The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Finally after a week and a bits wait, Full Metal Panic! novel 2 and Kanon vol 1 DVD arrived in the mail at home today, so i should be reading/watching them by tomorrow.

Finaly! She: The Ultimate Weapon (Complete series and OVA) came from Play after ordering it on the 20th December. I ordered it last year! Well at least it got here eventually. ^___^

Just ordered the 2004 Appleseed movie from Play.com for €10. It seems to be something of a "required viewing" within the anime fandom, though I only realised that it was so acclaimed a short whole ago!

CitizenGeek said:
Just ordered the 2004 Appleseed movie from Play.com for €10. It seems to be something of a "required viewing" within the anime fandom, though I only realised that it was so acclaimed a short whole ago!
I didn't know it was acclaimed. Along with the ugly looking PS2-esque CGI I just found the story to be kind of boring and I lost interest after about half an hour (although I kept watching).

Sy said:
I didn't know it was acclaimed. Along with the ugly looking PS2-esque CGI I just found the story to be kind of boring and I lost interest after about half an hour (although I kept watching).

Well, many people seem to revere the movie. Honestly, I decided to buy it after I read Otaku USA's review (and interview with John Woo and Shinji Aramaki) on the new EX MACHINA movie, which I'll probably end up getting, too!

I'd see if you like this one first. I don't know how anyone can really say the CGI in the first movie was fantastic though. The methods used are ok in moderation and mixed in with traditional animation but standing alone it looks tacky. I seriously hope this isn't what anime fans have to look forward to.

Sy said:
I'd see if you like this one first. I don't know how anyone can really say the CGI in the first movie was fantastic though. The methods used are ok in moderation and mixed in with traditional animation but standing alone it looks tacky. I seriously hope this isn't what anime fans have to look forward to.

I'd have to agree, while i did like the movie, the CGI was kinda jarring. I couldn't sit back and enjoy the movie cos every so often my brain would just go "this is CGI". Watching something fully cgi or fully anime is fine but the mix was kinda off putting.

My latest buys were the entire 26 episode boxsets of
Heat Guy J
Tokyo Underground

Can't beat Sendit's sale, only £6.89 each.

I absolutely loved it. The CGI added something different to the table. The CGI really does something for the clarity of the picture, pure and bright colours. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait for the second movie!

melonpan said:
I absolutely loved it. The CGI added something different to the table. The CGI really does something for the clarity of the picture, pure and bright colours. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait for the second movie!

Phew! Some praise for the movie at last! :p I'm very much looking forward to it, anyway.

What's the first Appleseed movie like?

CitizenGeek said:
The old, "normal anime style" one that Manga Ent. released over here. Is it any good at all?

It's on a pile somewhere, not seen it yet though. My friend's seen it and didn't think it was too brilliant though - apparently it's very old looking - and of course that makes it really bad. *cough*

I've never seen the old manga version all the way though but I remember the picture quality of the DVD not being that impressive.

After radomly looking at CitizenGeek's profile, and seeing his wallpaper; I was facinated by the lovely art. When i saw it was shinkai, it came back to me that the Shinkai collection has been catching eye recently. Finding somemore awesome Shinkai wallpapers i, on a spur of the moment, ordered the Shinkai Collection DVD and Hoshi No Koe: The Voices of a Distant Star Manga. I can't wait!!

Oh yeh and i ordered Love Hina 12.

Today my stop in forbidden planet yeilded me:

Anime:

Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armour vol 4

Manga:

Lunar Legend Tsukihime vols 2,3,4 (imported from america)

Also my Shadow Skill vol 1+2 dvds were waiting for me when i woke up this morning.

Back