Rate the Last Film You Watched

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
Monday, July 15th to Sunday, July 21st.

Venom [4K]
Fun film to be honest, it was my first viewing this one. Think it's more of a guilty pleasure situation here. Hardy was great and fun, Venom had a personality lol. I thought it was really fast paced though, like it didn't feel like 2-ish hours by the end. Visuals were also great. 6.5/10.

I didn't quite catch it, but what did they do so it couldn't be tied in with the other Marvel films?

Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse [4K]
Went blind into this one, only heard all the great reviews it had gotten. I was pleasantly surprised with it! - all the characters were awesome. Boy, the animations and everything was beautiful! - the HDR made the colours really pop too. 8.5/10.

Police Story 3 - Supercop [Blu-ray]
The second best of the first three films, right after the first one. It had a whole other take on the Police Story story (LOL!) in my opinion, and felt different. But in a really good way! JC did some really awesome stunts, and the new 4K restoration was gorgeous. Really wish it didn't have so much issues with the license abroad, so Eureka could do a release of it. But hey, it's better than the old release! 9/10.

Also kept my US release of Supercop, mostly because of the nostalgia as it's one of my first JC films I watched. Apparently I used to rush into my brother's room (while he was sleeping) and just shouting Fu Sheng into his ear lol.

2001 - A Space Odyssey [4K]
Had only watched this one time before, with my other brother and I didn't remember too much of it. Same brother bought it for my birthday, the US 4K release. PQ was really good, and the colours as well. The film was on a whole other level, don't think there's much to be said. It wasn't as long as I expected, given it's a ~50 year old film. 8.5/10.

WMD

Great Teacher
Venom [4K]
Fun film to be honest, it was my first viewing this one. Think it's more of a guilty pleasure situation here. Hardy was great and fun, Venom had a personality lol. I thought it was really fast paced though, like it didn't feel like 2-ish hours by the end. Visuals were also great. 6.5/10.

I didn't quite catch it, but what did they do so it couldn't be tied in with the other Marvel films?
Basically it's a sony film without marvel involvement. From a sony point of view it occupies the same space as Tom hollands spider man and they have the option to use Holland in a future venom film. From a marvel perspective if venom had done well enough they'd have brought hardy into the mcu. At this point point either or neither could still happen.

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
Monday, July 22nd to Sunday, July 28th.

Small week, as I focused more on anime.

Deadpool 2 [4K]
I had watched the first one quite a while ago, but never got around the second one. So I bought both of them during Black Friday 2018. It was honestly good, the jokes were funny and the story as well. I liked it, great characters. It was a bit more violent than the first one imo, or I don't remember the first all that well lol. 7.5/10.

Winkuru

School Idol
Well the first forgettable in my opinion. It's not bad but it's not all that good either. The second otherhand was much funnier and i laughed my ass off when team went out.

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
It was really funny, but it's been a long time since I watched the first and can't remember any of the jokes lol.

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
So I decided to make a goal by trying to go through as many Asian films as I can throughout this month. For Day One I selected Departures.

Departures (Okuribito [おくりびと]) is a 2008 Japanese film directed by Yōjirō Takita. The story is the main focus of the film, which follows a cello musician who loses his job and ends up finding another one that focuses on funerals. It's an intriguing concept but what really got me emotionally invested was how you experience the whole process. You watch as he slowly understands how the job works and how much it impacts the people around him. There are a lot of scenes throughout this film that goes through the process and worth of caution it may upset some folks if it's too close to home (the BBFC even mentioned it in their mini description box). Regardless this film is very good, if not excellent, as it ends on a rather surprising but satisfying note. The music, composed by Joe Hisaishi (Studio Ghibli, Ni no Kuni) is also beautiful with its classical tunes that fit the atmosphere of the scenes and also our main character who is a musician also. The film won the Best Foreign Language Film award at the 81st Academy Awards also. In terms of flaws you could nitpick on the interaction between the relationship between the main character and his wife around the halfway point onwards, but personally I see this more as a 'show don't tell' case because while she has her concerns you can see her coming into terms of how and why he's decided to keep his job without saying anything..

Departures is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Academy.

4.5/5

Here's a brief look at what films I'll try and check out throughout this month:
Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures

To Watch:
  • Before We Vanish
  • Blue Spring
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dead or Alive 2: Birds
  • Dead or Alive: Final
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Wolf Guy: Burning Wolf Man
  • Yakuza Law

Last edited:

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Day Two of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Before We Vanish.

