Summer 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

sniper_samurai said:
Buzz201 said:
I quite like Viewster's service. Sure it could do with improvements, but it's nice to see a company that cares about Europe and is willing to buy Europe and UK & Ireland exclusive shows, unlike a certain much large competitor.
Crunchyroll buy stuff exclusivly for Europe too. They have Ninja Slayer only in France for example.

I think they may be a bit hampered with UK and Ireland rights though due to how Funimation operate in buying all the English streaming rights, where available, then geo blocking everyone but the US. Even Canada gets geo blocked iirc.
I've yet to come across anything on CR UK that isn't also available in the US and Canada.

Nope. Canada can use FUNi's own site, Australia's Madman has a service they can use (AnimeLab). It's just us and Ireland who are in a perpetual state of "we're working on it", which I think is their default 'please stop harassing us' response.

I'm wondering if Manga UK might be opposed to streaming, because some of the comments FUNi have made make it sound like they're having to navigate around Manga UK, and Manga UK have most of the Toei titles that aren't on Crunchyroll (but then Toei's titles aren't available in the entirety of Europe, so it may not be that).

Buzz201 said:
sniper_samurai said:
Buzz201 said:
I quite like Viewster's service. Sure it could do with improvements, but it's nice to see a company that cares about Europe and is willing to buy Europe and UK & Ireland exclusive shows, unlike a certain much large competitor.
Crunchyroll buy stuff exclusivly for Europe too. They have Ninja Slayer only in France for example.

I think they may be a bit hampered with UK and Ireland rights though due to how Funimation operate in buying all the English streaming rights, where available, then geo blocking everyone but the US. Even Canada gets geo blocked iirc.

I've yet to come across anything on CR UK that isn't also available in the US and Canada.

I raise you Black Butler Book of Circus.

Buzz201 said:
may be a bit hampered with UK and Ireland rights though due to how Funimation operate in buying all the English streaming rights, where available, then geo blocking everyone but the US. Even Canada gets geo blocked iirc[/b].
I've yet to come across anything on CR UK that isn't also available in the US and Canada.[/quote]
There isn't anything. Some of the titles licensed by FUNi for the US, Canada, UK etc. are on Crunchyroll, but only for non-English majority regions.

Nope. Canada can use FUNi's own site, Australia's Madman has a service they can use (AnimeLab). It's just us and Ireland who are in a perpetual state of "we're working on it", which I think is their default 'please stop harassing us' response.
Previously most FUNimation streams were hosted by Hulu and thus unavailable in Canada. That changed a while back.

I'm wondering if Manga UK might be opposed to streaming, because some of the comments FUNi have made make it sound like they're having to navigate around Manga UK, and Manga UK have most of the Toei titles that aren't on Crunchyroll (but then Toei's titles aren't available in the entirety of Europe, so it may not be that).
Manga UK have only streamed something themselves once, FMA:B. They didn't ever finish it.
The main limiting factor for FUNimation streams has been the platform; Hulu is US-only and after the ONe Piece leak the FUNimation site has been US and CA only. Up to a point all the FUNimation uploads on YouTube were unlocked to the UK (where they had UK rights), although they did both stop regularly uploading full episodes and start locking across the board at one point.
Toei doesn't (or rarely) includes any European countries with their US contracts (e.g. Madman has sub-licensed DBZ from FUNimation, but Manga had to go direct to Toei).

--edit--

This is what happens when I take multiple calls while writing a reply...

st_owly said:
I raise you Black Butler Book of Circus.
I stand corrected, there is one exception then. Region list:

Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Norfolk Island, Heard Island and McDonald Islands,

To be fair to FUNimation, it's not like they're completely opposed to streaming stuff in the UK. This last Winter they had Yatterman Night, Death Parade and The Rolling Girls simulcast on Viewster.

I'm guessing it either didn't do too well for them, or there wasn't anything Viewster were interested in for Spring, because there hasn't been any FUNi titles since, except Seraph and Arslan (both from Anime Ltd. in the UK), and Ninja Slayer and Ultimate Otaku Teacher (neither of which has the FUNi logo, so probably didn't come from FUNimation either).

I'm hearing good things about Blood Blockade Battlefront and Assassination Classroom, so it would be nice if somebody could pick up those from streaming, but both being FUNi, it probably won't happen.

Buzz201 said:
To be fair to FUNimation, it's not like they're completely opposed to streaming stuff in the UK. This last Winter they had Yatterman Night, Death Parade and The Rolling Girls simulcast on Viewster.
I wasn't aware those were via FUNimation (I haven't got around to watching any of them so don't know much about them). The only other simulcasts on a UK service that I know came from FUNimation were the ones on Animax that one season (Selected Infected Wixoss and Noragami etc.). I refuse to give them major props for that since we didn't ever get Selected Spread Wixoss.

I'm guessing it either didn't do too well for them, or there wasn't anything Viewster were interested in for Spring, because there hasn't been any FUNi titles since, except Seraph and Arslan (both from Anime Ltd. in the UK), and Ninja Slayer and Ultimate Otaku Teacher (neither of which has the FUNi logo, so probably didn't come from FUNimation either).
The FUNimation logo on the video doesn't necessarily mean anything - Manga's streams of FMA:B had the FUNi logo on despite them having licensed the show from Aniplex since they were using FUNi's digital materials.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:
I wasn't aware those were via FUNimation (I haven't got around to watching any of them so don't know much about them). The only other simulcasts on a UK service that I know came from FUNimation were the ones on Animax that one season (Selected Infected Wixoss and Noragami etc.). I refuse to give them major props for that since we didn't ever get Selected Spread Wixoss.
Attack on Titan was licensed to Crunchyroll through FUNimation, though somewhat oddly used wildly different translations.

