Summer 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

Lutga said:
I wonder how many series Funimation will completely lock out of the UK again this coming season?

My advice is politely keep harassing them on social media, they'll get the message eventually. (Don't be rude or too pushy though, because that's not nice).

But I still don't get why they haven't just sold the UK portion of their streaming rights to Viewster or Crunchyroll, as they have done with some of their past titles. Let's face it Viewster aren't exactly being selective with what they buy, and they do seem to actually give a crap about the UK market, which is weird.

ConanThe3rd said:
How many breads have you eaten in your life?
How are we measuring? Types of bread? Slices, loafs and/or buns? A specific measurement? Am I overthinking it?

I'm sure I read that Funimation had said they were looking into streaming things over here but it doesn't seem like anything has come of it. I guess it could take some work to set everything up but I would think it'd mostly be a one off restructure. The only other issue would be making sure they have the rights to stream to different territories but I'd imagine that is often included in their licenses anyway (especially since shows they have are usually seemingly unavailable to Crunchyroll and such).

I do find it odd that Funimation don't make more of an effort to reach international fans. I'm not sure why they don't make every release at least Region B compatible (except if the rights prevent it) and let Crunchyroll stream their shows to the areas Funimation's site doesn't cover at a reasonable cost so that they can encourage imports. It does seem like one of those "don't they like money?" situations but I guess there could be other issues at work (it's not like I've researched it thoroughly or anything).

Weren't Daisuke making noises about getting more involved in the West too?

I imagine with the Funimation issue, it's perhaps a question of 'We want to get involved in this market, but not quite yet... - in the mean time, why should we give a competitor more ammo to build their presence?'

Or maybe they just pick up the UK rights as part of a bulk deal and just CBA to sort out sub-licenses.

Lutga said:
Weren't Daisuke making noises about getting more involved in the West too?

I imagine with the Funimation issue, it's perhaps a question of 'We want to get involved in this market, but not quite yet... - in the mean time, why should we give a competitor more ammo to build their presence?'

Or maybe they just pick up the UK rights as part of a bulk deal and just CBA to sort out sub-licenses.

I believe FUNimation buy English-language rights to their titles where possible, which include the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and potentially South Africa. Although, this doesn't explain how Anime Limited and Animatsu have ended up with FUNimation titles recently (and in Anime Ltd.'s case, quite high profile shows too).

So this season seemed dead to me originally, but Gangsta, Aquarion, dragonball(i'm curious!) and prison school all seem tempting to check out. Maybe i will have series to watch this season after all that stop me catching up on backlog properly D=

This season I think I've decided I'm going to pick up God Eater (Finished Fate/Zero recently and was blown away by the animation, so I'm looking forward to see what else Ufotable can do), Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (Concept sounds interesting) and Non Non Byori S2 (Will be finished with S1 soon). Also tempted to pick up Gangsta, I'll see what the reaction to the first few episodes are first.

NormanicGrav said:
Looks like Funimation done goofed on their YouTube channel. You can watch Episode 07 of Show by Rock!! on there.
Can you pull a title in only certain regions or has it been taken down completely now?
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by TOKYO METROPOLITAN TELEVISON BROADCASTING CORPORATION.

Buzz201 said:
I believe FUNimation buy English-language rights to their titles where possible, which include the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and potentially South Africa. Although, this doesn't explain how Anime Limited and Animatsu have ended up with FUNimation titles recently (and in Anime Ltd.'s case, quite high profile shows too).
It depends entirely on the title and the committee. If anyone other than Manga has it in the UK (with a couple of rare exceptions), then FUNimation doesn't have UK rights to begin with since they deal exclusively with Manga.

Shiroi Hane said:
It depends entirely on the title and the committee. If anyone other than Manga has it in the UK (with a couple of rare exceptions), then FUNimation doesn't have UK rights to begin with since they deal exclusively with Manga.

I didn't word that very well. What I meant was, assuming FUNimation wants English-language rights to all of the titles they buy, it's weird that two recent British upstarts have been able to outbid them, especially on high profile shows like Space Dandy and Seraph of the End - Vampire Reign.

It's not always about bidding. Some companies will only provide local rights; Gonzo for example always kept UK and US rights separate, and then there's Toei...

NEW ADDITIONS [CATALOG!]:

Reborn! (Katekyō Hitman Reborn!) {Season 3} - Episodes 66-73
Site: Viewster

Reborn! (Katekyō Hitman Reborn!) {Season 4} - Episodes 74-101
Site: Viewster

Tesagure! (Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono) {Season 1} - Episodes 01-12
Site: Crunchyroll

Note that even though the summer season technically hasn't begun I'll be including this month's catalogue titles on this thread.

BLOCKED [CATALOG!]:

Blue Submarine No. 6 [Ao no Roku-gō] - OVA Episodes 01-04

DNA^2 - Episodes 01-12

BLOCKED [CATALOG!]:

Lupin the Third Part 2 - Episodes 01-79

^
Probably due to Discotek's involvement (though they don't have Part 2 as far as I'm aware, they probably have the rights secretly). A lot of the catalogue titles have come from Discotek recently (Blue Submarine No.6, DNA^2, Golden Boy).

ConanThe3rd said:
Man, if they got Samurai Pizza Cats on CR and it's locked that would make me a sad panda.
I worked it out the other day, we pay very slightly more than the Americans for CR, and get a fair amount less than the Americans on the service and I'm guessing that situation is worse in the rest of Europe.

Would be nice if Viewster gave them a boot up the ****, and made them start paying attention to Europe, but that probably won't happen.

Back