Summer 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

There's going to be a Charlotte special airing on June 20th. It's possible that it might receive an early simulcast pickup by Crunchyroll*.

*Although it's animated by P.A.Works, Aniplex of Japan have listed the title on its website as part of the catalogue so I would expect Aniplex of America to license the title and add it to Crunchyroll, Daisuki etc.

I also expect Aniplex of America to also license Classroom Crisis, Gate and Rampo Kitan. NIS America may be able to pickup Working!!! while Bandai Namco should have God Eater and The iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 2nd Season. But I won't be surprised if something different happens.

NormanicGrav said:
BLOCKED [CATALOG!]:

Lupin the Third Part 2 - Episodes 01-79

I can understand why you'd think Discotek would have a hand in it, but I think Hulu have had most of Lupin for quite a while now. It's annoying nevertheless. Part III is the one I really want, if anyone with rights-acquiring powers is listening.

Professor Irony said:
NormanicGrav said:
BLOCKED [CATALOG!]:

Lupin the Third Part 2 - Episodes 01-79

I can understand why you'd think Discotek would have a hand in it, but I think Hulu have had most of Lupin for quite a while now. It's annoying nevertheless. Part III is the one I really want, if anyone with rights-acquiring powers is listening.

Yeah, I realised after posting that TMS had released a bunch of Lupin onto Hulu including the Lupin vs Detective Conan stuff (which thankfully Discotek now have).

Buzz201 said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Man, if they got Samurai Pizza Cats on CR and it's locked that would make me a sad panda.
I worked it out the other day, we pay very slightly more than the Americans for CR, and get a fair amount less than the Americans on the service and I'm guessing that situation is worse in the rest of Europe.

Would be nice if Viewster gave them a boot up the ****, and made them start paying attention to Europe, but that probably won't happen.

We pay less than the US for Crunchyroll in the Eurozone at €5 a month or €40 for the year. In Ireland we get the same content as the UK, unless using a work around on the geo lock to get the US content.

I know, like Netflix this is against the Ts & Cs and as such I will not be discussing how to do so.

Viewster seems to be suggesting they already have some new simulcasts in the bag. From their twitter: "Are you ready for more simulcasts? We are too."

This is now majorly OT...
sniper_samurai said:
We pay less than the US for Crunchyroll in the Eurozone at €5 a month or €40 for the year. In Ireland we get the same content as the UK, unless using a work around on the geo lock to get the US content.

I know, like Netflix this is against the Ts & Cs and as such I will not be discussing how to do so.

In the UK it's £4.99, which works out to $7.78. The Americans get charged $6.95 for the equivalent. It's only 50p more, and I don't think it's intentional but given we're obviously not a priority for them, it's still a bit of a kick in the teeth.

I think the manner in which they've promoted One Piece HD has pissed many of their European users off, the thread in their forum is now mostly Europeans foolishly asking when we'll get One Piece (probably never), or Americans asking why the HD version is cropped, and some people feel misled that they apparently included it in emails and at one point yesterday, I'm fairly certain I saw it on their front page image scroller. I don't go on their forum much, so maybe all their region locked titles are like that, but nobody seems impressed...

Buzz201 said:
Viewster seems to be suggesting they already have some new simulcasts in the bag. From their twitter: "Are you ready for more simulcasts? We are too."

They say that every week, it generally refers to Heroic Legend of Arslan, Plastic Memories and Seraph of the End.

NormanicGrav said:
Buzz201 said:

They say that every week, it generally refers to Heroic Legend of Arslan, Plastic Memories and Seraph of the End.
Fair enough, they're wording that one a little bit weirdly, especially since they delayed half their simulcasts yesterday due to problems with the assets...

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:
Buzz201 said:

Fair enough, they're wording that one a little bit weirdly, especially since they delayed half their simulcasts yesterday due to problems with the assets...

I can agree they do confuse people sometimes. At least they add new shows every now and then (still keeping an eye on what they added since they generally don't announce it instantly).

sniper_samurai said:
I wonder if we will ever see old shows like Getter Robo or Project A-Ko available to stream? I hear that Free! was simulcast on Crunchyroll, although it's not really my cup of tea, I prefer Ergo Proxy.

ayase said:
sniper_samurai said:
I wonder if we will ever see old shows like Getter Robo or Project A-Ko available to stream? I hear that Free! was simulcast on Crunchyroll, although it's not really my cup of tea, I prefer Ergo Proxy.
I hope so. I keep recommending them to my Cuban friend after greeting him with hello in Spanish and complaining about how annoying assembling my Master Grade Phenix is due to the gold chrome finish.

sniper_samurai said:
ayase said:
sniper_samurai said:
I hope so. I keep recommending them to my Cuban friend after greeting him with hello in Spanish and complaining about how annoying assembling my Master Grade Phenix is due to the gold chrome finish.

You lost me on that one.

BLOCKED [CATALOG!]:

Fate/Zero - English Dub Version
Site: Crunchyroll

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - English Dub Version

Sword Art Online - English Dub Version

^
Aniplex dubs are restricted to US and Canada. The main shows (minus Puella Magi Madoka Magica) are available in subtitle form.

NEW ADDITIONS [CATALOG!/LATE-SIMULCAST]:

Baby Steps! (Season 1) - Episodes 01-25
Site: Viewster

Medaka Box (Seasons 1 & 2: Abnormal) - Episodes 01-24

NINJA SLAYER FROM ANIMATION - Episodes 01-10+

Reborn! (Season 5) - Episodes 102-140

Ultimate Otaku Teacher - Episodes 01-11+

I somewhat knew we would have some of these appearing eventually. It seems to be a trend for Viewster titles that start off as European only then suddenly end up being made available for the UK - in other words it's possible that we might expect to see Mikagura School Suite (Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku) to appear at some point for the UK from Viewster.

It's good to see Viewster getting more stuff, but I still have a few real problems with their service - it's frustrating to have to sit through the ads (I'd pay to stop them), and they also screw with the horizontal/vertical alignment if you're watching on a tablet.

Lutga said:
It's good to see Viewster getting more stuff, but I still have a few real problems with their service - it's frustrating to have to sit through the ads (I'd pay to stop them), and they also screw with the horizontal/vertical alignment if you're watching on a tablet.
No ads if you are using the Xbox 360 app, but it takes far too many steps to get to the episode you want on it.

I quite like Viewster's service. Sure it could do with improvements, but it's nice to see a company that cares about Europe and is willing to buy Europe and UK & Ireland exclusive shows, unlike a certain much large competitor.

Buzz201 said:
I quite like Viewster's service. Sure it could do with improvements, but it's nice to see a company that cares about Europe and is willing to buy Europe and UK & Ireland exclusive shows, unlike a certain much large competitor.
Crunchyroll buy stuff exclusivly for Europe too. They have Ninja Slayer only in France for example.

I think they may be a bit hampered with UK and Ireland rights though due to how Funimation operate in buying all the English streaming rights, where available, then geo blocking everyone but the US. Even Canada gets geo blocked iirc.

Back