Renegade Simulwatch Club [RS]

Lordhippos

Pokémon Master
Edit - I've decided to discontinue this.

Renegade Simulwatch Club

What is it?

It's an alternate to the Regular Simulwatches that are held. It's clear there is a demand for more simulwatch content, but the list is long and the days are short.

This thread will be for discussing and arranging these alternate simulwatches.

Threads tagged with [RS] are Renegade Simulwatch ones.

Why is it?

I am often watching stuff that would be great to do as simulwatches, but arranging lots of simulwatches could get complicated, so this is an attempt to take some of that burden upon myself. My ethos will be that I will try and do more ad-hoc things, and I will aim to try and do something every month if I can.

I figure it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, so instead of trying to find out exactly when people want to start a simulwatch, I'm just going to throw a date in and set it to start. If people want to move the dates then that's something we can discuss here, but otherwise I think it's hard to actually get these things started.

What is on the agenda to watch?

As I am in control, only good can come of this 👿

My goal is to try and watch interesting shows that aren't common watches, so I hope to get a good number where it's a first time watch for as many of us as possible.

Schedule

Future Options (open for discussion)

Shows

N/A for now.

Films

The following films remain as future options, I will try and do at least one more around the end of the year/start of the new year.

A Letter to Momo
Okko's Inn
Maquia
Metropolis
Napping Princess
Ninja Scroll
Steamboy
Sword of the Stranger
Project Itoh (trilogy)
Children of the Sea (+1 vote from me on next one)

Last edited:
Is the live action film part of the main story somehow?
It's not, no. It's its own separate thing, directed by a guy called Fumihiko Sori:

He's worked on motion-captured things like Appleseed and Vexille, but his live-action Ping Pong is way better than those. In fact, as I admitted to João previously, I actually prefer it to the anime, as much of a Masaaki Yuasa fan I am.

Ouch, man. 😅

I really hope you'll enjoy it after all that expense!

Oh I just framed it that way to sound dramatic, I paid 0.99 gbp for the DVD and 3.99 gbp for shipping so I actually paid 3x instead of 4x.

All this to say that I'm OK with the amount I paid overall for the movie! Gonna be interesting for sure, and I'll probably follow it up with yet another watch of the anime, so...

Renegade Simulwatch Club

What is it?

It's an alternate to the Regular Simulwatches that are held. It's clear there is a demand for more simulwatch content, but the list is long and the days are short.

This thread will be for discussing and arranging these alternate simulwatches.

Threads tagged with [RS] are Renegade Simulwatch ones.

Why is it?

I am often watching stuff that would be great to do as simulwatches, but arranging lots of simulwatches could get complicated, so this is an attempt to take some of that burden upon myself. My ethos will be that I will try and do more ad-hoc things, and I will aim to try and do something every month if I can.

I figure it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, so instead of trying to find out exactly when people want to start a simulwatch, I'm just going to throw a date in and set it to start. If people want to move the dates then that's something we can discuss here, but otherwise I think it's hard to actually get these things started.

What is on the agenda to watch?

As I am in control, only good can come of this 👿

My goal is to try and watch interesting shows that aren't common watches, so I hope to get a good number where it's a first time watch for as many of us as possible.

Schedule

IDSimulwatchLinkStatus
#1Anthem of the Heart (27/08 - 31/08) Ongoing
#2Shiki (15/09 - 06/10) Scheduled
Ergo Proxy (TBC November)Planning

Future Options (open for discussion)

Shows

I have some shows on my PTW that I think could be decent for a simulwatch, although I can't promise I won't watch any of them before they could be scheduled! :)

Ping Pong
Katanagatari
Inuyashiki
Akudama Drive
Baccano (I really need to try this one again)
Golden Time
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Films

The following was voted for last time, with AotH removed as it's in Simulwatch #1. As promised, the next bespoke film vote we do I will add +1 vote to Pancreas as it came in joint first but lost on the randomiser.

A Letter to Momo
Okko's Inn
I want to eat your Pancreas
Maquia
Metropolis
Napping Princess
Ninja Scroll
Steamboy
Sword of the Stranger
Loving the options and looking forward to watching these. Of them, I've been really wanting to watch Katanagatari but I can't find any reasonably priced release...

Katanagatari looks really interesting, only 12 eps or something but think they are each fairly long at about an hour per episode.

Feel free to throw me other random ideas about things that would be good to watch too I can add to the list :)

Given the other simulwatches planned for October I am moving Ping Pong to early November, and no date yet but seems like Ergo Proxy will need to be December.

I have provisionally set Ping Pong for Weds 03/11 until Sat 13/11, as the other most interested party, does that work for you @João Gomes ? If so I will update the table and get the thread created :)

I hope other people can join for Ping Pong as well, it's a nice short series and sounds interesting!

Last edited:
Given the other simulwatches planned for October I am moving Ping Pong to early November, and no date yet but seems like Ergo Proxy will need to be December.

I have provisionally set Ping Pong for Weds 03/11 until Sat 13/11, as the other most interested party, does that work four you @João Gomes ? If so I will update the table and get the thread created :)

I hope other people can join for Ping Pong as well, it's a nice short series and sounds interesting!

Yes, it does! I'll always have time for Ping Pong, one my goats! 🐐

Ergo Proxy in December is cool, too, since that'll give me the time to get it.

It's a while away yet but posted link in OP :)

I'll also edit and add the comment about it being on funi thanks @D1tchd1gger !

I'll check later on as to a good date, but I had intended for somewhere near the start of December as the start date.

With Christmas approaching I will check how many episodes there are, I think ideally I'd finish it a bit before Christmas so will run the numbers backwards, I'd like to say finish by Weds 22nd of December perhaps to give people time to prepare for Christmas things.

I've never seen it before but I've heard it's good! :)

Looks like that makes it a start date of Monday 29th of November to end by Weds 22nd of December.

I could make the start on the weekend instead to give people a little more time to ease into first couple of episodes.

Preferences here on start date?

Friday 26/11
Saturday 27/11
Sunday 28/11
Monday 29/11

Please reply if you have one, otherwise I will default to Monday 29/11 later on this evening when I make the post :)

Back