The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

You've spoiled it now :(

/cancels order

Seriously, though, you don't watch stuff like Afro Samurai for the plot. Or you shouldn't. The show's raison d'être is obviously the fight scenes, with the plot nothing more than an excuse to set them up. It's like the story bits in fighting games.

The fights in Naruto are better. Why don't you watch that for the fights? :p

As flashy as the animation is in Afro Samurai, the fights come across as empty as the main character...well, apart from the fight against pedobear. And, talking of the main character, I swear he's a black version of Forrest Gump - I don't recall him stringing more than a few words together.

*steps in*

I don't think AS story line is anything but background noise imo. The only reason I like watching it is probably the same reason anyone else would with half a brain, and that would be for the animation and fights. That's the whole point. I only watch it for mindless violence when I'm bored tbh.

Also, Aion... I don't care much about the story line but there will be people who will want to find out how crap it is for themselves. Try spoilers next time.
:wink:

I was hoping showing how simplistic the plot is by summing it up in as few words as possible would put people off.

Fabio: I'll slap you if you don't rate it 3/10 after you rated one of the best animes ever 6/10. It's an insult to compare that to Americanized trash. And yes, I'm deadly serious about somehow slapping you when we're many miles apart and only know each other through a PC screen.

Aion said:
I was hoping showing how simplistic the plot is by summing it up in as few words as possible would put people off.

Fabio: I'll slap you if you don't rate it 3/10 after you rated one of the best animes ever 6/10. It's an insult to compare that to Americanized trash. And yes, I'm deadly serious about somehow slapping you when we're many miles apart and only know each other through a PC screen.

:lol: Opinionated today aren't we. :p

I would suggest people watch it to find out for themselves however don't rush to purchase unless your getting it on the cheap.

"Today"? :p

I'm a big fan of Yoshiaki Kawajiri and his particular brand of stylish, atmospheric action anime. Afro Samurai evokes that. We don't get enough of this kind of show any more -- the hyperviolent and stylish action OVA that exists because, well, someone just wanted to make it. Nowadays few anime are made unless they're deemed by some committee of corporate dickheads to have enough "otaku" appeal.

So, instead of anime aimed at otaku, you prefer 'anime' aimed at people who think Mr. Jackson is the best actor ever? :eek:

I'm big fan of stories that aren't stupid myself. Action only works if there's emotional attachment and build-up leading up to the action. In the case of Afro Samurai, it was mindless fight after mindless fight, with only the battle with pedobear having any emotional value.

Otaku are far, far more annoying that Jackson fans, so yeah.

I'm not sure I'd agree that good action requires emotional attachment. Where's the emotional attachment in Hellsing Ultimate? Seras is the only vaguely sympathetic character, but she has zero character development in that version. Atmosphere is more important to me.

It all depends on what your looking for. I know what your saying Aion as I too like my anime to have some depth to it as that increases viewing enjoyment. Some anime on the other hand (maybe not on pupose) but are just there for visual enjoyment rather than to challenge us in anyway mentaly. Afro is in example of this type of anime.
I'm going to leave this point now anyway coz obviosuly everyone has there right to their own opinion, and that one was just mine. ^^

Got myself Gurren Laggan Part 1 (Vol. 1+2) in the post today. Doubt I'll be getting anything else this month as i'll probably need the money.

Prompted by the Street Fighter II thread, went to look for my SF anime - couldn't find it for the life of me, so picked up SFII and SFA since they're dirt cheap on Amazon.

ilmaestro said:
Prompted by the Street Fighter II thread, went to look for my SF anime - couldn't find it for the life of me, so picked up SFII and SFA since they're dirt cheap on Amazon.

Brainwashed by ilmaestro's subliminal advertising, I grabbed SFII as well to upgrade my crummy old dubbed VHS. Yay!

R

Put in orders for Appleseed Ex Machina while it was cheap on Play.com and the first volume of Fate/ Stay Night which i pray to god comes out more freqent then the Tsukihime manga, waiting a year between volumes is very annoying.

Won an auction for Berserk vol1 dvd on ebay a few days ago but forgot to post :p

Haven't been anime-buying that much recently; Currently considering getting a poster I've seen..

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:

Brainwashed by ilmaestro's subliminal advertising, I grabbed SFII as well to upgrade my crummy old dubbed VHS. Yay!

R
I'm quoting this so I can add it as evidence when I invoice Manga for my efforts. ^_^

Oh yeah, my actually post:

From the US:

Baccano! v.1 w/ Art Box

And from Japan:

Ikki Tousen GG v.5
Mouryou no Hako v.1 w/ Art Box
Mouryou no Hako v.2
Code Geass v.6 (Blu-ray)
Code Geass R2 v.6 (Blu-ray)
Macross F v.6 (Blu-ray)
Gundam 00 v.7 (Blu-ray)

Back