Rate the Last Film You Watched

farzam1999

Great Teacher
Monday, April 22nd to Sunday, April 28th.

First Man [4K]
First time watching this one, and I gotta say, they did a really good job on it. I really liked that they made the film look very grainy, and "older". My only problem was with Gosling (again...), I don't know if he is just like this, but he was the same way in Drive. Just "dry", felt like there was no emotions, at all. The first act was kinda meh, but the second and (especially) the third act made up for it. The 4K disc looked gorgeous as well. 7.5/10.

Avengers - Endgame [CINEMA]
Gonna put it in spoilers, but I ain't spoiling anything, just in case someone is trying to avoid reading anything on this at all.

11 years, 22 movies. It has all lead to this point. It's the moment all us Marvel fans has been waiting for.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would advise fans to go watch it, it's really good. But yeah, in terms of a superhero film, it's a good one. I feel like IW did a better job at well being a "war/fight" film. This movie was the "end", it had to show the aftermath of the events of IW and how they were going to fix it.
Some of the characters were a bit underused (no wonder with such a HUGE cast and "only" 3 hours to cover them all"). It was a fanservice superhero flick basically, I enjoyed it though.
Nevertheless, great way to end this journey. 9/10.

Tried to watch, but dropped:
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Colorful
Death Proof/Planet Terror
Street Fighter II

Last edited:
Reactions: WMD

WMD

Brigade Leader
Monday, April 22nd to Sunday, April 28th.

First Man [4K]

Avengers - Endgame [CINEMA]

Tried to watch, but dropped:
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Colorful
Death Proof/Planet Terror
Street Fighter II
Interesting what you say about Gosling. That's probably why Bladerunner is the only film I like him in.

Avengers is awesome. Seen it 3 times already and may well go again at some point. The box office records it's setting are insane. Over $1 billion in a weekend is mad!

Intrigued as to why you dropped Children who chase lost voices? Although it's my least favourite Shinkai film I still enjoyed it.

farzam1999

Great Teacher
Interesting what you say about Gosling. That's probably why Bladerunner is the only film I like him in.

Avengers is awesome. Seen it 3 times already and may well go again at some point. The box office records it's setting are insane. Over $1 billion in a weekend is mad!

Intrigued as to why you dropped Children who chase lost voices? Although it's my least favourite Shinkai film I still enjoyed it.
BR2049 is my favourite film with him, he acts very well in that one, at least shows some emotions.

I think Endgame is going to shatter every (good/positive) record possible lol.

I think it started out good, but just "fell apart" later on. Gonna stick with Ghibli with these kind of films. Only other Shinkai film I watched was Your Name, so that makes it my favourite.

WMD

Brigade Leader
I think it started out good, but just "fell apart" later on. Gonna stick with Ghibli with these kind of films. Only other Shinkai film I watched was Your Name, so that makes it my favourite.
Fair enough. Although Your Name is probably objectively his best film I've always preferred A Place Promised in Our Early Days. That was the first of his films I saw and it blew me away the first time I saw it.

Professor Irony

Railgun
AUKN Staff
Much as I think Ryan Gosling is often typecast for his emotionless tough guy schtick, he does seem surprisingly capable in comedy roles when the material is right - he's an unexpectedly great double act with Russell Crowe in The Nice Guys.

farzam1999

Great Teacher
Monday, April 29th to Sunday, May 5th.

Slow week for me, only one title.

Dragon Ball Super - Broly [Blu-ray]
My first time watching this, as they didn't show it here in the cinema in Denmark. I think it's great that Broly is now a canon character, and the fact that Goku/Gogeta didn't go Ultra Instinct was good, as that high of a power wasn't needed. The story was alright, but the 45 minute non-stop fighting was pure awesome.
I really liked the art style, and I'm hoping when Super return, they use something in style with the movie. The animation itself was also good enough. There was one point though where it got very CG heavy (imo at least), so it kinda looked like it was from FighterZ lol.
All in all, a great Dragon Ball experience 9/10.

Winkuru

School Idol
Anyone else got tickets for Detective Pikachu? They're up for sale now.
I just got back from seeing it and i thought it was completely forgettable. Barely any of the humor worked and the jokes flowed pretty poorly. There was forced and cliched drama but no characters to be cared about so towards the end the "dramatic" scenes started to feel tiring. Pikachu did look good and that's a plus but that's pretty much all it had going for. If i had to go by this i would say that pokemon's don't work very well done in live action when it comes to feel of the world. It didn't feel very pokemonish (and i'm not saying this because there weren't any trainers)

I was also kinda surprised at the end when it looked like the two main human characters would hook up later because there were zero chemistry between them. It does btw say alot about the characters in the film that i can't remember their names.

The main guy should be "Harry's Son" in the credits.

But despite all of that it was still watchable in theaters but if i had seen this on blueray there's a good chance i would have hated it.

farzam1999

Great Teacher
Monday, May 6th to Sunday, May 12th.

Two for me this week.

Cast Away [Blu-ray]
It's was way too long since I last saw this film and I was reminded of how great it actually was! - Hanks was absolutely great in this, awesome performance. It's a classic! - will always be. 8/10.

The Big Boss
[Blu-ray]
I managed to watch this one last night, it was the second time I watched it, but the first time was without english subs, so I didn't completely know what it was about. It doesn't top Enter the Dragon for me, but still a great martial arts film! 8/10.

Aaron

Dragon Knight
I watched Rampage last night. It wasn't bad - I think you know what to expect from a movie starring The Rock and this ticked all the boxes.

A load of buildings/aircraft got blown up, there were giant monsters and comical pantomime-style baddies. Dwayne was absolutely invincible through the whole thing. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was really good in it too.

