Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
City War (1988)

A brazen attempt to cash in on the success of megahit A Better Tomorrow, this Hong Kong crime potboiler reteams stars Chow Yun Fat and Ti Lung on the right side of the law, as a pair of mismatched cops squaring off against a rogue triad. Although let down by a tired, old-fashioned script, the film is nicely shot and enlivened by the genuine rapport between its central duo, both of whom seem to be playing against type. The action is a long time in coming and certainly more rough and ready than John Woo's output, but the gun-rattling finale is also well staged and sure to please anyone interested in heroic bloodshed filmmaking.

Lockout (2012)

Squint a bit and you might suspect this was a cheeky unofficial remake of Escape From New York, but in practice, it plays more like Die Hard in Space, as Guy Pearce's ex-CIA quip machine is sent to rescue the president's daughter from captivity in space prison (sadly not on fire). It's watchable fare, but the constant stream of nudges, winks and general in-jokes slowly begin to grate, and action setpieces become increasingly limp towards the finish. The film almost gets away with it, largely thanks to a likeable turn from Pearce, but, by the time the hilariously convoluted denouement rolls around, I felt it had just outstayed its welcome.

Divergent - 7.5/10

Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Feels like a slicker, more violent take on the Hunger Games model. That said, it lacks some of the grandeur and definitely goes on for way too long. The ending is pretty pap too. The characters are well realised though, and the concept behind the whole thing really stands up. I'll definitely be looking out for the sequels.

Shelter/6 souls - 7/10

The first part was really interesting but when the story unfolds it didn't strike me as good anymore. I also didn't like the ending of it.
But I still enjoyed it so I'm giving it a 7 than a 5.

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (third time, twice in Cinema). 9.5/10.

I looooove this film! Finally they nailed the character of Spidey! And Peter does not look like he is gonna cry every 2 minutes! And Stone is a huuuuge improvement over Dunst.
Pissed Sony moved 3 to 2018, booo!!

Dune

This movie gets a lot of hate, and me being naive and not read the novels beforehand (y only previous exposure to Dune was via the video games) I decided to check it out. I actually thought it was alright, there were some moments that were confusing (parts that I imagine were glossed over in the film, but elaborated better in the novels), but still, I was expecting much worse. That said the special edition of the film still managed to clock almost 3 hours, I imagine if every little detail of the novel was present here, then it would be even longer. It obviously sets itself up for a sequel, which is disappointing. I guess it's time to read the books.

7/10

memorium said:
Dune

This movie gets a lot of hate, and me being naive and not read the novels beforehand (y only previous exposure to Dune was via the video games) I decided to check it out. I actually thought it was alright, there were some moments that were confusing (parts that I imagine were glossed over in the film, but elaborated better in the novels), but still, I was expecting much worse. That said the special edition of the film still managed to clock almost 3 hours, I imagine if every little detail of the novel was present here, then it would be even longer. It obviously sets itself up for a sequel, which is disappointing. I guess it's time to read the books.

7/10

Have you seen the 2 SciFi channel mini series? Dune and Children of Dune. Aside from some shaky cgi they're very well done.

serpantino said:
memorium said:
Dune

7/10

Have you seen the 2 SciFi channel mini series? Dune and Children of Dune. Aside from some shaky cgi they're very well done.
I actually haven't, I might look into those next, then pick up the books whenever I get the chance.

Chungking Express (1994)

Wong Kar Wai transposes the French Nouvelle Vague to Hong Kong in this quirky drama about two cops and the very different women they become involved with. Genuinely unsure where to be with this one; it's wonderfully shot and impeccably acted, but somehow I felt it was a little too self-consciously cool and lacking in substance. It's possible I might enjoy it more on a second viewing, but my immediate reaction is that I also felt the two halves of the story seem to have little to do with each other and I'd have appreciated a more obvious reason for presenting them together in this way.

Faye Wong can have the top off my egg anytime though.

The Call. With Halle Berry in it.

Worth a watch, not amazing. Good waste of time though if you find yourself in a slump. Watched it with my Mama :)

Oh! I also rewatched Coraline AGAIN when it was on E4 on Saturday. Had Charlie asleep on my belly whilst watching, was cute seeing him go up and down as i breathed hehe.

I LOVE Coraline. It's always going to be a 10/10 film for me. I adore that kind of animation and oh my gosh, I just love Teri Hatcher as Mother and Other Mother. She's so perfect <3

Everyone needs to see this film. You'll fall in love and never forget it. I love the music too, how it's kinda of nursey rhymish but hella creepy <3

-Danielle- said:
I LOVE Coraline.
I thought that read Cocaine haha!! I am very tired today.

Godzilla (2014)- 9.5/10. Just everything I was hoping it would be and the final fight was the second the greatest moment I have witnessed in a cinema, (the first being able to witness the end of The Dark Knight trilogy). Been a pretty good summer for movies, now roll on Intersteller, A walk among the tombstones and TMNT!

Professor Irony said:
Chungking Express (1994)

Wong Kar Wai transposes the French Nouvelle Vague to Hong Kong in this quirky drama about two cops and the very different women they become involved with. Genuinely unsure where to be with this one; it's wonderfully shot and impeccably acted, but somehow I felt it was a little too self-consciously cool and lacking in substance. It's possible I might enjoy it more on a second viewing, but my immediate reaction is that I also felt the two halves of the story seem to have little to do with each other and I'd have appreciated a more obvious reason for presenting them together in this way.

Faye Wong can have the top off my egg anytime though.

