Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

A few need crossing off
That list is out of date now, so we need a new one.

From your additional suggestions above, the ones I would be interested in are...
  • Kill la Kill: I have it on Blu-ray now, and I've wanted to simulwatch this for some time, so this would be my top pick.
  • Mob Psycho 100: Oh yes, please. I rewatched season 1 just recently before going straight into season 2 and would love a repeat.
  • Haruhi Suzumiya franchise: Another one I'd love to try simulwatching, especially if the two comedy spin-offs could be included as well.
  • Steins;Gate: I got this on Blu-ray recently, so this would suit me just fine. I would hope to include the movie along with this, as I haven't seen it yet.
  • Girls' Last Tour: Got the CE; haven't watched it yet. This would be great.
  • Cowboy Bebop: I would tag along for this as well, yeah. (Samurai Champloo from the same director as another contender?)

You mention Death Note but suggest that it's probably a bit long for simulwatching. I agree, so how about the pair of Japanese live-action films instead? Not sure how accessible those are, mind.

I'd be interested in Anohana and After the Rain as well, but I don't own copies of either of those yet.

Good suggestions. 👍

Last edited:
That Negima!? series is soooooo good. Every episode is hilarious. And Kill Me Baby is great.
Negima added to my list due to be added to my list but my Evernote has crashed (probably due to said list). I got kill me baby from the sales and I think Nichijou is on funimation (have the US copy for what that's worth).

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Been on my list due a while but I haven't been able to get a copy not import one at a reasonable price.. Was it ever released in UK? Good suggestions in that list.
Could be a good idea. May need to be more relaxed in terms of timings, especially if there is another simulwatch on at the same time. Maybe a movie a week (or at the least a few days) then more people might find time to watch it and give their thoughts.
Cool, definitely agree with a very relaxed set of rules and very much an ad hoc thing. Will have a think and put one together then.

Was it ever released in UK?
No. According to blu-ray.com it's been released in the US, Canada, Australia, Germany and Italy.
Looking back I got it from a fellow forum member and is the Australian version:

I suppose the difficulty of finding it could be a sticking point.

Just so that we can all see the current simulwatch state of play, here's a list of our currently scheduled simulwatches as well as all of the suggestions made in this thread to date:

Currently scheduled:
  • Gurren Lagann + movies + Parallel Works: 26 March–29 April
  • Planetes: May
  • Ergo Proxy: June
  • Garden of Sinners: October

Suggested:
  • After the Rain
  • Anohana
  • Barakamon
  • Cowboy Bebop + movie
  • Darling in the FranXX
  • Death Note
  • Elfen Lied
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Gall Force
  • Ghost in the Shell (1995 film)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
  • Girls' Last Tour
  • Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
  • His and Her Circumstances
  • Kill la Kill
  • Konosuba seasons 1 & 2
  • Macross Plus + movie
  • Madlax
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya seasons 1 & 2 + movie + spin-offs
  • Mob Psycho 100 seasons 1 & 2
  • Noein
  • Noir
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • Pani Poni Dash
  • Patlabor (OVA series 1)
  • Psycho-Pass season 1
  • Punch Line
  • R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA, TV)
  • Rumbling Hearts
  • Samurai Champloo
  • She: The Ultimate Weapon
  • Steins;Gate + movie
  • Texhnolyze
  • Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  • Vinland Saga
  • Watamote
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • You’re Under Arrest (OVA)
  • Mamoru Hosoda films (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, The Boy and the Beast, Mirai)
  • Project Itoh films (Empire of Corpses, Harmony, Genocidal Organ)
  • Studio Ghibli films (numerous)

Last edited:
Just so that we can all see the current simulwatch state of play, here's a list of our currently scheduled simulwatches as well as all of the suggestions made in this thread to date:

Currently scheduled:
  • Gurren Lagann + movies + Parallel Works: 26 March–29 April
  • Planetes: May
  • Ergo Proxy: June
  • Garden of Sinners: October

Suggested:
  • After the Rain
  • Anohana
  • Barakamon
  • Cowboy Bebop + movie
  • Death Note
  • Elfen Lied
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Gall Force
  • Ghost in the Shell (1995 film)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
  • Girls' Last Tour
  • Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
  • His and Her Circumstances
  • Kill la Kill
  • Konosuba seasons 1 & 2
  • Macross Plus + movie
  • Madlax
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya seasons 1 & 2 + movie + spin-offs
  • Mob Psycho 100 seasons 1 & 2
  • Noein
  • Noir
  • Pani Poni Dash
  • Patlabor (OVA series 1)
  • Psycho-Pass season 1
  • Punch Line
  • R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA, TV)
  • Rumbling Hearts
  • Samurai Champloo
  • She: The Ultimate Weapon
  • Steins;Gate + movie
  • Texhnolyze
  • Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  • Vinland Saga
  • Watamote
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • You’re Under Arrest (OVA)
  • Mamoru Hosoda films (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, The Boy and the Beast, Mirai)
  • Project Itoh films (Empire of Corpses, Harmony, Genocidal Organ)
  • Studio Ghibli films (numerous)
Thanks for the summary dude, I was thinking that was just what was required with the various suggestions peppered across the thread.

I've been enjoying the current Gurren Lagann simulwatch. I don't know if this has been done in the past, but if not I'd like to suggest Ouran High School Host Club.

I'd like to suggest Ouran High School Host Club.
It's been duly added to the list above, Ian. 👍

Just to give regular simulwatchers an early heads-up, I'm currently working on an idea of turning that big simulwatch suggestion list above into its own single-post locked thread for easier reference. The plan would be for it to act as a companion thread to this one.

