The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Yeah, their iPhone app is cool, sometimes I will use it just because I can't be bothered to move to where my PC is, haha.

As for the dramas... I've never been convinced that they're putting too much effort into that, at least while they're expanding their anime selection at such a rate. Could be wrong, obviously, and the membership is still good value on that deal either way. I would definitely upgrade if they started offering anything intereting though.

I resisted the 20% off code. But 30% off; a one-day code? When I have bookmarks to prices of interest?... I lost.

ss1u0.jpg

ss2zn.jpg

ss3d.jpg

ss4p0.jpg

ss50.jpg

The first order consists of final volumes I need. They only had one in stock for each, or very few, and the prices were unlikely to change.

Heroic Age I was torn about. It's a recent Funimation release, with no complete set under customs, and it's cheap. The review scores are mixed... but I never take reviews too seriously, anyway. At the end of the day, if I hate it, some nice guy/idiot on eBay should be willing to cover my back.

After watching a little of the first episode of City Hunter, I think me and it will get along well. Very well. Light pervy comedy aside, its tone and art style make me think of Kawajiri, and I <3 Kawajiri. It lacking school girls and being old school were the deciding factors.

Patlabor I was super-torn over. On one hand, it's an old school classic that combines serious mecha with episodic comedy. On the other, Oshii's involvement suggests much future suffering. (I actually winced when glancing over a review and discovered a two-part story covers the events of the second movie.) Sadly, I do have a masochistic interest in understanding the Patlabor characters more, before re-watching the movies... AND ALL THREE SETS WERE DIRT CHEAP!!!!

Those Who Hunt Elves looks fun. I like fun; especially when it's cheap and an all-in-one set. I have absolutely no idea if I'll love or hate it... but, on the positive side, its stupidity will no doubt cheer me up after I realize I spent so much on yet another Oshii offering I hate.

I'm not buying anything else until near the end of next month, for myself, and I'm only going to do so because the TBD codes expire on the 24th, if memory serves.

I was about to express my displeasure at missing out on an extra ten percent of savings, but then I did the numbers: all four volumes of Gun Frontier would have put me in customs/Royal Mail arserape danger territory. I could have added something else to make up two $30 orders, but going by how many DVDs I buy from Second Spin that end up getting a third spin via ebay, it's best I don't buy **** I don't want.

Oshii's involvement with the Patlabor TV series is minimal. IIRC he directed and scripted a couple of episodes but that's about it. The two-part story that would be remade into the second movie is from the first OVA series, in which Oshii had a much bigger hand. I'm pleased to hear that you're rewatching the movies (presumably) to fix your incorrect opinions. Admitting you're wrong is an honourable thing to do.

(The TBD code expires on the 15th, btw)

The "Tasty!" at the top of this page reminded me very much of a scene from Fujoshi Kanojo. Brrrrr.

Gun Frontier shouldn't prove to be a waste of money, if only because it's the only anime western. Much like HotD is anime's only answer to the hordes of Hollywood zombie flicks, that kind of... originality has worth.

In your case, it'll be especially interesting - you not having watched a series with its unique art style previously. (Not too fond of the round, fat shrimps, mind... though you may be able to relate more.)

I was going to tell you the My-Otome OVA is going for cheap on SS. I didn't because, really, when do you ever accept my advice? Even if I told you via the link in the sales thread I *think* it's still possible to order Blassreiter you wouldn't care... just like you wouldn't care about getting the first set for $16 before discounts on SS.

You never know: if I build up some sort of connection with the characters before watching Oshii waste no time on fleshing them out in the movies, I might at least stay awake until the end of Pat 2. And I might even understand wtf happens with the aid of the anime episodes that cover its story.

Doraemon666 said:
Magic Knight Rayearth Season 1-Remastered
Magic Knight Rayearth Season 2-Remastered
Trigun Complete Series
Gungrave Complete Series
Le Chevalier D'Eon Complete Series-S.A.V.E. Edition
Durarara-collection 1
Eden of the East
added ocean waves and ponyo to the above order.

AironicallyHuman said:
I was going to tell you the My-Otome OVA is going for cheap on SS. I didn't because, really, when do you ever accept my advice?
Why wouldn't I have gone for that, having just bought the TV series and all? I didn't even know there was an OVA, tbh, and I can't find it on SS.

