Summer 2015 Legal Anime Streaming Thread

Rui said:
The BBB thing is frustrating. If it slips into next season I'll just skip it and wait for the BD release; I already feel interested enough to buy it anyway.

R

The finale of the show has slipped into next season anyway. Production issues meant a recap was added in between the 10th and 11th episodes, pushing the finale back a week. Japan's airing a live music event this weekend, so the finale has been pushed another week until next week, at which point it clashes with Durarara!!x2's return on Tokyo MX, so has been pushed back a day or two after that. General feeling is optimistic with regards to the season finale though, with some speculating the delay might have been caused by a last minute rewrite to allow for another season.

I was hoping Viewster would rush to get BBB up so they could simulcast the finale, but that doesn't appear to be their intention.

black1blade said:
It means they can make the animation amazing!

Bones apparently had 6 of 12 episodes in the can before BBB even started broadcasting, which is apparently unheard of and would probably mean spectacular production difficulties for them to have to delay an episode. I think that's where the speculation about them having rewritten the two part finale late in the day comes from.

There's about 12 tentative shows for me, but I have to say Rokka seems like the highlight so far for me.
It's about damned time we got a true fantasy show and I will be severely disappointed if Anime Limited do not license it. :)

This is probably not the right place to ask but I was bored so I started to watch Buddy Complex on Daisuki's YouTube channel. They've clearly been given a copy by FUNimation to use and the end result is not good. For a start, they've attempted to cut the FUNi logo from the beginning and failed, the video also breaks up during parts of the episode, and the anorak in me can't handle it.

Are all of Daisuki's attempts at streaming shows this crap? I was looking forward to God Eater, perhaps not anymore.

Buzz201 said:
Are all of Daisuki's attempts at streaming shows this crap? I was looking forward to God Eater, perhaps not anymore.

I've streamed Kuroko's Basketball Season 3 on their website without any issues especially in 1080p. Perhaps it's just the YouTube versions taking the issue.

BLOCKED [SIMULCAST]:

defa07a568f9d43b9eb0291693edee2f1435351334_full.jpg

Actually, I Am (Jitsu wa Watashi wa)
Site: Crunchyroll
The series will be available to Crunchyroll members in the following territories: USA, Canada, America, Central America including the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

TMS folks, TMS.

Guys, brace yourselves. Funimation will be simulcasting 19 titles from the Summer 2015 season.

FUNimation-Simulcast-Summer-2015.jpg

My predictions:
- Aoharu x Kikanjuu
- Aquarion Logos
- Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki
- Dragon Ball Super (Dragon Ball Chou)
- Gakkou Gurashi!
- GANGSTA.
- Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There (Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri)
- Hetalia: The World Twinkle
- Monster Musume/Everyday Life with Monster Girls (Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou)
- Overlord
- Prison School (Kangoku Gakuen)
- Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace
- Snow White with the Red Hair (Akagami no Shirayuki-hime)

Leftovers: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, Fairy Tail 2014, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Ninja Slayer From Animation, One Piece, Ultimate Otaku Teacher

I'm sure Americans are thrilled to find that 19 shows will be behind the Funi paywall this season. I'm just mad that it means 19 shows with completely screwed contrast and crushed blacks since Funi still cocks that up completely after all these years.
I do have to wonder if they can handle this type of workload though since the quality of their subs took a nosedive last season.

Mangaranga said:
I'm sure Americans are thrilled to find that 19 shows will be behind the Funi paywall this season. I'm just mad that it means 19 shows with completely screwed contrast and crushed blacks since Funi still cocks that up completely after all these years.
I do have to wonder if they can handle this type of workload though since the quality of their subs took a nosedive last season.

Not only that, but 19 shows we probably won't get, or will get at the very end of the season far too late to actually watch without disrupting next season...

Crunchyroll will be streaming the live-action Death Note drama. starting on July 8 at 7:30pm Pacific Time. The series will be avaible in the following territories:

USA (and Canada, Central and South America (including the Carribean), UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, the Netherlands, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Europe (except for Italian speaking territories), the Middle East, and North Africa.

Welp 13 titles have been announced by Funimation and my god is it stuff I was really hyped about, sigh.
Although interesting thing from Viewster. After a few tweets over on twitter they've confirmed that this season is gonna be their best UK season yet and also hinting Anime Limited have a role in this. We still have hope!

