The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

I'd like to watch Hayate but to say I'm not thrilled with Bandai's release -- 7 episodes on one disc, sub-only, for $40 -- would be an understatement. I'll wait for a collection.

fabricatedlunatic said:
7 episodes on one disc, sub-only, for $40
And they wonder why people don't upgrade from their fansubs.

Fansub: Poor picture quality, sub only.
Official Release: Poor picture quality, sub only, costs $40.

face-palm.jpg

Nothing wrong with seven episodes on a disc. 7 x 20 = 2.20 (lol at 220), and some movies go on longer than that. You also have to take into consideration that anime tends not to have extras.

You've been brainwashed by anime companies who want to milk titles for as much as they can. Video quality has nothing to do with DVDs in Japan only having two episodes per disc - it's just a case of milking the cow.

...However, I must admit I like having more discs included; I usually work out how much I'm going to pay by spending so much per disc.

And some movies look pretty crap on DVD too, bitrate does make a difference.

I'll admit I didn't really notice it before I started upscaling onto my HDTV, but ADV's 3 ep. discs from several years ago like Kino's Journey and Abenobashi look better than new Manga & Beez 5 ep. discs from Death Note & Gurren Lagann. There are considerably less compression artifacts with the lower runtimes. More than anything I think it's making me notice the limitations of the DVD format, one of the reasons I'm pretty up for the Blu-ray transition now.

I'm sure that the low number of episodes on Japanese releases are a case of profit, but quality is still a good side effect.

I was just a little disappointed it cost as much for a single disc as some of the box sets and multi disc collections have recently. Still I have paid more for singles in the past. Which is where that kind of pricing should stay.

Got the following today:

Phantom - The Animation + Phantom the Inferno Game
Green Green Volumes 1 to 3
Mahoromatic - Summer Special
Venus Versus Virus - Complete
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - Volumes 1 to 6
Please Teacher - Complete
Lyrical Nanoha A's - Complete

Plus, got my Yuki Nagato Extravaganza Guitar Edition yesterday :D

Last night (after a week of two of "I'll do it later") got around to spending some of my returned deposit money:
All anime:

Girl's high collection
Devil hunte Yohko collection
Kashimashi collection
Suzuka collection
Princess Tutu collection

Well, hope you enjoy those Truered- you had to endure quite a bit of hassle to get that money back, did you not?

I myself received the old Kiseki Films' release of Gunbuster today. My options were to buy that or to spend four times the amount on importing the remastered R1 release.

TGWLTT: 2 Disc LE (new, £5.50)
Kare Kano: Vol. 1-3 (new, £7)
Stratos 4: Box Set (new, £10)

SS:

Welcome to the NHK: Vol. 2 ($3)
Gundam Zeta: Double Disc Set 3 ($3)
Texhnolyze: Vol. 3 ($3.50)
Happy Lesson: Teachers' Pet Collection ($13)
Twelve Kingdoms: Set 1 ($22)

Naruto set 14 (ugh) and Maria-sama Ga Miteru season one. I've already seen the latter and loved every minute of it so I want it on my shelf. We're in the filler arc of Naruto now in our watching and I can't say I'm enjoying it very much; still this close to the end we want to see it through and then take a break before considering whether to try Shippuuden by the time it's in bargain sets.

Also grabbed the GBA version of FFVI from SecondSpin for 20% off and free shipping. I already own it on PS1 and twice on the SNES so I don't feel particularly bad about buying it used, especially since it seems hard to find at a good price at places which only stock legitimate carts.

R

Rui said:
Naruto set 14 (ugh). We're in the filler arc of Naruto now in our watching and I can't say I'm enjoying it very much; still this close to the end we want to see it through and then take a break before considering whether to try Shippuuden by the time it's in bargain sets.

R

Not sure what to do about Shippuden myself. I might wait and see if the US are going to be getting multi disc sets like Naruto. I am not sure if I want to buy single discs for a long show again, like I am doing with Bleach.

Dracos said:
Rui said:
Naruto set 14 (ugh). We're in the filler arc of Naruto now in our watching and I can't say I'm enjoying it very much; still this close to the end we want to see it through and then take a break before considering whether to try Shippuuden by the time it's in bargain sets.

R

Not sure what to do about Shippuden myself. I might wait and see if the US are going to be getting multi disc sets like Naruto. I am not sure if I want to buy single discs for a long show again, like I am doing with Bleach.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH GOD...HAHAHAHA!!!

What's wrong with you!?

Back