Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tachi- said:
WAS made by the same guy who created JUno, and in honesty i could do with that time back, juno was a waste of money.
He directed - didn't write. Diablo Cody created Juno.

And, fair enough. I think you were just in the wrong mindset for the film though.

Jaymii said:
Tachi- said:
WAS made by the same guy who created JUno, and in honesty i could do with that time back, juno was a waste of money.
He directed - didn't write. Diablo Cody created Juno.

And, fair enough. I think you were just in the wrong mindset for the film though.

Yeah i guess i just don't appreciate films like that.

OT:

The Green Hornet 8.5/10

Funny and destructive (as many films starring seth rogen usualy are) it was a good laugh and enjoyed watching it, cam diaz is in there too which was a surprise. will defo watch again :)

Kick-Ass 8/10

Starring nicholas cage and the weird girl from that vampire film i saw a few weeks back (let me in) another "regular guy becomes a superhero" film, i'd seen the last half of it before, so it was good to watch it again, another superbad star, christopher mintz plasse (fogell) starring in a film i enjoy. it seems like superbad was a great stepping stone for a fair few comedy actors.

he'll even one guy who only had a single sentence of script in superbad went on to star in Kick-Ass and sex drive. (Clarke Duke

Insidious

Fairly good film, I'm apprehensive about horror films because the trailers make the film out to be scary, yet when you watch them they're pathetic, this film proved me wrong however, although whether that was more down to the fact that the sound queues continuously shocked me than the scenes themselves I don't know, the ending was a bit lame though, however they get mad props from me for randomly throwing in a Tiny Tim song.

8/10

The Cat Returns

My fourth Studio Ghibli movie, I find it unusual that the protagonist this time around is a teenager rather than the usual children, the dub was fairly decent and I was quite surprised to find that the guy who did the Baron is the same guy who played Robin Hood in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, like Spirited Away it had very good pacing and I am now stumped as to which one of the two is my favorite Ghibli film (so far).

8/10

Tachi- said:
I expected more from it because of who was in it and that it was a comedy-drama film. It had very slight jokes... but i thought it was atleast going to go abit further than it did, if he ended up getting the girl, flying into the sunset i'd say "fair enough, it went from a guy happy to travel across the usa alone, to finding someone, to not being sure about his job and way of life, to getting his life the way it was and then getting the girl and flying off to a warm place with a smile on his face.

but it didn't i thought that we where going to be shown the suicide of the character or he turns into an alcoholic. or something funny happens at the wedding, or Zack sticks to his threats at the start of the film and comes crashing into clooneys life and bugging him.

If i was director i could have thought up endless directions to take it. But then again it WAS made by the same guy who created JUno, and in honesty i could do with that time back, juno was a waste of money.

Never EVER expect comedy-dramas or extensions thereof to be funny. You'll always be disappointed. I watched the Royal Tenenbaums expecting a comedy (since that's what the darn tv guide said...) and it was chock full of comedy actors I like and then it had maybe 3-5 parts where I laughed. If that. And it was actually incredibly dark, especially that wrist slitting. That really made me wince and you don't even see the actual cut...

Hellboy 6/10

Nothing especially wrong with it, very well directed and acted, objectively it'd be closer to a 7 or 8, but it just didn't really get me going. Plus Hellboy is terrible at fighting, he spends most of the time getting his butt whupped. What's more he rarely seems hurt from it, so you can't say "showing him lose makes him more vulnerable" it just makes him seem incompetent.

Decent film, but there are plenty of better ones out there, including Del Toro's own Blade II.

Summer Wars

I've been waiting for about a year for this, (yes I know it came out in February/March, but I completely forgot about it, besides it seems more fitting to watch it at this time of year anyway), and I have to say I am very impressed, you rarely have a movie filled to the brim with such a diverse and lively cast of characters and a decent plot, this along with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time can easily rival some of Studio Ghibli's works.

8/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 7/10

I didn't like it as much as 1 or 2 (I really quite liked 2) but better than 3. Blackbeard was underused despite excellent casting and he basically does nothing much beyond his first appearance (which is awesome) and a disappointing duel at the end. He's basically the Sao Feng of the movie.

Jack is the star, though Penelope Cruz holds up ok, as do stalwarts Barbossa and Gibbs. The new couple, Missionary and Mermaid kill the movie dead whenever they are onscreen together, which is a shame because alone the missionary's character wasn't too bad IMO.

