Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

There's Planetes coming out at the end of April
That's right. 🤔
It's currently due out on Monday 26 April, with the Gurren Lagann simulwatch set to run until Thursday 29.

Maybe Planetes should be before Ergo Proxy, then? It's been on the suggestions list for longer as well.

Planetes is 26 episodes, so that would account for most of May. How about June for Ergo Proxy, @Lordhippos and @WMD?

people have also suggested Garden of Sinners
I think that @Geriatric hedgehog might have had the idea of that being an October one, for Halloween.

I've got another suggestion for a short October simulwatch that could either precede or follow it. I'll wait until a bit closer to the time before going into any specifics, but it's a non-anime one, a trilogy of Korean films. (I wonder if anyone can guess it. 😉)

That's right. 🤔
It's currently due out on Monday 26 April, with the Gurren Lagann simulwatch set to run until Thursday 29.

Maybe Planetes should be before Ergo Proxy, then? It's been on the suggestions list for longer as well.

Planetes is 26 episodes, so that would account for most of May. How about June for Ergo Proxy, @Lordhippos and @WMD?

I think that @Geriatric hedgehog might have had the idea of that being an October one, for Halloween.

I've got another suggestion for a short October simulwatch that could either precede or follow it. I'll wait until a bit closer to the time before going into any specifics, but it's a non-anime one, a trilogy of Korean films. (I wonder if anyone can guess it. 😉)

Yes, if the planetes rewatch is overlapping it then I'd say planetes first. I've not seen planetes yet so both are new to me!

Heh I'm liking this schedule guys, very nice. So we've got the indomitable gurren lagann, followed by planetes, and then ergo proxy; further down the line garden of Sinners I hope and @Neil.T's mystery Korean trilogy (I wonder what it could be!). Good stuff. @WMD mentioned doing a comedy series, which I think would be a good idea in between those heavy hitters! With all the Konosuba talk, how would everyone feel about that? I think everyone agrees it's hilarious and the whole meta mick take of isekai would make for fun chats. Also I have some very pressing questions on Aqua's backside I need answered...

You could do a Hentai every now and then, Lol - they'd be short, most are only 2-3 episodes... I can only imagine the comment section for reviewing something like that... 🥳 😁
Hahaha you joker.
A comedy or something lighter could be good, only downside to a comedy is there's usually less to talk about from an idea/plot point of view, but Konosuba is fairly short and a light watch.
Yeah I wouldn't expect much discussion around purely comedy shows unless they're combination comedy/dramas or like konosuba where they deconstruct a genre. Anyhoo, thought off of @WMD's suggestion of a comedy series that it may be an idea as a break from the heavy themes I'm expecting in the others (haven't watched Planetes or Ergo Proxy before either).

A comedy or something lighter could be good, only downside to a comedy is there's usually less to talk about from an idea/plot point of view, but Konosuba is fairly short and a light watch.
Hahaha you joker.

Yeah I wouldn't expect much discussion around purely comedy shows unless they're combination comedy/dramas or like konosuba where they deconstruct a genre. Anyhoo, thought off of @WMD's suggestion of a comedy series that it may be an idea as a break from the heavy themes I'm expecting in the others (haven't watched Planetes or Ergo Proxy before either).
Yeah. Things like Konosuba would work due to their meta nature. Also something like Watamote or Welcome to the NHK would allow for discussion around mental health whilst also being funny shows. Then things that are more surreal like Pani Poni Dash or Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto can have a lot of little weird moments to discuss.

Yeah. Things like Konosuba would work due to their meta nature. Also something like Watamote or Welcome to the NHK would allow for discussion around mental health whilst also being funny shows. Then things that are more surreal like Pani Poni Dash or Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto can have a lot of little weird moments to discuss.

Yeah something along these lines could also be good!

Heheh yet a few more added to my watchlist! Bought NHK a while back but yet to watch. Yeah it does sound like those would do well for a simulwatch.

I had a thought off the back of @Lordhippos current ad hoc Satoshi Kon movie simulwatch thread: would there be an appetite for an Ad-hoc Movie Simulwatch thread?

Unlike series, which should have their own individual threads and really need advanced planning, a movie series or individual movies could potentially get people interested at short notice and be practical to join, all in a single ongoing thread. For example, I was planning to watch the Project Itoh set of movies soon, now that I've got them all, but thought it would be nice to discuss their themes with others in a simulwatch. Would welcome any ideas & suggestions and be happy to set up a thread on this (depending on my IT literacy...) if there was interest.

I had a thought off the back of @Lordhippos current ad hoc Satoshi Kon movie simulwatch thread: would there be an appetite for an Ad-hoc Movie Simulwatch thread?

Unlike series, which should have their own individual threads and really need advanced planning, a movie series or individual movies could potentially get people interested at short notice and be practical to join, all in a single ongoing thread. For example, I was planning to watch the Project Itoh set of movies soon, now that I've got them all, but thought it would be nice to discuss their themes with others in a simulwatch. Would welcome any ideas & suggestions and be happy to set up a thread on this (depending on my IT literacy...) if there was interest.
Could be a good idea. May need to be more relaxed in terms of timings, especially if there is another simulwatch on at the same time. Maybe a movie a week (or at the least a few days) then more people might find time to watch it and give their thoughts.