Big, daft fun - 6/10

Mr L

Student Council President
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

Not exactly a hard achievement but yes, I'd call it the vest video game movie. The realisation of the Pokémon is live action is spot on. Every Pokémon whether cute or creepy are realised perfectly and the humour used always laughs with the franchise rather than at it. The plot isn't ground-breaking but does its job. Ryan Reynolds is very witty and energetic if a tad too much of the latter at time when his dialogue should have been cut a bit shorter. As well as bringing the series into live action, the style of writing is pretty refreshing for the franchise who's storytelling has been stuck in the strictly kids amine mold for most of its existence. Its good to see it branching out and taking risks like this. I can see many moments where the movie rely on fan knowledge to make an impact which might be lost on some people. A pity as most of them could have easily been solved with just some prior set-up or explanation. Certainly see it if you're familiar with the franchise, bring kids, the young relative I brought really enjoyed it despite limited knowledge of the source. And if you really aren't into Pokémon, its inoffensive at worst. I realky hope to see more of these.
Also, the lead female character of the movie gives a performance that's like watching an anime character who's escapex from the drawings abd is now trying to adjust to reality. Whether you enjoy her or not will really depend on your temperament but seriously, all she needs is some Alita eyes and a few frames cut whenever making sudden movements.

8/10

Last edited:

farzam1999

Great Teacher
Monday, May 13th to Sunday, May 19th.

Big week for me, as I held my 5th annual Star Wars viewing with my friend. 7 movies, two days. We skipped the prequels as he dislikes them a lot.

Aces Go Places II [Blu-ray]
After watching the first one, which I found to be very funny, I tried out the second one, but had to wait for a time to watch it with my brother as he enjoyed them as well. At first I was a bit let down by it, as it had a lot of robots and stuff that was really unatural. But the comedy really really really made up for it, as I found myself laughing a hell of a lot. It was way too long since I've done that. Great comedy, not so great story. 6.5/10.

Fireworks [Blu-ray]
Second time watching this one, the first time was on loan from my local library. The blu-ray looked really good, but had some moments where the PQ was a bit too smooth. I was remembered how much I acutally like Kitano's way of directing. I'm hoping to find Violent Cop for a reasonable price. 8/10.

Solo - A Star Wars Story [4K]
I found this one to be good, first time watching on 4K and it looked gorgeous. It had a lot of dark scenes, which made it hard to see what was happening. Good story, and I liked that we got to see Han's backstory (and the Kessel run!). Alden was very good as the character, and captured Han's personality very well imo. 7/10.

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story [Blu-ray]
My favourite of the two anthology films, as it shows the more "gritty" side of what the Rebellion had to go through, not only to get the Death Star plans, but also what happened beforehand. Now I'm just hoping for a Obi-Wan anthology film. 7.5/10, not that much higher rating than the previous, but I enjoyed this more because of the whole story.

Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope [Blu-ray]
Man, I love this film. Everything is just soooo good, other than I had to sit through the 2011 version, it was alright. By far my favourite SW of all time. 9/10.

Star Wars - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back [Blu-ray]
Everyone (well almost everyone) always say that this is the best SW ever, but I find it to be the most boring of the Original Trilogy, but by each year I appreciate it more and more. We get to see Yoda, Vader is Luke's father, the Emperor and much more. 8/10.

Star Wars - Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi [Blu-ray]
A great film with an awesome ending to the trilogy. I liked the last scenes were Luke was a bit troubled about the light and the dark. Really great acting from all parts. 8.5/10.

Star Wars - Episode VII - The Force Awakens [Blu-ray]
My first time watching a SW movie in the cinema was this one, can't believe it's almost been 4 years since the release. I think I saw it around 4 times in cinema, and the first time people clapped and cheered when the credit came on. I like the approach that Abrams had to the movie, I just could do without the Star Trek-ish lensflares and the quick zoom-ins. Other than that it was very good. 8.5/10.

Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi [4K]
I actually liked this one, unlike a lot of fans who were split on it. The big thing that put me off was ALL the comedy... Like there was way too much of it. The whole Canto Bight story was not needed for, and if it was they didn't need to show all the "comedic" stuff. The scene were Ren and Rey fight the red guards was just too awesome, I just couldn't... Also the scene with Holdo going lightspeed/hyperspace into Snoke's ship was just omggggg, also beautiful shots. 7.5/10.

Dunkirk [4K]
First time watching this one, I found it to be okay. War films hasn't been so much to my taste at all before, and this was not different, jus too boring for me. The PQ was gorgeous though, great use of IMAX too. 6.5/10.

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff

John Wick 3: Parabellum (dir. Chad Stahelski)
A great addition to the John Wick franchise, but I don't know how I feel with regards to its conclusion. The first two films had some form of closure in terms of those story arcs but this one felt like a two-parter rather than a standalone addition to the franchise, especially given what happens at the end of the middle act and the final act. That aside the fight scenes were really good, but select parts overstayed its welcome, most notably during the final act. Overall I am looking forward to Chapter 4, but I don't think Chapter 3 is the best in the series so far.

3.8/5

Rocketman (dir. Dexter Fletcher)
A biographical film about the life of musician Elton John. Taron Egerton did a really good job portraying his character and even sang the songs which were pretty close to Elton's voice (it even helped that Taron did some Elton related stuff prior, most notably singing I'm Still Standing in the animated film Sing!). The child actors did a great job as well which is something that can be hard to pull off in a film like this. The pacing is pretty solid though it did get a bit messy in places during the second half but the conclusion overall I'm satisfied with. This film is better than Bohemian Rhapsody, which suffered from pacing issues, a cartoonish villain and inaccuracies within its story. There is a villain of sorts like the one on BR, but it's not shoved in your face that much and is handled much better. I don't see this film doing well in the box office because of Aladdin and Godzilla II so if you have some spare time, give this film a shot.

4.5/5