleasure for my ears.)

I use the force to determine what to buy, FYI. If it's cheap enough, I do a lil' research (look-up its MAL entry), and if I still need help I watch a bit of the first episode. By then I know if it's good or not.

My past... exploits have resulted in me buying a lot of anime purely because it's cheap anime, and that's why I'm watching Tenjho Tenge at the mo. But VERY rarely did I find myself unhappy with my purchases, these days.

With experience comes wisdom.

PS: I </3 disrespectful old ladies (who might be men) almost as much as I </3 Toradora <3ers.

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
as I whitelist things

answers
I like it, some long-term pre-planning. :) I try to do this with figures these days, as it's a bit more important if you actually want to buy them, but I really should be a bit more organized with my anime - might stop me suddenly finding out that something has been licensed and is actually available to buy, and then me having to make an unplanned purchase. ^^;

britguy said:
ilmaestro said:
Finally shipped from Amazon Japan:

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu BD Complete Box

^____^

Fancy posting some pics somewhere? =]

Was it worth £230?
Sure, I will put up some pics later on this evening, although the set is fairly "standard" (not surprising given its pretty low price compared to other similar length series sets recently).

As for that price - I guess it depends how much you like Haruhi. :)

I thought as much. The Steelbook release for Disappearance looks really nice, but I heard it is G1 size =[

I'm a blu-ray steelbook collector, so I was tempted to pick it up even though it hasn't got dub/subs but now it's a no for me =[

edit- and on the topic of planning releases, I have a multipaged spreadsheet (fully coded for stat collecting et al)for my collection which also has all my planned future blu-ray buys as well as titles i unfortunately had to sell off and need to rebuy or just missed out on initially.

Here's my steelbook and SE pages:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back