The very end also reminded me strongly of the post-show portions of Kenan and Kel (if you've seen it you'll know why) The best action sequence of the film is in london, which is very nicely done but kind of makes the movie the reverse of at worlds end, with the big action happening at the start and not much happening for the rest of the film.

The Armerican. 7.5/10

I was expecting a action film, the box has clooney holding a gun and looking serious.

It works really well on the acting side, it wasn't an action film for the most part. The acting skill of clooney is awe inspiring, the paranoid and stressed emotions that he conveyed where very impressing. The start of the film was a little strange and the news paper shots lead me to believe that Clooney was some sort of prostitute using paranoid person with a gun.

the film starts off in sweden i believe, i can't remember exactly where it said but it starts off with clooney and a woman in a log cabin in the middle of a forest, snow covering pretty much everything and what appears to be a lake too. The two go for a walk and moments into it the woman spots some tracks in the snow, saying they look like deer tracks. Clooney then says that deer travel in 2's and the tracks aren't convincing enough. moments after than a sniper tries to kill them, clooney kills the sniper then shoots the woman in the back, its weird because it doesn't give you any back story or why he killed her bar having to piece together an assumption that she lead them to him.... very loosely based assumption though, its never actually covered.

It shoots forward to Italy, where clooney lives on edge, seems very anxious about something and very paranoid (constantly checking over his shoulder) as if on the run. it becomes more clear as the film progresses that he is some sort of gun maker for a company thats never actually explained.

He's met by a woman who is a assassin, who asks for a specific rifle to be made. clooney befriends a priest and has various parts of the film where him and the priest talk about repenting sins and the priest tries to get clooney to confess to clear his soul. this doesn't happen. Throughout the film you get random clips of him reading the local papers and prostitutes seem to be being killed.

Clooney frequents a brothel and to a certain woman everytime. who he eventually quits his work for the company so that they can run away together and start a new life.

A swedish man who's been tailing clooney tries to kill him, this leads to a car chase and the man is killed by clooney without too much problem.

The assassin who clooney is making the gun for, later uses the very gun clooney makes to try and kill clooney, but the mechanism has been purposely sabotaged so that she dies when the shot is fired. The man in charge of the "company" comes out of the shadows and tries to kill clooney but ends up losing.

THinking about the film as i write this.... the part at the start of the film may actually be what happens AFTER the main story finishes (though at the end of the film clooney is shot and appears to die) I'll have to rewatch it and see if the woman is the same at the beginning as the one he later meets.

Its was a good film, though it wasn't an easy watch, you have to put alot of the blanks together and piece together whats happened to whats happening.

Not what i expected, but a good film none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hangover 2 9/10

Not going to go into it too much but another bloody amazing film about the "wolfpack" :p

Hoping there will be a 3rd.

Attack the Block

Aliens taking place in a South London tower block. After the opening images and music hinted at John Carpenter's The Thing, I was expecting something similar only with London accents and comedy however the aliens on offer are more beautiful than terrifying - truly beautiful. The references came thick and fast and yet I greeted them with a smile rather than a laugh as I did with Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

Not enough horror or comedy, the most interesting points are the depiction of urban Britons which I found so very real and visceral thanks to the language and the excellent acting. That said everything about the film is excellent from direction to script and acting, it just didn't move me much.

7/10

Funny you should mention Scott Pilgrim, from the trailers the aliens looked like that thing Scott conjures in the fight against the Katyanagi Twins' dragons

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Funny you should mention Scott Pilgrim, from the trailers the aliens looked like that thing Scott conjures in the fight against the Katyanagi Twins' dragons
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that, they do look awfully similar

How to train your dragon 9/10

Really enjoyed this, me and the gf sat down and watched it on saturday night. The story is predictable but easy to watch, the characters are likeable and the whole thing was very nice to watch. Will defo watch it again :)

Toy Story 8/10 Great film, was just something to watch but i'd seen it so many times its sort of lost its once special nostalgia factor and appeal.

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows part 1 8/10
I'd seen it before, but not in the last 8 or so months. Watching it at 3.50 isn't advisable but was just something to watch before bed. The films okay, the start of it seems like its going well...but then it gets to the "camping" stage which seems to drag down the film around the 3/4 of the way through mark.

Percy jackson and the lightening theif 9/10
Good film, enjoyed the story and the actors where picked well. couldn't help but wonder why they cast percy as a guy who looks like zac efron. is that the was things are done these days?

Inception 8/10

Finally got around to watching this. I had meant to for ages, and the outline made me think of Paprika. However it was a very different beast overall.

