Relationships and Romance

I honestly wish I could report that anything has changed for me but five years down the line, I'm even more convinced than ever that people are just unfathomable and unreasonable and overcomplicate everything and I don't think I want to go through the painful, draining, life-wrecking experience of loving a real person ever again. Once upon a time I had hope, instilled in me by well-meaning people and their relentlessly upbeat bull**** that "you'll find someone" or "it'll happen eventually" but hope is just the stupidity that is blind faith by another name and all that's happened is that now I look old and less attractive and I feel old and less attractive. At this point there's only really one thing for me to look forward to:

yX7L7E9.jpg

If the powers that be decide to make such technology illegal, I will genuinely become a terrorist.

I'm even more convinced than ever that people are just unfathomable and unreasonable and overcomplicate everything
Yep. Couldn't agree more. (Sadly.)
well-meaning people and their relentlessly upbeat bull**** that "you'll find someone" or "it'll happen eventually"
I was also told this recently, but I know in my heart of hearts that it is not true.
It kind of paints well-meaning people into a bit of an awkward corner, though: they're unlikely to say "No, it's completely beyond you, so if you have your heart set on things like that, you might at some point have to reconsider how much your continuing existence is worth."

@ayase: Does that picture represent what I think it does? Robotics?

Pretty sure that kind of thing wouldn't work for me, personally speaking...

I mean, this is just a true fact. A romance for the most ugly, pathetic, unattractive characters can simply be willed into existence at the whim of the author, if they should so feel like. Stories are controlled by grand puppet masters who can write whatever they please, whereas in real life, there isn't anyone pulling the strings, if you lose the genetic lottery and are dealt a bad hand of generally unattractive features, social anxiety or other such issues, there's no one who can throw you a bone, you're just stuck. Not to imply any of that is applicable to you, of course, I'm just rambling...
I shall counter-ramble to this saying everyone has different tastes. unless you have a face-covering birthmark, have a birth defect or well your face has literally been on fire, no one is really born "ugly" it's just most people will look for something like symmetry in your face or something, and that's where the standard of "beauty" goes onto a sort of spectrum. a man with brilliant facial symmetry, a square jaw, a modest nose etc will probably be asked to become a model for something, a man that isn't that will still get dates.
I'm gonna sound like the hopefuls who are never right but it does happen where confidence, personality, status and things beyond looks bring couples together, your 9 or 10 isn't objective, it's based solely on the opinion of whoever says it. looks are a good opener but you'd have no idea who that person is or wether you could stand them for 5 seconds.
talking, hanging out with that person and actually making an effort to create a functional platonic or romantic relationship is what actually happens, not looking at someone then screwing their brains out, unless you have a lot of one night stands.
I don't know for sure, but some blogs and forums I've seen suggest that people aren't making that effort anymore, especially young people who care more about social media then talking to the people around them. I know I haven't made much effort, I'm abit anxious about speaking to people, like they won't like, understand or even listen to me, so I don't make the effort to speak to people and that's on me, there are several reasons but for whichever one people have stopped making an effort to build inter-personal relationships, not the end of the world though, just means everyone has more of their own free time. I wonder how happy people in general are doing that though, I wonder if their lonelier then ever. I work long hours, I have to cook for myself do my own shopping etc. and it just feels I wake up to the same struggle, days when I work seem like wasted days

Ugly isn’t a problem. Pathetic certainly can be, though nobody is inherently pathetic and it’s a label that isn’t immediately obvious in the vast majority of cases. And unattractive is sort of the result determined by someone else’s judgement, rather than a fixed starting point. I’m sure we all have famous hunks and beauties we personally don’t find attractive, right?

I do think that worrying over looks only makes sense if you yourself only find looks attractive in a mate. And it’s been said before that that genuinely is what floats a lot of people’s boats. Personally I’m very unappealing visually so I’m a strong believer in playing to other strengths!

(Incidentally I don’t think my partner is the most handsome person I’ve ever seen. How can anyone possibly compete with all of these anime/game characters that way?)

R

I shall counter-ramble to this saying everyone has different tastes. unless you have a face-covering birthmark, have a birth defect or well your face has literally been on fire, no one is really born "ugly" it's just most people will look for something like symmetry in your face or something, and that's where the standard of "beauty" goes onto a sort of spectrum. a man with brilliant facial symmetry, a square jaw, a modest nose etc will probably be asked to become a model for something, a man that isn't that will still get dates.
I'm gonna sound like the hopefuls who are never right but it does happen where confidence, personality, status and things beyond looks bring couples together, your 9 or 10 isn't objective, it's based solely on the opinion of whoever says it. looks are a good opener but you'd have no idea who that person is or wether you could stand them for 5 seconds.
talking, hanging out with that person and actually making an effort to create a functional platonic or romantic relationship is what actually happens, not looking at someone then screwing their brains out, unless you have a lot of one night stands.
I don't know for sure, but some blogs and forums I've seen suggest that people aren't making that effort anymore, especially young people who care more about social media then talking to the people around them. I know I haven't made much effort, I'm abit anxious about speaking to people, like they won't like, understand or even listen to me, so I don't make the effort to speak to people and that's on me, there are several reasons but for whichever one people have stopped making an effort to build inter-personal relationships, not the end of the world though, just means everyone has more of their own free time. I wonder how happy people in general are doing that though, I wonder if their lonelier then ever. I work long hours, I have to cook for myself do my own shopping etc. and it just feels I wake up to the same struggle, days when I work seem like wasted days

I just find it rather telling that after 2 decades of life not a single member of the opposite sex has even found me remotely attractive in any way, shape or form says a lot about myself. Perhaps my personality is just absurdly awful too. Writing that post, it wasn't really my intent to suggest that attractiveness is only limited to physical attributes, I meant people that can't make up for a lack of looks with some amazing personality either, those are the people who are just straight up stuck.

after 2 decades of life not a single member of the opposite sex has even found me remotely attractive in any way, shape or form
Ah, but can you really be 100% sure of that? I'm sure @Rui can add to this particular argument of not being aware of what someone else might be feeling.