Before We Vanish (Sanpo Suru Shinryakusha [散歩する侵略者]) is a 2017 Japanese film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. It's a science fiction film that has elements of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Pulse mixed alogether, and overall the concept is pretty good and kinda unique. The story is rather non-existant since the main focus is all about the character development of one of the main aliens in the film. It's interesting to watch how he understands the concepts that he grabs throughout the film and what actions he eventually decides to take as the film progresses. It's not a perfect film unfortunately as the story does go a bit off the rails in its final moments with results in a lot of exposition. The CG is also pretty noticeable and makes the film feel a bit dated at times which is a shame considering this came out pretty recently and that Pulse (one of the director's previous films) had CG which was handled much better and that came out back in the early 00s. Overall Before We Vanish is still interesting to check out but the long runtime may bother you a bit given its rather slow pace throughout.

Before We Vanish is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

3/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#02 - Japan - Before We Vanish

To Watch:
  • Blue Spring
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • The Human Condition Part I: No Greater Love
  • The Human Condition Part II: Road to Eternity
  • The Human Condition Part III: A Soldier's Prayer
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Woman is the Future of Man
  • Yakuza Law

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Day Three of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Blue Spring.

Blue Spring (Aoi haru [青い春]) is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Toshiaki Toyoda and based on the manga of the same name from Taiyo Matsumoto (Ping Pong, Tekkonkinkrett). It's a slice of life sort of film that goes through the lives of a couple young high school boys during their time at school. There isn't that much of a story to this film, but what keeps me intrigued are the characters. At first I was a bit confused on what exactly the film is trying to do, but looking back it's basically an anthology film with mini-stories presented throughout, for instance one person deals with how he feels about losing his baseball match, while another is not happy with the new boss of the group not doing the job that he had imagined. It's bits and pieces presented and the runtime is spot-on for what is being covered, because any longer it would have dragged and ruined the pace. Overall it's a good film and certainly a cult classic of sorts among the Asian Cinema line-up. The music is also pretty neat with its late 90s/early 00s style rock music.

Blue Spring is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Third Window Films.

3.5/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#03 - Japan - Blue Spring

To Watch:
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Day Four of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Boksuneun Naui Geot [복수는 나의 것]) is a 2002 South Korean film directed by Park Chan-wook and is the first film in his Vengeance trilogy. I honestly didn't know much about the story for this film so it caught me by surprise how the director has presented the story. For starters, there's barely any dialogue for a lot of the scenes as one of the characters is deaf. Regardless you can understand what's going on as the film progresses. I'm not going to give away any more plot details for this one because the story goes into a very interesting direction (it's nothing insane or over-the-top, but it's one of those stories that makes you think a bit when you finish watching). The violence is pretty good too. Overall, great revenge film and while I find Oldboy to be a much better film story and tension wise, it's still worth checking out.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Palisades Tartan and soon to be available from Arrow Video.

3.75/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#04 - Korea - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

To Watch:
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Terra Formars
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
Monday, July 29th to Sunday, August 4th.

Once Upon a Time in China [Blu-ray]
I blind bought the Eureka release earlier last month and got around watching the first 3 in the box last week. I was impressed by these overall, I never thought they were something for my taste. I was never a big fan of Li, but he quite a good actor. I liked the story and the whole setting. 8/10.

Once Upon a Time in China 2 [Blu-ray]
Easily my least favourite of the first 3 (I'm watching China and America as I'm typing this, so not quite sure yet). The story was very politically driven imo, but redeemed itself with a lot of the martial art scenes. Donnie Yen was also in this one, I just wish he had a bigger role. But overall, still a good film. The PQ wasn't as good as the first, but they're all a lot better than the usual Hong Kong movies. 7/10.

Once Upon a Time in China 3 [Blu-ray]
I liked this one a bit better than the first, since it had more martial arts but also had a better story. PQ was the same as the second, with varying quality. Overall, the sound quality has been very good in the first three films as well. 7.5/10.

Bumblebee [4K]
I had been looking forward to watching this one as the first three Transformers are guilty pleasures for me (haven't watched the fourth and the fifth on yet). I enjoyed it a lot, it had some great action scenes and the story was great. The CG was good, but a bit dodgy 1 or 2 times. There seemed to be a bit delay in the audio on the 4K disc, which I did some research on and people were having the same issue, so I contacted Paramount and want to see if they can send me one of their replacement discs. 8/10.

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Day 5 of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Terra Formars.

