Studio Ghibli to form part of Film4's Christmas line-up

TheLasersharkKH said:
alexrose1uk said:
Yep, Sky Guide has been saying the same thing when I've been remotely setting them up to recording.
Hopefully the subbing is good, but was pleasantly surprised at the number of subbed movies rather than dubbed they're doing.

Looking at a copy of TV Times now and Everything apart from Both Showings of Ponyo will be in Japanese with English Subtitles by the look of it.
(From the 17th onwards!)

Me Wrong Again, Saturday 10th Ponyo will be Japanese with English Sutitles, Christmas Day will Have English Dub Ponyo.

Well, Film4 is in the background whilst I'm here at work suffering through Singing in the Rain to hear the charming tones of Ponyo :p

It's not my favourite Ghibli by a long shot, but its still way better than most other things I could put on in the background...

Currently watching Princess Mononoke. I doubt I'll watch many of the films Monday - Friday as I will miss around half the film before I get home from work (I usually get in around 5.30 and I don't usually turn the TV on until around 5.45).

Also watching Mononoke. It's possible that I'll be able to watch all of them except WEdnesday's one because I'm usually at my Japanese course around that time.

A post on the Digital Fix forums suggests that Film4 have not renewed their Ghibli licence, and that this is the last time that these films will be shown by them.

There's no corroboration or anything, it's just a passing comment...

They said this is the last time they will show them due to licensing

Anyone heard anything similar?

ilmaestro said:
Genkina Hito said:
Well this is the third time that I've watched Tales From Earthsea. It's not as bad as people make out.
But... but... is it worse?

Not as bad. It's like the Goro was aiming for the anime equivalent of slow cinema but it backfires because Earthsea lacks a coherent plot and decent character development (boy, does it labour its points!) which may leave a person bored and confused.

I haven't read the original books but you can tell that the adaptation was a botched job - it felt like there was a lot left out and what was left in was a strange mix that needed to be explained better. The opening felt totally disconnected from the rest of the film and there are many ponderous sequences.

That said, there are moments of beauty and some of the pastoral scenes have a strange quality to it where the ponderousness turn meditative and serene.

It's definitely the worst Ghibli film ever made and it lacks the magic of the other Ghibli films but the vehemence of some of the detractors is a bit much.

Genkina Hito said:
ilmaestro said:
Genkina Hito said:
Well this is the third time that I've watched Tales From Earthsea. It's not as bad as people make out.

Not as bad. It's like the Goro was aiming for the anime equivalent of slow cinema but it backfires because Earthsea lacks a coherent plot and decent character development (boy, does it labour its points!) which may leave a person bored and confused.

I haven't read the original books but you can tell that the adaptation was a botched job - it felt like there was a lot left out and what was left in was a strange mix that needed to be explained better. The opening felt totally disconnected from the rest of the film and there are many ponderous sequences.

That said, there are moments of beauty and some of the pastoral scenes have a strange quality to it where the ponderousness turn meditative and serene.

It's definitely the worst Ghibli film ever made and it lacks the magic of the other Ghibli films but the vehemence of some of the detractors is a bit much.

Is that fact or just your opinion as judging by the lists on this site other people disagree (Only Yesterday, Pom Poko and Little Norse Prince were among the other films people on this site listed as being their worst Ghibli film).

For what it's worth, as a casual Ghibli viewer (i.e. I don't actually like Ghibli for the sake of them being Ghibli, unlike a lot of people here) I found Earthsea one of the better efforts. It had a completely different feel to the usual cute fantasies they put out. It wasn't one of my absolute favourite films overall, but I enjoyed watching it more than things like Porco Rosso and Ponyo, which never seem to charm me no matter how whimsical and lovingly made they are. I'd rewatch Earthsea long before I'll sit down and give Nausicaa another viewing.

(I haven't read the Earthsea books and don't plan to, so any failure to capture the spirit of them was irrelevant to me.)

R

Just Passing Through said:
A post on the Digital Fix forums suggests that Film4 have not renewed their Ghibli licence, and that this is the last time that these films will be shown by them.

There's no corroboration or anything, it's just a passing comment...

They said this is the last time they will show them due to licensing

Anyone heard anything similar?

Sad if true, I've never particularly seen them advertised on Film4 before, although I'm led to believe they have played them before.

Film4 regularly play Ghibli films and I always try to watch them. Perhaps this is a farewell tour...

Oh yeah, watching Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro.

Genkina Hito said:
Film4 regularly play Ghibli films and I always try to watch them. Perhaps this is a farewell tour...

I doubt it. Chances are that they will play them later in 2012, and will probably show Arrietty in 2012 as well.

I'm going to watch Cagliostro tonight as well.

mangaman74 said:
Genkina Hito said:
ilmaestro said:
Genkina Hito said:

Is that fact or just your opinion as judging by the lists on this site other people disagree (Only Yesterday, Pom Poko and Little Norse Prince were among the other films people on this site listed as being their worst Ghibli film).

Sorry, I should have made clear that that is a purely a subjective opinion. I've watched every Ghibli film (four in a cinema) apart from Ocean Waves, From Up On Poppy Hill and the Totoro shorts. I'm on record in other threads stating that I'm a fan of the whimsical style of Miyazaki. As far as Earthsea goes... I didn't feel anything for it for the most part and that's a bad sign considering every Ghibli film has moved me in some way and I can find things to wax lyrical about. As for the films mentioned:

I dislike Pom Poko almost as much as Earthsea but it was breezy and humorous at times and did have some worthwhile themes to explore,

Little Norse Prince gets away from any harsh criticism what with it being one of Isao Takahata's earliest works.

I thought I'd dislike Only Yesterday based on reading the synopsis then I watched it earlier this year for the first time and respected it a lot... Again it had worthwhile themes and communicated a humanity you rarely see in film. Takahata's progression as a director was evident.

Ian Wolf said:
Genkina Hito said:

I doubt it. Chances are that they will play them later in 2012, and will probably show Arrietty in 2012 as well.

I'm going to watch Cagliostro tonight as well.

Film 4 actually tweeted this themselves, they are only retaining the rights to Earthsea and Ponyo into 2012. Arrietty wouldn't be shown by them in 2012 (too soon after its home media release), more likely in 2013, but that's doubtful now with the lapse of their licence

Back