It definitely bears repeat viewing. I had to study Chungking Express for my film studies A Level and it probably remains one of my favourite films of all time. The cinematography is visually stunning - it gets that whole 90s urban aesthetic probably better than any other film I've seen (and weirdly feels like it has a lot in common with a lot of the background shots of the 1995 GITS movie).

The soundtrack is stunning too - from the endless repeats of California Dreaming to the jazzy stuff and the Cranberries cover.

Yes, it's a style over substance film - but there's nuggets of pure magic in there, like the takeaway owner who says 'why not try something new?'.

On reflection, it's possible that I wasn't entirely satisfied because I had expected something different than what I got from it, so I could definitely see myself revisiting it. I'll probably try to get Fallen Angels in first though; I gather that was originally intended to be a third vignette in Chungking Express and I've seen some folk suggest that watching the two back to back is a good experience.

Threads (1984)

This infamous BBC dramatised documentary about a nuclear strike against the UK, and its aftermath as witnessed by the residents of Sheffield, clearly owes a great deal to earlier film The War Game, but it remains a harrowing, haunting work in its own right, filled with brutal and often shocking imagery more chilling than any fantasy-based horror.

'71 (2014)

A tough, old-fashioned survival thriller about a hapless young squaddie lost on the streets of Belfast during the height of the Troubles, '71 is an intense and often brutal experience that I feel actually recalls more Walter Hill's Southern Comfort than, as the critics keep suggesting, Assault on Precinct 13. The film withers slightly into more familiar territory toward the end and, while taking great pains to remain even handed, shies away from trying to pass any serious comment on the politics of the time, but there's no denying the stark, raw power of the early scenes where our protagonist is flung headlong into a horrific situation he cannot begin to comprehend.

Nightcrawler (2014)

A grim glimpse into the world of freelance newsgatherers, shot through with a vein of satirical gallows humour, I found it an oddly remote and unsurprising experience, but one made good by an absolute acting tour de force from Jake Gyllenhaal, as the pitiable and childlike, yet utterly monstrous ambulance chaser Lou Bloom.

Intersteller

Just like Apes I went in not watching any trailers or anything, boy! was this film awesome! Hans Zimmer score was just too good, that organ esque motif throughout the film just gave man goosebumps, McConaughey sure can act! A nice wrap up for 2014, on too 2015 now!

9/10.

After Earth.

6.5/10. Wasn't too bad. Easy Sunday viewing for sure.

Muppets Most Wanted.

7/10. Watched last night. It had funny moments, especially for a U certificate. All the cameos were super.

Nothing will ever beat A Muppets Christmas Carol. EVER. My all time fave that I've watched every Christmas since the film first came out :)

Frozen:

So, I finally had a chance to watch “Frozen” and I’m admittedly very mixed, with these questions and thoughts hanging over my head:

1) What was the point of Anna having her memories altered to make her forget about how Elsa accidentally hurt her if it wasn’t brought up at all? I was at least expecting Elsa to finally reveal it, only to be told by Anna that she doesn’t care. Anna never found out that the reason for Elsa's cold shoulder (oh, I said it!) was to protect her, which could have been a huge bridge to them patching up their relationship.
2) In addition to that, she was made to forget about the existence of magic but didn’t even flinch when made aware of the existence of Elsa’s magic, Olaf or the trolls?
3) What was the point of Olaf? Seriously. He wasn’t really that funny, he didn’t add much to the story at all. I felt like he was just there so Disney could make snowman merchandise. Considering Olaf’s appearance earlier in the movie, I saw potential for him to be used to remind Elsa of her childhood innocence that helps bring her and Anna back together, but nah, let’s have a yellow snow joke instead - that’ll do.
4) Why was Hans, the prince of a foreign territory, placed in charge of Arendelle instead of the advisors who would have looked after the country’s affairs before Elsa and Anna were considered “of age”?
5) How would Hans’ plan have even worked in the first place? He never married Anna, so surely he would have had no claim to the throne at all?
6) Everyone in the movie had serious issues that were never really addressed. Anna was so naive that she would agree to marry a guy she had only just met and I was never made to feel that Anna wisened up or that Elsa managed to overcome the fear over her powers (the whole “love solves everything” miracle ending was extremely lazy), Kristoff is still a weirdo who talks to a reindeer and Olaf still never had a reason for existing.
7) The whole “love solves everything” deal. Look Anna, you turning into ice and being brought back by love was cute and all, but Ash Ketchum turned to stone and was brought back by the tears of Pokémon 16 years ago.
8) Considering the whole Hans thing, I found the romance between Anna and Kristoff at the end to be really odd. Sure, Kristoff actually went out of his way to save her and had no ulterior motives, but who’s Anna going to fall in love with tomorrow? Olaf?! I bet there’s fanart of that somewhere on the internet.
8) Again, what was the point in Olaf?

The animation was pretty good (even when watching in standard definition - even if Elsa’s face did bug me for some reason) and the songs were pretty nice (I’m admittedly not a huge musical fan, so of course I wasn’t going to be raving about them). The “Let It Go” sequence in particular was particularly neat. I felt that the story needed a lot of work though. Ultimately though, I don’t feel that the film was Oscar worthy, especially considering the competition it faced - “The Wind Rises” for example, was so much better. Shame the majority of people voting for that category hadn’t even seen any of the films - never mind only watching “Frozen”.

Also, to make the film 10x more interesting - listen to the songs with the mindset of them being about dicks. “Conceal, don’t feel” is the best advice you could give a teenage boy.

4/10

(P.S. how cool would it have been if Elsa had went full psycho? I’d pay to see that in the sequel).

Also, the first one to say “Let It Go” is getting shanked with a rusty hatchet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back