I'm aiming to maintain a list of upcoming scheduled simulwatches, and I also plan to include a section containing links to all the past AUKN simulwatches.

Does that sound okay?

Gah, my idea's run into a problem already: it's not actually possible for a regular member to lock a thread they've created. I'm talking nonsense.

It'd be neat to have the lists and links and all, but I wouldn't want simulwatch discussion to end up split between two separate threads or anything. What to do... 🤔

What to do... 🤔
Could ask the Prof to edit the first post as the OP or ask an admin if it's possible to move the entire thread into a new thread and then do that if it's possible.

some kind of voting thing
You can make a vote here, but only on a new thread. You could make a new thread with a vote with the heading "Next Simulwatch Vote" or something and then edit the heading and first post once the result is in. Would have to make a No Posting rule or ask an admin to remove any posts relating to the voting period. The vote would stay, but that would be interesting to see what people were thinking.

Just as a little update on my previously mentioned idea for a simulwatch schedule and complete suggestions list, I've put a draft together, ready to post as a trial. The intention is for it to be a resource that can be used in conjunction with this thread to help better keep track of our simulwatch state of play.

I'll drop a link to the thread in here when it's done. Any issues or suggestions, please do let me know, folks.

Double post.

Link, as promised above:

Double post.

Link, as promised above:
Good stuff, thanks for putting that together dude, very useful indeed. I'm pretty sleepy and tired so just to clarify that your new thread will be for reference only and not posting, with the discussions to continue on this one?

I also really like the voting idea @D1tchd1gger suggested so would happily second that when required in the future.

Lastly, may I suggest one of my all time favourites: Toradora! for consideration please? Thanks.

Good stuff, thanks for putting that together dude, very useful indeed. I'm pretty sleepy and tired so just to clarify that your new thread will be for reference only and not posting, with the discussions to continue on this one?
Ah, you're very welcome, dude. 😁👍

But yeah, that's precisely my idea. @Professor Irony already created a thread for us to suggest and discuss simulwatch ideas, and that is this thread. With simulwatching in such rude health here at the moment, though, I thought it would be useful to have an easily accessible resource to help us keep track of where we're at.

To perhaps aid quick access to it, I plan to include a link to the simulwatch schedule and suggestions list in my signature. A user's signature appears at the bottom of each one of their posts. If you're viewing the forums on a smartphone, just rotate your device into landscape mode to view them, because they're not visible in portrait. I have a quick link to the Gurren Lagann simulwatch thread in my signature at the moment, but I'll change that to the schedule and suggestions list after that simulwatch ends. 🙂

This goes out to everyone reading, but if you want something added to the suggestions list, just tag me @Neil.T or quote me here and I'll add it. (I've already added Toradora, Geriatric hedgehog.) I'll aim to keep the schedule up to date as well.

I will say, though, that I get alerts for new posts in both this thread and the other one anyway, so no suggestions will get overlooked, wherever they're posted.

Hope that's all okay.

I've already added Toradora
Thanks dude!
To perhaps aid quick access to it, I plan to include a link to the simulwatch schedule and suggestions list in my signature. A user's signature appears at the bottom of each one of their posts. If you're viewing the forums on a smartphone, just rotate your device into landscape mode to view them, because they're not visible in portrait.
Heheh I did not know this and thanks for the idiot's guide and bearing with my lack of skills in this department (though I'm getting there, I even used the quote function earlier!). This is really useful as I find it difficult to keep a track of threads I'm meant to be "watching", as unless there is a recent active post in the alerts, things are easily missed. Is there a way to navigate to a list of only the threads one is watching? I've probably just missed it or not found it yet...

Is there a way to navigate to a list of only the threads one is watching?
There is indeed. On a smartphone, tap on the three parallel horizontal lines at the left of the top banner (the one with the ANIME UK NEWS logo, your avatar, messages, etc.) to open a pop-up menu. You should see an option that says "Watched threads". Just tap on that.

That's actually the main way I navigate these forums.

Thanks dude!

Heheh I did not know this and thanks for the idiot's guide and bearing with my lack of skills in this department (though I'm getting there, I even used the quote function earlier!). This is really useful as I find it difficult to keep a track of threads I'm meant to be "watching", as unless there is a recent active post in the alerts, things are easily missed. Is there a way to navigate to a list of only the threads one is watching? I've probably just missed it or not found it yet...
There is indeed. On a smartphone, tap on the three parallel horizontal lines at the left of the top banner (the one with the ANIME UK NEWS logo, your avatar, messages, etc.) to open a pop-up menu. You should see an option that says "Watched threads". Just tap on that.

That's actually the main way I navigate these forums.
What I do is click on the lightning symbol to go to the What's New page which lists the threads in order of most recently updated. Any that have posts you havent checked appear in bold and it's an easy way to keep up to date with all new content on the forum.

I consider the What's New page to be my home page on the site.

You should see an option that says "Watched threads". Just tap on that.
Oh my goodness, I'm such a muppet and can't believe I didn't see this...that's exactly what I was getting at, thanks dude!
What I do is click on the lightning symbol to go to the What's New page which lists the threads in order of most recently updated. Any that have posts you havent checked appear in bold and it's an easy way to keep up to date with all new content on the forum.

I consider the What's New page to be my home page on the site.
Yeah that one is handy too and I've used that every now and again but was previously struggling to find a particular thread I'd chosen to watch if there were no updates in it but @Neil.T just fixed that (what should really have been a non-issue heh) for me.

Back