The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

serial experiments Lain and haibane renmie. one that's plainly a classic and the other what I've seen of it ooh boy is it an incredibly niche one, could hardly find any viable purchase of Haibane renmie until just now, and even then it's only on DVD. I have seen both in my patch & parrot days but that also means it's been a long time since I've seen either

serial experiments Lain and haibane renmie. one that's plainly a classic and the other what I've seen of it ooh boy is it an incredibly niche one, could hardly find any viable purchase of Haibane renmie until just now, and even then it's only on DVD. I have seen both in my patch & parrot days but that also means it's been a long time since I've seen either
Haibane Renmie is wonderful, it's just a shame that the DVD looks like long play VHS tape 😕

Ooo, Haibane Renmei had a beautiful DVD wrap-around art box back in the day, I was able to snag one of those a few years ago, rather than the plain brown-wrapper box they also released the series in... I really need to sit down and finish that series sometime soon, I've only seen the first 5 or 6 episodes as of yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

haibane1.jpg

haibane2.jpg

Unfortunately, there's nothing to restore (or if there is, they'll never spend the time and money to restore it). It was a show made very early in the days of studios switching over to digipaint rather than traditional cel-based production. There's been BDs of the show in Japan for years, and they're awful upscales of an already unfortunately muddy-looking show.

Ooo, Haibane Renmei had a beautiful DVD wrap-around art box back in the day, I was able to snag one of those a few years ago, rather than the plain brown-wrapper box they also released the series in...
I have the plain box, which I actually really like, I really love minimalist designs like that. I'd love to own the first BD box they released in Japan for the same reason. Very simple, yet classy looking design, something rarely seen in anime. :p

I'm assuming I didn't order a restoration since it's the DVD but it's MVM, it's new - ish compared to some of the imports I can find, only noticed it popped up on amazon then I ordered it straight away

I have the plain box, which I actually really like, I really love minimalist designs like that. I'd love to own the first BD box they released in Japan for the same reason. Very simple, yet classy looking design, something rarely seen in anime. :p

I take my lunch to work in a pain brown paper bag - you can have some of those too if you want... ;)

Unfortunately, there's nothing to restore (or if there is, they'll never spend the time and money to restore it). It was a show made very early in the days of studios switching over to digipaint rather than traditional cel-based production. There's been BDs of the show in Japan for years, and they're awful upscales of an already unfortunately muddy-looking show.

Huh that sucks, would be nice to have an edition of the series that doesn't look so murky.

I also have the "plain brown box" version and vastly prefer it over the one above. Mine is damaged though and the disks are a right mess as I bought it off eBay so I should really replace it...

Back