Relationships and Romance

women are scary because they threaten the status quo which benefits me, black people are scary because some black people are physically bigger than me, Jewish people are scary because they have more money than me, foreigners are scary because I can't understand their language and they might be plotting against me, old people are scary because they're all too stubborn to listen
You're scared of an awful lot, I shan't tell you of the gathering darkness

But racist/sexist/ageist people being scared? Far from the problem. I'm gonna have to mention the alt right, they are built up of the small number of Nazis, klansmen among other groups - people who are scared won't see themselves as someone superior, which many of these groups do. Stereotypes don't always come out of fear; they come from someone thinking only one thing describes a certain person like black people are always criminals, women are weak minded, Jews are greedy and handle a disproportionate amount of wealth etc
I wouldn't mind someone with an accent or dressing from their culture or something like that, what I can't tolerate though is foreigners in the country not learning English, constantly speaking their own language, I just want to smack them in the mouth until English comes out. Being educated doesn't mean you understand every language, but I do believe if someone goes into another country it's rude and puts them at a disadvantage to not learn the language, Japanese people won't help you if you don't speak a word of Japanese

With the caveat that if this becomes even one tiny degree more inflammatory this topic can be considered locked with extreme prejudice...

Lets be honest women are only scary when they have a weapon in there hand or are Ronda Rousey, but I think your hinting at the whole backlash to feminism which is different from finding women scary because for one the majority of women aren't feminists and don't think women are inferior to men like feminist seem to do, because like it or not stopping a group of people from applying for jobs because the colour of there skin and what's between their legs is wrong no matter how you dress it up.

I like to think that the majority of women in the UK believe in equality even if they do not identify as feminists, but I was hinting at a more general fear. Downplaying women as unscary, slurring the entirety of the feminist movement as the work of a minority of hardcore misandrists; these are both negative reactions to the idea that women are equal to men. I don't see that kind of paranoid reactiveness as a sign of strength.

I've actually never heard this before. I thought the negative stereotypes of black people come from there portrayal in the media, television, moves and rap music, but maybe it is something simple as the Harlem Globetrotters being really tall.

Perhaps you've heard the backhanded compliments about black people being better at athletics but worse at academics, then? I've definitely heard of (British) people being intimidated by people of another race based on physical features alone, to the point of accusing them of crimes because they 'looked' the part. It's true that media portrayals massively aggravate this, and there may be an age gap between us here; back when I was growing up, there weren't nearly as many famous black people in the media to point at. Those who did well laid a very important foundation even though the results haven't always been perfect.

this is a logical fear in the case of Japan because most Japanese people don't speak English or any other language for that matter, and sitting next to someone on a train who might talk to you in a language you don't understand can be very daunting for them.

Mm, though I was actually thinking of people I speak to in the UK with that example. The Japanese media often presents foreigners as erratic, gigantic and intimidating so I feel very aware of that potential gap when I speak to people over there; a lot of (especially younger) Japanese people don't care, though. We have similar mainstream biases in the UK, whether we're aware of them or not. It would be a bit presumptuous to believe otherwise just because we're on the other side of the curtain.

But racist/sexist/ageist people being scared? Far from the problem. I'm gonna have to mention the alt right, they are built up of the small number of Nazis, klansmen among other groups - people who are scared won't see themselves as someone superior, which many of these groups do. Stereotypes don't always come out of fear; they come from someone thinking only one thing describes a certain person like black people are always criminals, women are weak minded, Jews are greedy and handle a disproportionate amount of wealth etc

People who want to force people who think/look different to them out of their country/community don't come across as being anything other than scared to me. If people weren't scared of criminals, weak-mindedness or greed, those stereotypes would hold little power in the first place. It could well be personal experience but all of the racist/sexist people I've met have been openly motivated by fear.

what I can't tolerate though is foreigners in the country not learning English, constantly speaking their own language, I just want to smack them in the mouth until English comes out. Being educated doesn't mean you understand every language, but I do believe if someone goes into another country it's rude and puts them at a disadvantage to not learn the language, Japanese people won't help you if you don't speak a word of Japanese

This part actually chilled me. Violent impulses just because someone doesn't speak the language of the country they are in? British people seldom learn to use the languages of countries they visit (or even live in for a year or two) in any functional way. I don't want to live in a world where you have to have fluency in a language to deserve to see a country (and frankly the fact that I don't think I do live in that world speaks volumes about my personal sense of privilege).

Also, as a matter of point, most Japanese people I've met will bend over backwards to try to help you if you don't speak a word of Japanese. I agree that it's rather rude not to make the effort, but rudeness isn't a crime on its own.

R

Hey peeps,

So over the last couple of months I've been hanging out with a young lady. I've come to adore her on every level. She's the only person other than my ex who I've really felt this kind of way about, whose company I just enjoy infinitely. There was that crush I developed on someone about this time last year, but that was very, very different, and in the end both of us realised we don't even enjoy the other's company at all. It was a good learning experience though.

I'm not at all expecting my feelings to be reciprocated by this wonderful young woman though. She's one of those people who almost make you believe that good things really do just happen to good people who work hard. She's one of the most intelligent, thoughtful and lovely people I've met, and I can't imagine a person who wouldn't fall head over heels for her. Thus, I'm well aware that if leagues exist I'm about 20,000 below her.