I would definitely be up for revisiting the Peoject Itoh films in any case.

Unlike series, which should have their own individual threads and really need advanced planning, a movie series or individual movies could potentially get people interested at short notice and be practical to join

Yes I think this could be a good idea. I watch way fewer movies than I do series/episodes, and there must be a bunch of movies I've not seen yet.

Could be a good idea. May need to be more relaxed in terms of timings, especially if there is another simulwatch on at the same time

Yeah my pacing on this was a bit extreme for most people to keep up with for sure, but I figured people may want to just join for 1 or 2 of them :)

I agree with being careful on overlap of existing re-watches, on this occasion I tried to fit mine into the gap between the Lustrous watch and the upcoming GL one.

Just to add my two cents' worth on the latest suggestions...

I've got my pair of Konosuba CEs now, so I would absolutely be up for a rewatch of this one. 👍

Barakamon
Again, definitely. Got it on BD but haven't watched it yet. A simulwatch sounds great.

Watamote or Welcome to the NHK
Either of these I would definitely join in with and rewatch. I'd be particularly excited for NHK; it's a standout series.

(I don't have Pani Poni Dash or Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto.)

the Project Itoh set of movies
I've got two out of the three: Empire of Corpses and Harmony and would simulwatch them with y'all.

Lots to consider.

Either of these I would definitely join in with and rewatch. I'd be particularly excited for NHK; it's a standout series.
Yeah it's been a crazy long time since I watched it so would definitely be up for it.

I don't have Pani Poni Dash or Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
I think you'd enjoy both. They're both crazy but in different ways. I dont think PPD every had a uk release unfortunately. My copy is the old SAVE edition R1 DVD. But if you can find a way to watch it in would definitely recommend it.

I think you'd enjoy both.
I fancy Sakamoto. (The show, I mean, not the guy. 😆)

I do have to hold my hand up now and admit that I stretched the truth about Pani Poni Dash, though. I do actually have volume 1 of it. (It was released in the UK across six DVD volumes by ADV Films back in the day.)

I got it cheap in CEX because it even included the booklet, but I bounced off it, I'm afraid — which is a surprise, because I really like Negima!? (the madcap "reimagined" second series by SHAFT and Akiyuki Shinbō).

I think comedy with quite random humour is a bit of a dark art, because I see Kill Me Baby as an actual work of genius, but I gave up on the Nichijou manga after one volume (library loan), and don't even get me started on SHAFT's anime of Arakawa Under the Bridge. 😩

I fancy Sakamoto. (The show, I mean, not the guy. 😆)

I do have to hold my hand up now and admit that I stretched the truth about Pani Poni Dash, though. I do actually have volume 1 of it. (It was released in the UK across six DVD volumes by ADV Films back in the day.)

I got it cheap in CEX because it even included the booklet, but I bounced off it, I'm afraid — which is a surprise, because I really like Negima!? (the madcap "reimagined" second series by SHAFT and Akiyuki Shinbō).

I think comedy with quite random humour is a bit of a dark art, because I see Kill Me Baby as an actual work of genius, but I gave up on the Nichijou manga after one volume (library loan), and don't even get me started on SHAFT's anime of Arakawa Under the Bridge. 😩
Fair. For me Pani Poni Dash does get better as it goes along and some of the random elements are drawn more into a main story. It is one of the most out there and weird shows though. But I do love it.

That Negima!? series is soooooo good. Every episode is hilarious. And Kill Me Baby is great. I actually really liked the Nichijou manga but havent seen the anime yet.

Arakawa was alright but I've never had any inclination to revisit tbh. It was one of the first things I watched in subs actually. I won a prize from MVM to get that years January new releases which also included Otorimonogatari. Back then I didnt buy anime if it was subs only as there was more than enough dubbed stuff for me to watch but after winning that prize I started just buying whatever.

Last edited:
Loved Barakumon. More SOL-y than a straight up comedy, Non Non Biyori would be similar comparison, but that's probably even more SOL. And then there's Yuru Camp which has plenty of funny moments.
As for the funniest stuff I've seen it would be a toss up between Nozaki-kun and Kaguya-sama, although both are, sort of, Rom-coms.

I was going through my MAL 8s and 9s for a long list (of my 10s, 1's a 3rd season, 1's been done, 1 I hope we'll get to, but has already been mentioned and the final one probably isn't really simulwatch material) in no particular order:
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note (37 eps might be a bit long)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (64 is defo too long)
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0(?)
Anohana
Psycho Pass (probably just s1)
Kill La Kill (got to be done as we're doing GL)
Vinland Saga (probably not till physical, which a year or so away at least?)
Mob Psycho 100 (1 & 2)
Elfen Lied
Haruhi Suzumiya franchise (everybody gets to suffer watch the Endless 8 😅)
Steins;Gate (again, just the first season)
After the Rain(?)
Girls Last Tour

In searching the thread to see if these have been mentioned I found this:

A few need crossing off @Neil.T

Back