Studio Ghibli to form part of Film4's Christmas line-up

Rob F1UK said:
Ian Wolf said:
Genkina Hito said:
Film4 regularly play Ghibli films and I always try to watch them. Perhaps this is a farewell tour...

I doubt it. Chances are that they will play them later in 2012, and will probably show Arrietty in 2012 as well.

I'm going to watch Cagliostro tonight as well.

Film 4 actually tweeted this themselves, they are only retaining the rights to Earthsea and Ponyo into 2012. Arrietty wouldn't be shown by them in 2012 (too soon after its home media release), more likely in 2013, but that's doubtful now with the lapse of their licence

I didn't see that tweet (don't follow Film4). Shame about that. Mind you, seeing as how the BBC show "Spirited Away", it could be possible they could buy the rights.

Genkina Hito said:
It's definitely the worst Ghibli film ever made and it lacks the magic of the other Ghibli films but the vehemence of some of the detractors is a bit much.
In that respect, I see where you're coming from.

Rui said:
(i.e. I don't actually like Ghibli for the sake of them being Ghibli, unlike a lot of people here)
I don't know if you intended that to sound as it does, but it reads as a pretty dismissive insult to a variety of people.

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
(i.e. I don't actually like Ghibli for the sake of them being Ghibli, unlike a lot of people here)
I don't know if you intended that to sound as it does, but it reads as a pretty dismissive insult to a variety of people.

Then I apologise; all I meant by it was that people who are devotedly into Ghibli are going to have certain expectations of each new Ghibli film, which is reasonable enough. I'd like to be able to enjoy them as much too, but I seem to have a heart of stone when it comes to the earnest fantasies which make up the bulk of Studio Ghibli's output.

I was that way about Kon films, though.

R

I've been recording the films I haven't seen. So far it's been a bit disappointing.

Little Norse prince hasn't aged well, and tales from earthsea was terrible.

Hopefully tomorrow "Only yesterday" and "Whispers of the heart" will give some of that Ghibli magic (if I get around to watching them)

Back