Scottzor said:
Welp 13 titles have been announced by Funimation and my god is it stuff I was really hyped about, sigh.
Although interesting thing from Viewster. After a few tweets over on twitter they've confirmed that this season is gonna be their best UK season yet and also hinting Anime Limited have a role in this. We still have hope!
You haven't started working under the assumption that all the big and exciting titles will go to FUNimation?

But there is this tweet from Viewster, which seems to explicitly state Viewster has some FUNi shows this season...

@PurposeDevoid @Kami_nomi our Funi/UK titles have yet to be released. Should be in the next few days for this season
https://twitter.com/viewster/status/615658373778927616

Again, kind of frustrating. I'm a big believer in what Viewster is doing, but essentially every show that they/Funi get that Crunchyroll don't weakens the value of the CR subscription I'm paying for. And I'd argue as well, that until Viewster's player/service is on par with Crunchyroll too, then it's hard to fully get behind them.

Yup, I wish Crunchyroll would just stream /everything/. I don't want to pay subscriptions for x many different sites all doing the same thing. At least Viewster are trying to go after the Funi shows though, rather than doing a Khazi/Shittymax and cockblocking Crunchyroll. *coughNisekoicough*

I think you guys are putting far too much faith in Crunchyroll, it comes across to me like CR only really cares about North America, and unless it's a exceptional deal they won't buy a series if they can't have at least some North American rights.

I get the impression international rights are the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae that is North American rights for them, and consequently they can't be arsed to aggressively pursue the lone cherry.

I can't begrudge Crunchyroll when they seem to want 'worldwide outside Japan' rights for everything and it's mainly corporate red tape standing in their way. If licensors won't give them UK rights - or demand more for those rights than Crunchyroll is making from its entire UK userbase combined - then we can't have them.

And anyway, FUNi grabs the UK rights wherever they can so even if Crunchyroll wanted UK-only streams, they'd need to negotiate with a company which views them as a direct competitor in order to get those rights. The real problem is the way US companies are allowed to take UK rights in the first place. I don't think any of the streaming companies deserve to have monopolies over specific titles. Put everything everywhere, and let the best services win.

At least Viewster and Anime Limited are actively involved in advocating for UK streams now (even though they tend to involve delays and incredibly irritating ad placement). If things were left to Manga UK we would have nothing other than the leftovers Crunchyroll manages to prise from FUNimation's iron grip.

R

Rui said:
I can't begrudge Crunchyroll when they seem to want 'worldwide outside Japan' rights for everything and it's mainly corporate red tape standing in their way. If licensors won't give them UK rights - or demand more for those rights than Crunchyroll is making from its entire UK userbase combined - then we can't have them.

And anyway, FUNi grabs the UK rights wherever they can so even if Crunchyroll wanted UK-only streams, they'd need to negotiate with a company which views them as a direct competitor in order to get those rights. The real problem is the way US companies are allowed to take UK rights in the first place. I don't think any of the streaming companies deserve to have monopolies over specific titles. Put everything everywhere, and let the best services win.

At least Viewster and Anime Limited are actively involved in advocating for UK streams now (even though they tend to involve delays and incredibly irritating ad placement). If things were left to Manga UK we would have nothing other than the leftovers Crunchyroll manages to prise from FUNimation's iron grip.

R
I think wanting everything is the problem, the fact that CR will bid for everything probably means they can't afford to pay the most money, hence why FUNimation continuously get all the big titles and Crunchyroll are left with stuff FUNimation doesn't want and/or can't have. Fortunately for CR, FUNi has let a fair amount of good titles and arguable sleeper hits slip through their fingers.

Viewster is a direct competitor, they operate in the US, they're just smart enough not to ask for US rights.

It could be argued Anime Ltd. are doing exactly what FUNimation does when they acquire package rights for several European countries. I suppose the major difference is that Anime Ltd. have negotiated streaming deals for as many territories as possible right off the bat, instead of having to be pestered into it.

I don't think Crunchyroll actually mind their direct competitors anywhere close to as much as FUNi do. For Crunchyroll, having non-exclusive rights to stream absolutely everything is probably fine - the US is a big slice of the pie but they want to be the one-stop streaming solution and take over the whole world one day. However, FUNi want to control their brands, and they aren't happy letting all of that streaming revenue drift away. Some of the comments I've heard from FUNi in the past definitely make them sound more paranoid than the rest. I'm sure Viewster's current Europe-focused approach makes them more appealing as a partner for that reason.

I'm gutted as FUNi has picked up almost every single title I was looking forward to and as much as I like what Viewster is doing, this means at best a whole season of delaycasts with terrible ads randomly placed during pivotal scenes. Sigh.

R

Back