Terra Formars [テラフォーマーズ] is a 2016 Japanese film directed by Takashi Miike and is based on the manga series of the same name. Unlike the anime's TV series (outside of the OVAs exclusive to the manga volumes), this film adapts the beginning of the story that sets up the story i.e. volume 1 of the manga. Volume 1's story is relatively simple and the film does a good job for the most part of getting through the events, though Miike has decided to add some original stuff into the mix like a villain of sorts back on Earth which I don't recall ever being a thing in the manga. His character is annoying and imposing. There's also a mix of English dialogue on some scenes which I find to be weird but also out of place (there was one moment that felt like it was dubbed in). The CG for the cockroaches I actually thought was pretty solid but everything else is very noticeable. I did find it funny how they even kept in the commentary that the manga and anime had during the bug abilities. Overall it's an alright film, though I would say go for the anime version instead (saying that Viz Media never managed to acquire the OVAs which is disappointing).

Terra Formars is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

2/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#05 - Japan - Terra Formars

To Watch:
  • Dark Water
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Day 6 of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Dark Water.

Dark Water (Honogurai Mizu no soko kara [仄暗い水の底から]) is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Hideo Nakata and is based on a short story written by Koji Suzuki. Both the director and the original writer worked on Ring so it was interesting to see the two collaborate once again. Dark Water is a film that I honestly didn't hear that much about compared to Ringu or Ju-on but it was known to be among the big J-Horror titles of its time. After watching the film it certainly lives up to its name as one of the big horror films of Japan. Like Ring, Dark Water is a psychological film but it focuses more on the drama surrounding our main female protagonist. I found her character to be believable, as she is someone who simply wants to do her best to keep her young daughter. Like Ring there really isn't that much in terms of jump scares but it does offer a sense of unsettling scenes that make you go 'oh boy' especially during its final act. Overall Dark Water was a very enjoyable horror film that is worth checking out. If I had to nitpick, it's not that scary but it's got a good consistent tone throughout.

Dark Water is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

4/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#06 - Japan - Dark Water

To Watch:
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law

Last edited:
Reactions: HWR

HWR

Symphogear
AUKN Staff
Day 6 of my motivation to check out my live-action Asian cinema collection - I selected Dark Water.

Dark Water (Honogurai Mizu no soko kara [仄暗い水の底から]) is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Hideo Nakata and is based on a short story written by Koji Suzuki. Both the director and the original writer worked on Ring so it was interesting to see the two collaborate once again. Dark Water is a film that I honestly didn't hear that much about compared to Ringu or Ju-on but it was known to be among the big J-Horror titles of its time. After watching the film it certainly lives up to its name as one of the big horror films of Japan. Like Ring, Dark Water is a psychological film but it focuses more on the drama surrounding our main female protagonist. I found her character to be believable, as she is someone who simply wants to do her best to keep her young daughter. Like Ring there really isn't that much in terms of jump scares but it does offer a sense of unsettling scenes that make you go 'oh boy' especially during its final act. Overall Dark Water was a very enjoyable horror film that is worth checking out. If I had to nitpick, it's not that scary but it's got a good consistent tone throughout.

Dark Water is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Arrow Video.

4/5

Watched:
#01 - Japan - Departures
#06 - Japan - Dark Water

To Watch:
  • Dead or Alive
  • Dreams
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Ley Lines
  • Love Exposure
  • Orgies of Edo
  • Rainy Dog
  • Retaliation
  • Shinjuku Triad Society
  • Shoplifters
  • Street Mobster
  • Tale of Cinema
  • Thirst
  • Yakuza Law
I watched Dark Water with some friends and they really liked it, as did I. Still haven’t watched my Arrow Video copy though-maybe this October.

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
I watched Dark Water with some friends and they really liked it, as did I. Still haven’t watched my Arrow Video copy though-maybe this October.
Compared to Ring, Arrow's transfer for Dark Water is not the greatest (and could do with a new restoration) but it's overall I'm still amazed that my copy came with a booklet (you would think the booklet would be OOP by now).

HWR

Symphogear
AUKN Staff
Compared to Ring, Arrow's transfer for Dark Water is not the greatest (and could do with a new restoration) but it's overall I'm still amazed that my copy came with a booklet (you would think the booklet would be OOP by now).
I have heard that the transfer isn’t one of their best but I’m happy mine also came with a booklet.

Patient-X

Mad Scientist
I have heard that the transfer isn’t one of their best but I’m happy mine also came with a booklet.
Oh no, it's getting like Blu-ray.com in here with the obsession about booklets 🤪😛😅

HWR

Symphogear
AUKN Staff
Oh no, it's getting like Blu-ray.com in here with the obsession about booklets 🤪😛😅
I lurk around that thread, amongst others, sometimes. It often gets lively around new releases and the recent controversy of day one copies not having booklets!

Patient-X

Mad Scientist
I lurk around that thread, amongst others, sometimes. It often gets lively around new releases and the recent controversy of day one copies not having booklets!
I miss the good old days when all we cared about were slipcovers 😁