But that alone wouldn't prevent me from confessing my feelings and being honest. The thing is that she's leaving the country in a month. I know I'd probably leave it to the last minute, and is there any point in telling her if she isn't even in the same country, is it just an exercise in complete futility and silliness? Of course, I'm the type of hopeless romantic that would be more than happy to love someone on the other side of the world, and also she may well end up coming back in he not very distant future. But what do you think, should I still tell her even when it seems so hopeless?
Traitor! we're GEEKS here we're meant to be forever alone!
really though awesome you found someone you feel that way for (what is this "love" thing feeble humans talk about?) I have to say though, since I'm not a fan of long distance my advice is don't, long distance relationships can be quite hurtful as things change quickly, and neither of you are there to sort things out. if she's coming back how long is it?
one of the last long distances I heard of worked though. my brother is now happily married, but he moved over there and I got a job, I rarely get the chance to see him now

Ah, that old classic. To admit your feelings to someone at the risk of massively creeping them out because they have no romantic interest in you whatsoever and from that moment on they'll be uncomfortable around you forever and might not want to see you again at all, or to not tell them in order to at least preserve your friendship, but have to eventually watch them fall in love with somebody else and you'll be uncomfortable around them forever and might not want to see them again at all.

I vaguely remember there was once a third possibility where you admit your attraction to someone and they reciprocate, but I'm not sure if that still happens any more.

I would just tell her, but I'm simple-minded like that. Better to regret action than inaction! It could also be better if you could tell her sooner rather than later so she has time to digest it and respond one way or the other before she's so busy thinking about her travel to concentrate on you, if that makes sense. I feel it also makes it easier to keep it at least superficially casual rather than a movie-style dramatic confession which will make the gloom of her leaving feel even harsher. If she reacts poorly, there's more chance for closure.

To be honest, Vash, just handing her your post the way you've written it (maybe without the 20,000 leagues part, you don't need to bash yourself) would be a good start. Your attitude is sweet and the very opposite of pushy, so it's not likely to make things awkward unless the pressure of confessing makes you feel that way.

R

But that alone wouldn't prevent me from confessing my feelings and being honest. The thing is that she's leaving the country in a month. I know I'd probably leave it to the last minute, and is there any point in telling her if she isn't even in the same country, is it just an exercise in complete futility and silliness? Of course, I'm the type of hopeless romantic that would be more than happy to love someone on the other side of the world, and also she may well end up coming back in he not very distant future. But what do you think, should I still tell her even when it seems so hopeless?
I would suggest keeping in pleasant contact while cautiously respecting boundaries. If you remain friendly and supportive without revealing any desires that might not be reciprocable, eventually you'll get a better idea of what is and isn't tenable. A confession at this point would be risking too much, but this should not stop you from preserving the best of terms.

@Vashdaman

Hey, you took a risk in telling her how you feel, that's a big thing in itself. Now you know where you stand, and you've not lost your treasured friendship. On top of that, she was cool and gracious about it, which is a testament to her personality.

Best of luck dude :)

In case anyone was curious about how this turned out, she has a boyfriend unfortunately :(
But I will say that her response was every bit as gracious and sweet and understanding as I had hoped it would be. She's a real gem *sigh*
I really don't think this has negatively impacted our friendship at all. She's more than cool about it, and I feel cool about it too. It was a good try.

not trying to be a wet blanket or the whole dang bucket but, was she single before you asked? or where you friends for that time and didn't know? cause my understanding is like, friends know. must've never come up because your "crush blinders" can happen even with friends. oh well, at least it doesn't deny the rest of the ladies a great guy, eh?

Irrelevant his problem was that he's wasn't Weinstein enough in his approach, he needs to be more forward and straight out ask her........ Do you want to get a hotel room or some ****.
could have worked in the short run, that is if he didn't want it to last. thing is, if she was going away for a while, would doing that hurt the friendship when she came back?

could have worked in the short run, that is if he didn't want it to last. thing is, if she was going away for a while, would doing that hurt the friendship when she came back?
Doubt it it's only sex, she wants him to be forward but his self doubts and fear of ruining the relationship are holding him back.

I read the first two lines then got bored, but there nothing wrong with casual sex ( boyfriend or no boyfriend) literally all my adult relationships have started from casual hookups.

He doesn't want that, though, and as he was specifically getting advice on what he wanted it would be a bit redundant to fly the casual partnership flag in the middle of the conversation.

If you read the thread before replying it will make discussion easier ;)

R

Yeah but really the whole moral issue should fall on the person in the actual committed relationship, I personally think he should have smashed.

I think any sane, moral person would think that trying to lure someone in a relationship into an affair to selfishly satisfy their own lust and then try to act as if it's all the other person's fault and nothing to do with you is an awful, awful thing to do.

Vash said they are friends. A friend would not try to ruin a friend's relationship, even if they're trying to cheat, because that is wrong.
If Vash was also friends with the boyfriend then yes, but if he doesn't know him then it's ok, because she's a grown women and the only person responsible for maintaining her relationship is herself.

Having feelings for someone is sadly never as rosy as fiction implies; the self-doubt is absolutely crushing. The courage it takes to confess is commendable and while you may not have the result you hoped for Vash, the result sounds positive and unlike some of the discussion here, mature:p. I've personally experienced both outcomes - friendships have grown distance to post-confession awkwardness, while others I was able to save by quickly diverting discussion to shared hobbies and the like. Every experience is something to learn from though, to better prepare us for the time when it really counts :).

Irrelevant his problem was that he's wasn't Weinstein enough in his approach, he needs to be more forward and straight out ask her........ Do you want to get a hotel room or some ****.
For future reference people, perhaps best to not take relationship advice from someone who thinks you should act more like a person who has been charged with rape and sex abuse, sparking a historic global scandal. Whether trolling or serious, that's an abhorrently disgusting comment to make.

Back