The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Zen 2nd said:
Its much like how Alucard's name from Hellsing is Arucard in Japan but still pronounced the same.
Why would anybody want Arucard over Alucard. Guess what Alucard is in reverse... that's right, Dracula. I think it's abvious it was always meant to be Alucard. Who ever heard of Dracura.

Minor name changes don't usually bother me so much. If it were something like changing Batou to Steve then I would have more of a problem with it.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
I think that's glaringly obvious, and needs no further explanation.
What are the connotations of Zoro? The famous swordsman from the film. What are the connotations of Zolo? What the ****?

Well, Zoro from One Piece really doesn't resemble the legend of Zoro at all, so the connotations really mean nothing. Besides, it's not "censorship", right? Isn't Zoro copyrighted in the US?

I don't think you even know who Zoro is do you.

Zoro from One Piece is a swordsman trying to be the best swordsman in the One Piece world.
Zorro is a renowned swordsman (for what ever reason - I've not seen the film in a long time).

I think the connotations are more than obvious.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
Would you like to see little Shinji from Evangelion get a name change to Binji or something similar? No, I didn't think so.

That's a ridiculous comparison. "Zolo" doesn't sound as silly as "Binji" :roll:

Yes, yes it does, seriously.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
Censoring of any kind makes me feel violently ill. So much so that I refuse to buy any manga that has been edited. I doubt I'll ever read the Naruto manga from the boxset I bought. It's nice to have a look at, but not to think about the horror of the edits inside. (However small they may be).

Just seems like yet another excuse, trotted out by certain folks, not to buy anime or manga ;]

What possible reason would I have not to buy anime and/or manga, I bloody spend all my money on it. This is the most ridiculous reasoning I've ever seen.

CitizenGeek said:
Wait ... why is Zoro's name such a big deal again?
Don't worry, it's really not. It's just something else trivial for anime fans to cry about on Youtube...it's a change from dubtitles and DBZ being cropped. :)

OT...My DBZ season 3 box came today. :)

Maltos said:
Zen's post reminded me that Little Norse Prince is the only film i'm missing in the Ghibli set. So i proceded to order it!
Thanks for reminding me Zen!!

It was your earlier post about it that made me order it. I too will have completed my collection of Ghibli films that are available on DVD. :D

Sy said:
Zen 2nd said:
Its much like how Alucard's name from Hellsing is Arucard in Japan but still pronounced the same.
Why would anybody want Arucard over Alucard. Guess what Alucard is in reverse... that's right, Dracula. I think it's abvious it was always meant to be Alucard. Who ever heard of Dracura.

Minor name changes don't usually bother me so much. If it were something like changing Batou to Steve then I would have more of a problem with it.

Hey its not me who cares of name changes ^^;

Notice that several English sounds are missing from the Japanese language entirely: "c," "f," "l," "q," "v," and "x." When Japanese want to represent these sounds, they have to use Japanese syllables that sound almost the same.

So to us its Alucard, no question about it. To a Japanese person pronouncing Arucard it would sound exactly like Alucard.

Zen 2nd said:
Maltos said:
Zen's post reminded me that Little Norse Prince is the only film i'm missing in the Ghibli set. So i proceded to order it!
Thanks for reminding me Zen!!

It was your earlier post about it that made me order it. I too will have completed my collection of Ghibli films that are available on DVD. :D

Hahah!

It arrived today and my complete set is looking pretty awesome on the shelf :D

I just need to finish watching them now :lol:

DARN! My yuri and yaoi still hasn't come :/

Sy said:

I really don't like it when English publishers decide not to alter obvious Engrish in anime or manga, for example the title of the manga "Blame!" is obviously a mis-spelling of the onomatopoeia "Blam!" but it wasn't changed for US release. Or when anime fans accept this Engrish as official (example: calling Shinji the "first children". Ugh.).

melonpan said:

Eh, they both use swords and are renowned in their worlds. There are a lot of anime characters like that, is there not? Honestly, it doesn't deserve the angry hysteria online anime fans are so fond of when it comes to localisation.

Recieved the S-CRY-ed complete collection with "Limited Edition" casing today, noticing that UK will be getting it sometime in the near future after I ordered it.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:

Eh, they both use swords and are renowned in their worlds. There are a lot of anime characters like that, is there not? Honestly, it doesn't deserve the angry hysteria online anime fans are so fond of when it comes to localisation.
No, Really! Eiichiro Oda takes a lot off information and is very keen off America and things to do with the country. Its meant to be a representation off Zorro himself (Although he hasn't officially said so). Also, They are both swordsmen and both called Zoro. Its not just by mistake. Hence why changing it to Zolo is a bit off a pointless change, To go with a lot of other changes 4Kids made to it, For example; Ace being called Trace for some unknown reason.

Its not really "angry hysteria". Its more off a pointless change that shouldn't affect copyright made by FourKids whom every self respecting anime fan likes to HATE at some point in their life.

As someone said earlier - It is like calling Shinji Binji. Even if it doesn't sound as stupid its the fans have the same affection for the character as you do for Shinji or the like. ;p

CitizenGeek said:
Isn't Zoro copyrighted in the US?

Actually I believe its just the cape and black mask and hat that would be copyrighted since you can't really copyright a Spanish word.

Zorro is the Spanish for fox if you didn't know.

for manga I got ceres celestial legend volume 2,oh my goddess volume 2 and Tsubasa volume 4
and for anime my tales from earthsea dvd with the hmv exclusive sleeve came in the post today

Manga binging

Wild Adapter 4
Monster 13
Hayate The Combat Butler 6
Uzumaki 3
Platinum Garden 6
Love Mode 8
Love Pistols 4
Junjo Romatica 5
Ouran High School Host Club 10
Canon 4
Wild Ones 1
Hana Kimi 22

27548.jpg

Saw it in Suncoast, had to buy it, as it is, after all, Tsubasa related ;D (And also, Sakura is adorable, how could I no~t) :D

And a Naruto t-shirt for my brothers Birthday :)

Back