Over the last few days I've made use of TBD's discount codes to order volumes 6-11 of 20th Century Boys and volumes 3-4 of Lovely Complex. That should be ample reading material for the rest of the year. (More to the point, after the ferocious battering my bank balance has taken of late it'll bloody well have to be.)

mangaman74 said:
Just ordered the following,

Yotsuba v.9 (preorder)
Kobato v2
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya v.7
Robot V1
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Hardcover) (preorder)

WHSmiths cancelled my order of Robot v. 1 (could not get stock). I did put an order in with play.com but have since cancelled and ordered the Robot bundle from Akadot.

http://www.akadot.com/robot-vol1-bundle-p-31830.html

It does not say it is the English version on the site but I email them and they said it the bundle is the US version.

mangaman74 said:
WHSmiths cancelled my order of Robot v. 1 (could not get stock). I did put an order in with play.com but have since cancelled and ordered the Robot bundle from Akadot.

http://www.akadot.com/robot-vol1-bundle-p-31830.html

It does not say it is the English version on the site but I email them and they said it the bundle is the US version.
It's OOP and is a licensing nightmare, not too surprised it's hard to get.

...and I'll be adding Gantz 14 to the reading list, for Amazon have just informed me that it's been dispatched. Hell yeahhh. This one's getting devoured the moment it drops through my letterbox.

In spite of my previous 'LAST PURCHASES' post, I ordered Kaleido S1, am about to order Kurokami 3 (...I'll need to soon, anyway...) and will soon use another TBD voucher before I forget to A) pre-order NG Life 7-8 and B) order more of Love Com.

;___;

-----

Ah, the wonders of Amazon pre-orders. The only downer is when you pre-order books months in advance, forgetting, and then realize all too late the prices haven't dropped from £7.50+...

I was mistaken about the Otome OVA, it would seem. (There's another OVA - this one a prequel - being released next year, afaik.)

This will have to do: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

And, really: do you expect me to keep putting in the effort required to link you to **** when you put your nose up at getting a great movie (new) for £5? **** off before I - *gasp* - electronically slap you again. YOU DIDN'T EVEN WIN THOSE CHRONO CRUSADE BOOKS!!!

Shipped from Amazon:

Rebuild of Evangelion 2011 Calendar
Bakemonogatari: Complete Anime Guide
Dengeki G's Magazine 2011/01 - comes w/Kirino Nendo Petit, oh yes

AironicallyHuman said:
That's not as cheap as I'd like for a four-episode disc, especially when I haven't seen the series yet (and when that series cost me less than £20). If I love the show and absolutely must have the OVA straight away then maybe, otherwise I'll keep an eye on SS.

You post these links because, despite all the bravado, you are my bitch.

Incidentally, My-Otome arrived today, just over a week after ordering. The Amazon seller "all your music" [are belong to us] have written themselves into my good books of late.

Kurokami Part 4
Taisho Baseball Girls
Haruhi Second Season

I had to forgo those SS codes as Crimbo shopping has basically bankrupted me. I may though just use another BD voucher on the 15th as it is payday.

Rena Ryuugu said:
Higurashi: Beyond Midnight arc volume 1

I have been looking forward to reading this especially as I really enjoyed playing this arc :D
You can't have it's the manga only arc.
It's not part of Daybreak (Rei) either.

I bit on the cheap Toradora part 1 at TRSI as well as Blassreiter's complete collection just because it was also cheap and has hot character designs (have had my eye on it since it first went on sale, and it being still on sale at the same time as Toradora broke me). I'm not particularly expecting to like either but I've bought so many Christmas presents lately that I don't care about being frugal any more. No doubt TRSI's winter sale will claim me again in the coming weeks.

Still frothing at my post box every evening, but Durarara!! has yet to appear. Did get my Hikki SCv2 CD set though.

R

Neither had I, tbh, I just knew that that was what Rena had been playing, so I took a guess and sure enough it was there, haha.

fabricatedlunatic said:
That's not as cheap as I'd like for a four-episode disc, especially when I haven't seen the series yet (and when that series cost me less than £20)
In its defence (and you might very well already know this), it was on OVA rather than more TV episodes, so a higher price is to be expected. Also, please spare a thought for those of us that bought it one episode at a time while it was being released in Japan originally. :p To scoff at that sort of price for a four-part OVA is a little bit of modern revisionist thinking, imo.

Back