Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

As the spring shows have mostly wrapped and the summer season looks a little less than stellar, does anyone have thoughts on what they’d want to tackle next, if we were doing another simulwatch thread?

My personal choices, in no particular order, would be for one of:
  • Noein
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Noir
  • Madlax
  • Read or Die (Ova and tv series)
Though as always I'm open to suggestions.

Just for reference's sake, here's an A–Z list of all the unwatched suggestions from this thread so far, along with who suggested them.

Last edited:
So from @Neil.T list I've gone through with whether I'd join or not. Several depend on how easy it would be for me to get hold of/find online. Also I'd obviously join in on any of my suggestions
  • Gall Force Dont know how easy this is to find but if I can would give it a go
  • Ghost in the Shell [1995 film] yep would watch
  • Ghost in the Shell: Innocence again yep
  • Gurren Lagann + movies + Parallel Works not gona watch the movies again as I've just seen em but probably would join in on the series
  • His and Her Circumstances never heard of this one but if it's possible to watch/get hold of would join
  • Macross Plus + movie again if I can find it to watch I'd join
  • Madlax
  • Noein
  • Noir
  • Punch Line it wasnt all that long ago I saw this and not that bothered right now to watch it again
  • R.O.D: Read or Die [OVA, TV]
  • Rumbling Hearts
  • Serial Experiments Lain yeah it's been ages since I last watched this so would be up for it
  • She: The Ultimate Weapon
  • Texhnolyze
  • You’re Under Arrest [OVA] if I can get hold of it then yeah I'd join in
  • Wanna-Be's 😛 I'm guessing theres a joke here but unlike Neil I cant be bothered to go back through 8 pages trying to find it

• Mamoru Hosoda yep love his films
  • Satoshi Kon how many films is this? Sure I've got a few of them so would defo join for at least some of it
  • Studio Ghibli wouldnt watch all of them but may dip in and out

- Wanna-Be's 😛 I'm guessing theres a joke here but unlike Neil I cant be bothered to go back through 8 pages trying to find it
Here ya go, mate:
I forsee Knight Saber avatars on the horizon.

For a bonus round, we should watch Wanna-Be's

- Satoshi Kon how many films is this? Sure I've got a few of them so would defo join for at least some of it
Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika as films, and Paranoia Agent as a series. So four films and one TV series.

Last edited:
Work’s been 5 days a week now (more sort of average hours than the hours I’ve had before) leaves me a bit tired and lazy to follow the simulwatches, but here’s what I’m thinking:

i have been watching kokkoku and almost finished it

since AoT will be back this year, I’m thinking of a rewatch/catch up for people who’ve shown interest but well, not caught up yet. If I’m right about it dropping October, there’s still plenty of time to see the first three seasons before we see it

nothing quite coming to mind, but for the time - strapped during these current events, I’m thinking of a short cour show pretty much anyone can keep up with

- His and Her Circumstances never heard of this one but if it's possible to watch/get hold of would join
I forgot to chime in with this before, but it's the show that Gainax made after Evangelion. It's adapted from a comedy/romance manga, and Hideaki Anno directed part of it.

It's also known by its Japanese title of Kare Kano, shortened from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou.

Last edited:
I forgot to chime in with this before, but it's the show that Gainax made after Evangelion. It's adapted from a comedy/romance manga, and Hideaki Anno directed part of it.

It's also known by its Japanese title of Kare Kano, shortened from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou.
Interesting. Well I've seen that theres a r1 dvd of it so I've ordered it as I'm gona want to give it a go regardless of whether we all watch it.

Also ordered Genocidal Organ as we dont seem to be getting that one here. Which made me wonder if people would want to do any of the Project Itoh films (Harmony, Empire of Corpses, Genocidal Organ) at some point

I’d be down for a double bill of Lain/Texhnolyze.
I'd join in with the Lain part of that for sure.

Also ordered Genocidal Organ as we dont seem to be getting that one here. Which made me wonder if people would want to do any of the Project Itoh films (Harmony, Empire of Corpses, Genocidal Organ) at some point
How annoying that it's the best of the bunch that we don't get. ☹

I've got the other two, though, so I'd join in for those (missed opportunities that they are). I'll keep a running list on my phone's notepad of all the active suggestions that I can drop into the thread at any point as an update.

Last edited:
Hah! I only mentioned Wanna-Be's as a joke because it has character designs by Sonoda - it's definitely an experience, but it's kind of inconsequential otherwise.

From the list, the only things I wouldn't be that keen for are TTGL (not a fan, sorry) and Punchline (it's not bad, but once was enough tbh), other than that, I'm down for whatever. I did consider suggesting Ghost Sweeper Mikami, but it's quite a bit longer than I remembered (45 episodes) and there's probably not a huge amount to say about it on an episode to episode basis ('I liked the part where they exorcised the ghost').

One I would possibly chuck in though is Patlabor, at least for the first OVA run, as I think it's only seven episodes.

Hah! I only mentioned Wanna-Be's as a joke because it has character designs by Sonoda - it's definitely an experience, but it's kind of inconsequential otherwise.

From the list, the only things I wouldn't be that keen for are TTGL (not a fan, sorry) and Punchline (it's not bad, but once was enough tbh), other than that, I'm down for whatever. I did consider suggesting Ghost Sweeper Mikami, but it's quite a bit longer than I remembered (45 episodes) and there's probably not a huge amount to say about it on an episode to episode basis ('I liked the part where they exorcised the ghost').

One I would possibly chuck in though is Patlabor, at least for the first OVA run, as I think it's only seven episodes.
I’d be happy to revisit Patlabor!

Coming back to what everyone else is saying, I could never get into texhnolyze, though it is available to anyone even with just a smartphone. Lain is possible, I might be interested in the Eva style analysis that might need

Interesting. How should we tackle this, then? Maybe have some kind of vote or something? The candidates would be:
  • Gall Force
  • Ghost in the Shell (1995 film)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
  • Gurren Lagann + movies + Parallel Works
  • His and Her Circumstances
  • Macross Plus + movie
  • Madlax
  • Noein
  • Noir
  • Patlabor (OVA series 1)
  • Punch Line
  • R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA, TV)
  • Rumbling Hearts
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Serial Experiments Lain/Texhnolyze double bill
  • She: The Ultimate Weapon
  • You’re Under Arrest (OVA)

• Mamoru Hosoda films (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, The Boy and the Beast, Mirai)
  • Project Itoh films (Empire of Corpses, Harmony, Genocidal Organ)
  • Satoshi Kon films/series (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Paranoia Agent)
  • Studio Ghibli films (numerous)

Last edited:
Back