Generally I liked it. It was clever and quite fun. However in places it seemed woefully undeveloped. We get no backstory of the technology, most of the supporting cast don't really do much, and the ending seemed overly rushed. As a concept and a bit of fun it is very good. As something which makes you think beyond the film (Which for all its faults, similar fare like the Matrix managed) it doesn't deliver.

Shame. I expected it to be excellent, in the end it was merely pretty good.

The Boat that Rocked 8.5/10

Love the film, always enjoy seeing it, its a great piece of british rebelliousness for me to watch. With some great actors in it and comedy.

Gotta say, if i was born about 15 years earlier... i'd have been in my element lol. (70's = great music. 80's music = pure hatred for this generation of music and all it stands for. 90's = good music. 00's = meh mediocre, been some good one hit wonders but nothing to write home about)

X-Men: First Class, 7/10.

Let me preface this by saying this 7 is a good rating. The writing by the Thor writers, Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz (who were just at the MCM Expo) is pretty snappy and makes what could be a very clunky story into something that builds wonderfully whilst also fitting into the main continuity. In doing that, however, it did lose its organic storytelling and occasionally felt like Smallville because of it (Xavier being paraplegic). It's forgiveable because of how many nice character beats there are alongside the plot progression though, with one of my favourites being the meeting of Mystique and Charles in his kitchen. The dialogue was hamfisted but the moment works splendidly and I think that sequence will stay with me for a while yet.

That said, Mystique (I've been informed she isn't called Storm) is intriguing because her arc over the course of the film does work, but she flips her personality so much to match whatever the plot forces her to do it makes it somewhat lack lustre. The rest of the supporting cast is outstanding though, and I think everyone bar January Jones as Emma Frost (which is probably to do with the casting over the script) click fantastically into Matthew Vaughn's mutated '60s world. I hope James McAvoy goes to have an even bigger career now too, because his performance as Charles Xavier was such an unexpected highlight that I won't soon forget him.

Basically, I hadn't seen an X-Men movie proper till this one and for it's couple of problems and lack of 3D (!!!) I still feel like it was a fantastic movie and probably one of the most enjoyable and simple summer films to come out in a long time. I also have no idea what the cliffhanger meant, so a sequel would be nice too. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The last new movie I saw was Castle of Cagliostro

If I recall correctly this was Hayao Miyazaki's first movie as director, and I have to say it's a pretty strong directing debut, I almost see Lupin as being the Japanese Bond for some reason, perhaps it has to do with the plot of the movie or Lupin as a character (he must've rolled high on his Charisma), a fairly enjoyable movie that proves that just because you're animated it doesn't mean you can't have badass gunfights, the Count of Cagliostro was a fairly creepy bloke, although that adds to his charm as a villain

8/10

Again, sorry for the double post:

5 Centimetres Per Second

I saw the trailer on youtube not too long back and it intrigued me, many people were saying it was the best thing they've watched and how it has made many of it's viewers cry, but in all honesty, I felt a little underwhelmed by this movie, maybe it's because of the hype people were giving it, maybe it was the way in which the story was told (mostly via monologues of the main characters) or maybe it's because I can't relate to most of the characters, I have a feeling that unless you've experienced something similair to this film in your life you'll find it a tad hard to enjoy, perhaps this is one of those things that I need to rewatch at a later date in order to fully appreciate it.

On the plus side the art of this movie is fantastic, the folks behind this have put as much effort into their backgrounds as they have done with their characters, and the soundtrack is fantastic, some of the pieces such as the piano version of One More Time, One More Chance can easily rival the works of Hisaishi or Uematsu (he may not be a film composer, but his works in FF can easily surpass most movie soundtracks).

This movie is by no means bad, but it didn't strike close to home on an emotional level for me, or at the very least, not at this moment in time.

7/10

An Education 9/10

Brilliant, brilliant film. Great performances all round, interesting seeing a usually glamourous intellectual Rosamund Pike playing a bit of a ditz. Also Alfred Molina seems to be channelling David Mitchell.

Last night I watched Spirited Away for the first time.

It was a wonderful film with great characters and a wonderful story, which was ruined by the shoddiness of my DVD. I couldn't watch it with Japanese subtitles because they cut out after 10 minutes, and several times it cut into storyboard mode.

Ratings

Film: 10/10
Quality of DVD Manufacturing: 1/10.

Insidious

From the makers of Saw comes a traditional haunted house film? Well it felt traditional but that's because it was derivative of films like Poltergeist and numerous others but director James Wan marshals his resources to create a tight and enjoyable film. Not scary but creep with some well done elements in it.

8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back