The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

I'll level with you: I haven't read any Tezuka manga. It's expensive to buy and I'm too lazy to read his work online. However, I have seen the Phoenix anime and liked it, and I've also seen Metropolis. I'd like to at least check out Phoenix at some point.

But whether Tezuka is bad or not isn't what I'm getting at. He was one man with one brain, meaning there was a limit to how varied his art and quality stories could be. Every man has a limit when it comes to creativity. He may have been the best at what he did, but you'll never know for sure unless you read more of the highly rated manga out there. It's like the Evangelion/Rahxephon thing I've mentioned in the past.

The Battle Royale film is horrible compared to the novel and manga. The lead can only scream, the supporting cast cannot act and all of the character development gets cut. I stoped watching after an hour.

Genshiken does have some references to Gundam and the like - stuff even I didn't get - but the main point of it all is that, despite peoples differences, everyone is the same underneath. It's character driven goodness.

NHK doesn't focus on otaku culture. It has an otaku in it and there are mentions of anime, but it's really a story about a recluse who somehow finds himself tied to a salvation plan; a plan thought up by a nutty and hot girl who decided to make him her project for her own reasons.

Chrono Crusade has no fan service (that I recall, anyway). It isn't that sort of manga. It's a love story/adventure combo.

GTO is about real people with real problems...problems solved by an uneducated man who knows more about the world (and can handle lots of pain) than his students. It's meaningful and very funny at the same time. And the art is probably the best I've ever seen.

Suikoden III is an obscure title. You've played FF but most likely still haven't played a Suikoden - that's proof enough. The same goes for Confidential Confessions. I recommend you read just so that you understand how good the Suikoden stories are. You never know, you might try one of the games because of it.

I'm not sure what I can recommend on the unknown front... I haven't read a Godly amount. Lament of the Lamb and Ito's work you're aware of already, so that's them out. Going on what's on my list, you should look into Bitter Virgin, Bradherley's Coach, Goth, Dear Friends, Bokurano and possibly Tsukihime. Those are lesser known titles that I rate highly.

Aion said:
GTO is about real people with real problems...problems solved by an uneducated man who knows more about the world (and can handle lots of pain) than his students. It's meaningful and very funny at the same time. And the art is probably the best I've ever seen.

One word okay two Air Gear

My Patlabor 1 & 2 Collector editions finally arrived today in a large box, wrapped in bubble wrap. Nice to see Play went to the effort. My numbers were 185/1000 and 455/1000.

Also had a second copy of Case Closed Season 5 arrived today after the first went missing and then later turned up as customs got their mitts on it and held it back for like 2 weeks.

Still waiting on Guyver Volumes 1 and 4 though :(

Gurren Lagann
Bought the normal edition. Looking forward to seeing this, seeing how good its supposed to be!

Claymore 1&2
Never read the manga but i heard the anime was good. Also looking forward to this.

Fullmetal alchemist series 2 part 2
FINALLY! i have all epsiodes of FMA and ill finally be able to finish it.

Fullmetal Alchemist the movie
Also bought the movie so ill FULLY finish it.

and i bought all these from HMV

FINALLY, the book depository had Swallowing the Earth (by Tezuka!) in stock for a few hours this morning and I'm pretty sure I managed to get the very last copy as the book was out of stock when I checked again after my order went through :]

Still waiting on them to ship out my Lady Snowblood order >:/

CitizenGeek said:
FINALLY, the book depository had Swallowing the Earth (by Tezuka!) in stock for a few hours this morning and I'm pretty sure I managed to get the very last copy as the book was out of stock when I checked again after my order went through :]

Still waiting on them to ship out my Lady Snowblood order >:/

They probably only had one copy 8/
I know I've never heard of it

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not very popular but the pusblisher must be doing a pretty awful job of distributing it if Amazon.com doesn't even have it in stock. It's one of Tezuka's adult works, AFAIK, and it's all in one volume which is very appealing (and I've loved Ode to Kirihito, Apollo's Song and MW, all of which were single, large volumes, though they were published by Vertical and this one is by DMP.) If you're interested, check out Swallowing the Earth here :]

I now have both R2 volumes of Dominion Tank Police.
I discovered they're both dub-only, but aside the main character things still sound quite pleasant. Shield your eyes from the phallic landmines, children!

Manga:

Tokyo Bablyon volume 6
One Piece volume 21
Maison Ikkoku volume 7
Fruits Basket volume 3

Waterstones has got their 3 for 2 offer on manga again :D

Anime:

Zone of the Enders Idolo
Tokyo Underground boxset

MONONOKE said:
Manga:

Tokyo Bablyon volume 6
One Piece volume 21
Maison Ikkoku volume 7
Fruits Basket volume 3

Waterstones has got their 3 for 2 offer on manga again :D

Anime:

Zone of the Enders Idolo
Tokyo Underground boxset

Really!!!??? Alright I have been waiting months for that

Strawbichigo Marshimaro R1 singles. $35 off eBay.

All three volumes, sealed with thier LE extras, which means:

Artbox
CD Soundtrack
2007 Calender
3x Pencil Boards
Liner Note Posters
Full Colour Inserts
Nice plastic box which fits on your DVD shelf to hold all the extras.

My only regret, Geneon, is that I didn't appreciate you enough when you were alive. I wish I'd bought the original R1 Ergo Proxy and Haibane Renmei singles too...

:p

Yep. My V2 just came with a pencil board (I don't know if there was a better edition of that volume or not), But my V1 also included the soundtrack and useful plastic box, and V3 the artbox and calender.

Back