Renegade Simulwatch Club [RS]

Flashbacks to our Lustrous simulwatch and episode 10 specifically

The drool won't stop coming 🤤
Gosh that reminds me, we haven't done a simulwatch in ages. That Lustrous one was epic. I've been so unhealthily engrossed in the Fate universe, I need to diversify heh.

Anyone fancy watching anything in particular by any chance? I'm catching up on previous season/s and currently watching Mieruko-chan, which for me is an accomplished horror under a pseudo comedy-horror facade but that's probably better for a Halloween watch. Can't think of anything specifically with a summer-y theme, maybe Toradora?? Or movie-wise maybe Ride Your Wave?

Gosh that reminds me, we haven't done a simulwatch in ages. That Lustrous one was epic. I've been so unhealthily engrossed in the Fate universe, I need to diversify heh.

Anyone fancy watching anything in particular by any chance? I'm catching up on previous season/s and currently watching Mieruko-chan, which for me is an accomplished horror under a pseudo comedy-horror facade but that's probably better for a Halloween watch. Can't think of anything specifically with a summer-y theme, maybe Toradora?? Or movie-wise maybe Ride Your Wave?

Aloha dude, I've decided to stop doing more of them, seems to not be a lot of interest in it, I'd love to do more but it's disappointing when the engagement is low.

Reason I added this in the first place was to see if I could do more simulwatches as it does add an extra element of fun to watching the series, but undeniably more work for people as you have a schedule to stick to and more posts to write up.

I've not been as active generally myself either lately, still pop in every now and then but it's probably once or twice a week at the moment.

I think having multiple threads of people discussing what to watch next became too messy. We should go back to the old way of 1 thread to choose and different people setting up each simulwatch. There will always be some with more of less people joining in based on what people want to watch.

In terms of what would be good to watch next I have Haibane Renmei and Boogiepop Phantom sat on my shelf from teh recent re-releases. I also have an itch to rewatch Darker Than Black.

I think having multiple threads of people discussing what to watch next became too messy.

Possibly so, though one of the reasons I wanted this was because people would often discuss stuff to watch but not really ever commit to doing it from the prior thread, in any case this one is kind of dead to me so probably not a whole lot of point to discussing shows to watch here anymore.

Don't think I can close it though. Edit - no I can only delete it but didn't want to do that necessarily.

Last edited:
I am happy for you to report threads that need closing to tidy things up, it's no trouble (and obviously nobody will be punished for asking for a voluntary closing). Or I can merge it in with the other?

R

Possibly so, though one of the reasons I wanted this was because people would often discuss stuff to watch but not really ever commit to doing it from the prior thread, in any case this one is kind of dead to me so probably not a whole lot of point to discussing shows to watch here anymore.

Don't think I can close it though. Edit - no I can only delete it but didn't want to do that necessarily.
Oh dear, sorry dude. That's a shame but for what it's worth I've really enjoyed the simulwatches on both threads even though I did struggle to keep up on a daily basis for the longer seasons. Please don't close the thread, it would be a shame to lose it. Though merging may not be a bad idea as it can be a bit tricky with multiple threads (I think we have three at the moment) to know which to follow or post on sometimes. Maybe we could do not more than a handful a year as probably a bit of simulwatch-fatigue sets in after a run of a few? I do hope you're not put off of simulwatches altogether though!

In terms of what would be good to watch next I have Haibane Renmei and Boogiepop Phantom sat on my shelf from teh recent re-releases. I also have an itch to rewatch Darker Than Black.
Haibane is a great one especially with the recent MVM deal. I still haven't watched the DVDs of that which I got ages ago and now I've got blu ray as well heh so that'd be my first choice to pick. As for the others: - Boogiepop is another great one for a simulwatch - lots to pick out in that one and then also the "prequel" one on crunchyroll, so I'd be more than happy to rewatch together; - Darker Than Black I don't have, and I don't think it's streaming anywhere, but definitely on my list to watch.