Shiroi Hane said:
The FUNimation logo on the video doesn't necessarily mean anything - Manga's streams of FMA:B had the FUNi logo on despite them having licensed the show from Aniplex since they were using FUNi's digital materials.

I'd be surprised if Viewster were using FUNi elements without having done a deal with them. Anyway for Death Parade, Yatterman Night and Rolling Girls, I believe it was explicitly confirmed that they had done a deal with FUNimation. Attack on Titan didn't have the FUNimation logo on CR, so maybe Ninja Slayer and UOT did come from FUNi, but don't have the logo.

TL;DR - Basically we know nothing, especially me.

Buzz201 said:
Attack on Titan was licensed to Crunchyroll through FUNimation, though somewhat oddly used wildly different translations.

[...]

Attack on Titan didn't have the FUNimation logo on CR, so maybe Ninja Slayer and UOT did come from FUNi, but don't have the logo.
In terms of subtitles, there have been other non-exclusive simulcasts which have had completely different subtitles (e.g. Sora no Otoshimono Forte) because FUNimation always do their own. Attack on Titan is like Asobi ni Ikuyo (aka Cat Planet Cuties aka Bombshells from the Sky) in that Crunchyroll originally licensed it from Kodansha and have worked out something to keep it up. In the case of Asobi ni Ikuyo they've only kept two episodes in FUNimation's regions, but for Attack on Titan they removed it temporarily while the discs were coming out.

Shiroi Hane said:
Buzz201 said:

[...]

Attack on Titan didn't have the FUNimation logo on CR, so maybe Ninja Slayer and UOT did come from FUNi, but don't have the logo.
In terms of subtitles, there have been other non-exclusive simulcasts which have had completely different subtitles (e.g. Sora no Otoshimono Forte) because FUNimation always do their own. Attack on Titan is like Asobi ni Ikuyo (aka Cat Planet Cuties aka Bombshells from the Sky) in that Crunchyroll originally licensed it from Kodansha and have worked out something to keep it up. In the case of Asobi ni Ikuyo they've only kept two episodes in FUNimation's regions, but for Attack on Titan they removed it temporarily while the discs were coming out.
Tokyo Ghoul was like that too. The subtitles on the UK stream were littered with British curse words.

sniper_samurai said:
Tokyo Ghoul was like that too. The subtitles on the UK stream were littered with British curse words.
FUNimation don't have UK rights, Anime Ltd. do, and they didn't sub-licence it from FUNi, so they probably commissioned their own translation.

Shiroi Hane said:

Not that I'm accusing you of being a liar, but if it happened like that, isn't that a HUGE breach of contract, to sell the rights to one company, and then sell the rights to somebody else, in such a manner that forces the first company to renegotiate? Also, why would Kodansha only sell them rights for the USA, Canada, UK & Ireland - seems like an oddly specific and somewhat illogical group of territories if FUNimation weren't involved beforehand? I'm probably wrong, but it looks to me like CR mislisted the publisher and corrected it later on.

EDIT: That's me being really really stupid, having thought about it, what you presumably meant is that the simulcast rights were handled by Kodansha, and they subsequently did a deal with FUNi keep it in the catalogue section of their site.

I should probably engage my brain before posting in future..

BLOCKED [SIMULCAST]:

GANGSTA.
Site: Crunchyroll
GANGSTA. Crunchyroll will be available in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, New Caledonia and Quebec.

Crunchyroll have some European rights and not the English ones so it's best to assume Funimation have them.

That sucks, it was my most-anticipated show. Someone else had better come through with those missing UK rights before the end of the season (at least I'm spoiler-proof since I'm reading the manga).

R

sniper_samurai said:
Buzz201 said:
FUNimation don't have UK rights, Anime Ltd. do, and they didn't sub-licence it from FUNi, so they probably commissioned their own translation.
The UK subs were done by Exedore. The discs will use FUNi's subs.
OTOH, I've been wondering... do US copies of FFXIV also have all the UK slang in the subs?

Shiroi Hane said:
OTOH, I've been wondering... do US copies of FFXIV also have all the UK slang in the subs?

They like it for 'flavour' in XIV (though I find some of the text beyond unintelligible...) and also seem to pull outdated terms and slang from other languages in where possible. All of the English-language versions are identical aside from the activation keys, or they were when I used the JP client with my old JP account and switched the language. I can say with 100% certainty that there was only one English version of the client for FFXI too and it had similar region-specific dialogue at times, since my group had a mix of UK and US players.

R

Shiroi Hane said:
The UK subs were done by Exedore. The discs will use FUNi's subs.
He appears to also be doing Ninja Slayer for Viewster. "Remember, if you aren't watching NINJA Slayer on @viewster, you aren't watching the true NINJA Slayer." Assuming they're using the same translation for us as they did for the random assortment of countries they brought earlier in the year...

sniper_samurai said:
Viewster are addin Blood Blockade Battlefront shortly

Viewster said:
UK/IE + Scandi - Announcement: We are soon adding 'Blood Blockade Battlefront' to our collection! More details soon. http://t.co/gY8nX9P4ws

I noticed Viewster added @AllTheAnime to one of the responses. I guess we know who to thank! :wink:

Viewster will also be announcing their July line-up fairly soon.

Back