For my own part, the last (and only!) time that a member of the opposite sex ever expressed any interest in me was all the way back in primary 3! I'm in my mid-30s now! Even at the time it didn't seem quite right, though — like it... wasn't really her idea... or something? :confused:

She came to resent me in the end anyway, because I was never popular at school, and people used to tease her for what she did even years later.

Yet another hard-luck story.

I think it's from Blade Runner 2049. So a pleasure replicant like Pris from the first film (just watch out if they achieve self awareness!)
Joi's actually just a companion AI rather than a replicant (although personally I'm more of a Luv person, but I'm sure there'd be options).

I'm not sure a glorified flashlight can replace a human being and an actual relationship but okay
I don't think humans are really any different from machines. We're just built from biological materials and programmed by our genetics and experiences. We can reprogramme humans to believe and act differently (the programming of society is why we no longer behave like animals, people programmed by different societies behave differently and believe different things - None of it is natural, if you were born in Tibet or Saudi Arabia to different parents and had a different upbringing you'd be a different person), so I don't think a machine programmed to care about a person is any less fake than a person being programmed by the inputs of their surroundings, influences and biology to care for (or stop caring for) another person.

Could you tell if a person's love for you was real or fake, if they were good enough at faking? While obviously individual, I think there's still a pretty standard set of parameters for what most people want from a partner which would be easy enough for an AI to emulate - After all, we get emotionally invested in and affected by fiction, so an AI could surely make you feel joy or sadness in the same way. I think if you believe an AI could be programmed to say hurtful things that would upset people then it could certainly make you fall in love with it.

Last edited:
I don't think humans are really any different from machines. We're just built from biological materials and programmed by our genetics and experiences. We can reprogramme humans to believe and act differently (the programming of society is why we no longer behave like animals, people programmed by different societies behave differently and believe different things - None of it is natural, if you were born in Tibet or Saudi Arabia to different parents and had a different upbringing you'd be a different person), so I don't think a machine programmed to care about a person is any less fake than a person being programmed by the inputs of their surroundings, influences and biology to care for (or stop caring for) another person.

Could you tell if a person's love for you was real or fake, if they were good enough at faking? While obviously individual, I think there's still a pretty standard set of parameters from what most people want from a partner which would be easy enough for an AI to emulate - After all, we get emotionally invested in and affected by fiction, so an AI could surely make you feel joy or sadness in the same way. I think if you believe an AI could be programmed to say hurtful things that would upset people then it could certainly make you fall in love with it.

At least with a real person you know you've earned the love you get. You met a random person, totally by chance, and managed to convince them through your own charm, your own wit, your own appearance, your own thoughts, that you are a worthy person to love. There's no sense of that with a hypothetical robot. You just force them to love you. It doesn't matter what you do or think or feel, the robot would have to love you regardless, it would just be so false. Not love, just an emulation of what it might be like. To me, that might be as bad, if not some degree worse, than just being alone.

From my experience, you just need to be in the right place at the right time with the right person/people. For me personally I’ve never done well in the relationship game, a mixture of not trusting people and well just not finding people I’m interested in but it was my best friend inviting me to a gathering of sorts - a bunch of folks meeting around my area for sight village (a show of latest gadgets/tech geared towards the blind/visually impaired) where I met his ex-wife. Things then kind of just happened and now 18months later I’m still in a relationship with her. In my case it was total luck. Over 2 decades of no significant relationship swiftly followed by a serious relationship thanks to being in the right place at the right time, I wouldn’t say there’s someone just waiting around the corner for everyone but you never know who you could bump into and where it could go.

Also I’m still besties with said friend, thankfully that was my first time meeting the OH and never knew them as a couple so that probably helps with there being no awkwardness there.

I don't think a machine programmed to care about a person is any less fake than a person being programmed by the inputs of their surroundings
I think you meant to put the word "care" in inverted commas in that sentiment.

Also, for me, there's a big problem with the phrase in that Blade Runner pic. "Everything you want to hear"? What utter boll*cks.

I'm sure the phrase was meant as a scathing commentary in its original context.

At least with a real person you know you've earned the love you get. You met a random person, totally by chance, and managed to convince them through your own charm, your own wit, your own appearance, your own thoughts, that you are a worthy person to love.
I've had enough of trying and failing at this, it's too painful and soul crushing (to tie in to what @Captaaainuniverse said on the previous page, yes I've given up. I'm perfectly fine and confident in social situations (now) but I just never find that anyone I have feelings for has any for me) I no longer even care if it's fake. I don't think I could even tell the difference because in the back of my mind I'd probably believe it was fake even when coming from a real person. I expect relationships with people to come to end and the thought that I'm wasting my time or that I'm going to be left alone again will always be there. In general I don't trust people. I don't believe they're being genuine or honest, and past experience has taught me that time and care I invest in people results in zero payoff and considerable harm to myself. I don't know how I would cure something like that now, I can't just start believing in them again and be all chipper about it. The rot has set in and the parts of my belief system that have rotted away are gone forever.

I'm sure the phrase was meant as a scathing commentary in its original context.
I'm sure it was. But I don't necessarily agree with all this fiction and hypothesising about loving AIs being somehow bad or deficient. People are fake - We're products in just the same way machines are, just products of our upbringings and environments, with people you simply have the added hassle of trying to find one that's received the correct programming to find you attractive (and who you also have the correct programming to find attractive).

Last edited:
Back