So, to throw it out there if there is interest: shall we aim for Haibane in the next 2-4 weeks maybe?

Alternatively, we could make a separate subforum for simulwatches to keep all of the threads in one place, then you could do one per series to make it easier to dig out old discussions?

R

Alternatively, we could make a separate subforum for simulwatches to keep all of the threads in one place, then you could do one per series to make it easier to dig out old discussions?

R
That's a good point actually, isn't there a simulcast watch one that hasn't been used in a while? Maybe a rebranding of that or something?

Aloha dude, I've decided to stop doing more of them, seems to not be a lot of interest in it, I'd love to do more but it's disappointing when the engagement is low.

Reason I added this in the first place was to see if I could do more simulwatches as it does add an extra element of fun to watching the series, but undeniably more work for people as you have a schedule to stick to and more posts to write up.

I've not been as active generally myself either lately, still pop in every now and then but it's probably once or twice a week at the moment.
For what it's worth I enjoyed the ones I attended last year and been keeping an eye on this thread for any that I happen to own but it wasn't meant to be.

I'm out of the Anime game and back into my games phase - I'd be game for Renmei eventually but I'm on vacation in a week until the end of July.

I look at my anime collection every single day (not an exaggeration), smelling it (you read that right 👃) and looking at the booklets but I'm afraid of commitment 😢

I do hope you're not put off of simulwatches altogether though!

Oh, no, not at all, but I can only do one at a time and I sometimes like breaks, I'm currently doing Higurashi as part of a reddit/r/anime simulwatch so I'd not be free for any others for a while anyway as that's a longer show. It's the first one I've done since Baccano! was finished.

There are quite a lot concurrently going on with the anime subreddit but it's a bit less personable than this one as the number of people in them are larger in general, even for the quieter ones.

In any event count me out of any planning/discussion on new ones here, though I won't rule out joining one later in the year if people are prepared to organise them.

For what it's worth I enjoyed the ones I attended last year and been keeping an eye on this thread for any that I happen to own but it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks Vincentdante, appreciate it :)

I'm currently doing Higurashi
Oooh Higurashi, very nice, how are you finding it? I really enjoyed that and then tried to do the VNs before a grand re-watch prior to getting into the new series but kept falling asleep trying to play those on Steam at my desktop at the end of long days. Still hoping I can one day nab a steamdeck to make that more likely.
In any event count me out of any planning/discussion on new ones here, though I won't rule out joining one later in the year if people are prepared to organise them.
No worries dude, maybe some day I'll get off my backside and organise one, but hey ho if peeps are busy that is perfectly understandable.

Higurashi is good so far, though it definitely shows it's age animation quality wise, it's not unwatchable by any means.

This was another one that was on my list to watch for a while and just hadn't gotten around to it, in the horror genre I also have "Another" to try sometime as well. I like to mix up genres a bit though so Another would come later I think.

I struggle with VN's full stop because of how much reading is involved, and I have to keep them in the original sub language, so it's just a bit too much for me to keep focus on them. I prefer anime over VN because I can just watch and there isn't tons of text to read, by virtue of the content being cut down to fit into anime length episodes at least.

Higurashi is good so far, though it definitely shows it's age animation quality wise, it's not unwatchable by any means.
I know what you mean and it's one, like Clannad, that based on the animation alone I'm unlikely to have picked up were it not reviewed so highly.

I can struggle with VNs, especially if they're not on something portable like the mobile or switch, and I find the pace a lot slower than just reading a book, as having to constantly click to forward through whilst inevitably dozing off so further delaying finishing them heh. But, they do flesh out stories better so I wish I had better mileage with them.

I also have "Another" to try sometime as well.
I quite enjoyed Another but objectively I'd say it's okay, not amazing, and definitely not Higurashi level for me, but then it is a lot shorter.

With the article about Clamp posted today I was wondering if there'd be any interest in watching xxxholic at some point. Maybe an October simulwatch as its full of spirits. Anyone interested?

I'll also post this in the other simulwatch threads to gauge interest.

Back