The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Yesterday I won an auction for Get Backers 1-7. Like with Togari 1-7 - which arrived today - I paid around £2 per volume.

In other news, I sold one of my Gundam Wing sets on the same day they arrived, without even trying to sell it. If only Beez had made the RRP 70 instead of £100...

Haibane Renmei Boxset. Cost me £25 in CEX, but I traded in Fable II [was about to trade it for Blazblue in my local game shop, but they don't have it on import yet].

The box is nice, but cheap. Now I just need to be arsed to watch it all =] But I bought it because I'm a huge sucker for ABe's work.

The Special Edition of Gundam 00 arrived in the mail today...well i say arrived, was left outside on my doorstep, as per usual. Tis a nice set i will say.

Togari: Volume 8 - I got volumes 1-7 (as new) off eBay, liked the first 2 volumes and figured I'd complete my collection.

Rozen Maiden: Traumend - I got a sealed copy of the first series off eBay for £18 the other day, so I thought I'd get the sequel for another £18. I should've read the manga first - I might hate it - but whatever.

Aion said:
Rozen Maiden: Traumend - I got a sealed copy of the first series off eBay for £18 the other day, so I thought I'd get the sequel for another £18. I should've read the manga first - I might hate it - but whatever.

The manga is fairly different, at times bearing little resemblance especially the end.

I bought Ghost Slayers Ayashi Part 1 LE.

Ordered Black Jack vol. 4. I've been buying nothing but Tezuka manga (with the exception of Lady Snowblood) lately. I need to vary my manga purchasing a bit I think. What are all the cool kids reading these days?

CitizenGeek said:
I need to vary my manga purchasing a bit I think.

Your biggest flaw is that you stick to the work of one creator. Variation is the spice of life...or however that shite saying goes. You can't be a true of fan of anything until you've seen enough to be able to compare the quality and know just how good something is.

I'm not cool, but I do know of some good ****.

With my 15.4 day manga reading stat on MAL, I'm now an expert on these matters.

Like the idea of high school kids killing each other until one remains? Battle Royale. The 15 volumes have been reduced to five in hardback books now, which is a good thing if you plan om collecting it new.

Like the idea of serious business mixed with comedy (and panty shots, but you aren't the panty shot way)? GTO.

Like the idea of reading the rom-com that started 'em all; without the perverted stuff that ruined Love Hina for you because you're a man's man? Maison Ikkoku.

Like the idea of reading a story about otaku at college in a club? Genshiken.

Want to see lots of easy to follow and exciting fights? Naruto.

Want some devil x nun romance, mixed with a touching story? Chrono Crusade.

...etc, etc.

Suikoden III is worth a look (you like RP...err, Final Fantasy), Welcome to the NHK has excellent art and is an enjoyable comedy, Confidential Confessions is good **** if you lack a dick or are interested in depressing, realistic stories... There's a lot out there.

While Tezuka is just one artist, his work is very, very broad. Ode to Kirihito couldn't be more distinct from Astro Boy. Black Jack is entirely different to Phoenix. His work spans almost all genres. You should read some more of his stuff!

Thanks for the reccomendations, but not a lot of that appeals to me. Naruto is far too long-running, I've already seen the movie of Battle Royale (loved it, but not enough to really care about the manga), Genshiken and Welcome to the NHK do appeal but they're centred on otaku culture and I just don't think I've seen enough anime or manga to justify watching a satire of it and Chrono Crusade seems like far too much fanservice.

GTO seems like a good read, but again, the panty shots and the basic plot (a bad-ass, renegade teacher) is somewhat cringe-inducing.

I guess mainstream stuff doesn't really do it for me right now. Recommend me some obscure stuff :p

Back