Studio Ghibli to form part of Film4's Christmas line-up

vashdaman said:
I'm glad their showing Little Norse prince as that's maybe the only Ghibli film I know nothing about. Does anyone know if it's any good?
Little Norse Prince is a classic movie,while not a Ghibli movie it was Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata,s major directing debut feature film and was released way back in 1968,its a classic little adventure that has aged quiet well,Hols sets out on a journey to avenge his family heritege and village which was devastated by a evil sorcerer,its action packed and charming,everything you would accpet from the golden age of Toei Animation,Hayao Miyazaki among other anime giants also worked on the film and helped with the animation,it really is a whos who of future anime giants that worked on this classic,so it is worth seeing even just for historical reasons,a total classic.

vashdaman said:
I'm glad their showing Little Norse prince as that's maybe the only Ghibli film I know nothing about. Does anyone know if it's any good?

As Doraemon666 wrote, it's a classic in the history of anime.
But I don't agree about the quality, I found it pretty average. The story is a sort of a dark tale, it recalls a lot the tales by the Grimm brothers or Andersen. I'm not a fan of that style, and in my opinion the quality is quite lower than the one of those classic authors.

Teo

alexrose1uk said:
I'm not sure whether to be concerned, confused or somewhat humoured.

I'm not sure about concerned. After all it is a British novel so it seems only logical for the British to make an adaptation of it as well.

Ian Wolf said:
alexrose1uk said:
I'm not sure whether to be concerned, confused or somewhat humoured.

I'm not sure about concerned. After all it is a British novel so it seems only logical for the British to make an adaptation of it as well.

I wonder if the BBC still have the rights to screen it...

Since this is a TV Thread, and some of you aren't following my twitter (I made a huge fuss last night)

Adult Swim is back! Syfy will be airing the Robot Chicken Star Wars Specials over December.

Also, in 2012, TCM2 will have a mini-AS block every Wednesday night at 10. (The exact channel I said they should have 2 years ago -_-)

So, yeah, go watch! If we can expand it enough, they might show anime or something... we hope...

Now here's the problem - if Person A is following Person B, but Person B is also following Person A...how does that work in the literal sense? Just, standing still and talking?

In English

* Ponyo - 18.55 on 10th December.

In Japanese/subs

* Princess Mononoke - 16.40 on 11th December.
* Tales from Earthsea - 16.25 on 12th December.
* The Castle of Cagliostro - 16.55 on 13th December.
* Little Norse Prince - 17.20 on 14th December.
(*calling all the others too!)

(according to my PlayTV Guide)

Yep, Sky Guide has been saying the same thing when I've been remotely setting them up to recording.
Hopefully the subbing is good, but was pleasantly surprised at the number of subbed movies rather than dubbed they're doing.

alexrose1uk said:
Yep, Sky Guide has been saying the same thing when I've been remotely setting them up to recording.
Hopefully the subbing is good, but was pleasantly surprised at the number of subbed movies rather than dubbed they're doing.

Looking at a copy of TV Times now and Everything apart from Both Showings of Ponyo will be in Japanese with English Subtitles by the look of it.
(From the 17th onwards!)

alexrose1uk said:
I'll be honest, I knew Tales of Earthsea was based off a british novel, I didn't know Howl's was as well.

It was based off a novel by Diana Wynne Jones which is probably half the reason I struggled with it when I usually enjoy Ghibli films as I used to love her books as a kid. Still do actually :).

Back