Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Oh, I'm chuffed to bits it's found a new fan! 😀

It's just great stupid fun. And don't even get me started on Negima!? I'm a big fan of that, too. I mean that in a good way*. 😛

* Recurring line from the show
Ha. I saw Negima!? before the original series and I love it. The Makie/daddy sub plot is so funny and has one of the best pay offs for a joke I've ever seen in a show.

I love how theres always a visual joke happening on screen whilst other stuff is happening. It's a lot like Pani Poni Dash in that way. Completely mad, hilarious and brilliant.

It actually made the original series something of a let down when I finally saw it.

I saw Negima!? before the original series and I love it.
I love how theres always a visual joke happening on screen whilst other stuff is happening.
It actually made the original series something of a let down when I finally saw it.
Same here, and I agree with all of the above! It's got so many great routines where two characters are playing off of each other. Zazie and Mana with their pun-offs spring to mind, as well as so many hilarious scenes featuring the pair of mascot characters, Shichimi and Moutsu. And then there's Takahata-sensei and Evangeline with their tea ceremony discussions... I could go on.

And yes, poor Moutsu was absolutely crushed when he learnt why Makie had been calling him "Otousan"! 😂
(I mean that in a good way.)

The series was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo at SHAFT, and very much carries the signature visual flourishes of his later works such as Madoka.

But yeah, the original series was absolutely blighted by that shockingly dark tonal shift towards its end. 😬
And I also seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the animation had to be corrected for the DVD release, including a cut where a character was drawn with six fingers on one hand.

You mentioned Sakamoto before, dude. Do you rate that? I've only seen a trailer for it, but I liked what I saw.

a cut where a character was drawn with six fingers on one hand.

Haha oh dear.

You mentioned Sakamoto before, dude. Do you rate that? I've only seen a trailer for it, but I liked what I saw

Yeah I found it really funny. I've only seen it the once but its definitely going to get a rewatch at some point and will probably become a comedy I watch from time to time.

Although Sakamoto is in essence the main character the show is almost always presented from the point of view of one his classmates which is a pretty interesting and unique way to do it. It's also fully committed to being absurd if it makes the joke better.

I didnt know anything about it when I got it so it was something of an unexpected joy for me.

I watched episode 73 of Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal earlier - it's the last episode of the first season in Japan, but halfway through "season 2" on the dub DVDs.

It's not a popular series, but I absolutely loved it. Yuma (the main character) can be very obnoxious (one of the main criticisms the series gets), but he mellows out and gets much less annoying as the series goes on.

There's a great supporting cast of characters, loads of cool monsters and a load of antagonists too. I thought it would be a comedy series, but there's a lot of serious stuff (by YGO standard, at least) and some sad parts too. The battles never drag on too long and the animation/character design is nice.

I really enjoyed watching it and I'll be starting the second half very soon - 9/10

Dragon Pilot

A quirky and original series about a young officer unexpectedly drawn in to the Japanese airforce's secret dragon division, this show could easily have been setting up for a combat-focused action adventure, but instead invites more comparison with the likes of Planetes or Patlabor, as it hones in on the comedy of errors springing from the hapless Hisone trying to forge a successful career for herself in a bizarre situation.

I was less keen on the more serious element of the story that creeps in for the last two or three episodes (it's very recognisably a Mari Okada work), but in the main, it's a fun and well animated series that deserves better than the lukewarm reception it seemed to receive in many quarters.

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail

A gun-rattling, scenery-chewing and pill-popping return to form for the Lagoon company, there is a strong sense that this marks the end of the Black Lagoon anime, but it is a fitting and well-played send-off, that sees lovable psychopath Roberta pick up her guns one last time to extract violent revenge on the people who killed her master.

It wasn't until I was listening to the AWO podcast the other day that I realised Sunao Katabuchi, the director of Black Lagoon, is also the man behind Mai Mai Miracle and In This Corner of the World, both of which have been hailed for their strong sense of place and attention to world building detail. This does make me wonder if it's his influence that really makes Black Lagoon for me. My experience with the manga is quite limited, but having read a few chapters after originally watching the series, I didn't think Roanapur ever quite felt like the expansive, bustling slum city it does in the anime.

It is interesting that the anime version's bittersweet ending diverges from the manga, however.
Originally Roberta made a full recovery, as opposed to in this version, where she makes it home at the cost of an arm, a foot and two fingers from her right hand. I suppose it adds a sense of gravity to the scene that might not have been there otherwise, but I can't imagine Rei Hiroe being too chuffed.

Last edited:
Fate Apocrypha

Solid entry to the Fate franchise this. Not as good as Zero but better then FSN. Probably ends up around UBW but for different reasons.

The animation is great. As the series goes on the battles become more tense with larger stakes the animation gets a fluid rough quality that's very reminiscent of Noein. As someone who loves that show it was nice to see that style.

It was interesting to see that this Fate series cares far more about the servants than masters. In the FSN stories the masters lead the story with their goals and ambitions and here they are completely irrelevant. It makes this series more like Drifters in that sense. Super powered demigods duking it out.

At least the servants are given, generally, good/interesting arcs, although there are so many characters in this version of Fate that several feel rushed. Too many characters is easily this shows biggest flaw. In trying to spice up the format they went bigger which isnt always better.

Ultimately I wished the show was presented much more from the perspective of Saber and their master. They were the most fun and interesting characters but were used more as plot devices for other, less interesting character's stories.

Animation, music, presentation and overall story were really good. Kinda wish the character focus was a little shifted.

Amagi Brilliant Park

As the title suggest this show is brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It manages to feel really charming and relaxing to watch whilst actually being quite a hectic and loud show. The cast is fun and memorable, the story is unique. It has a nice hook that gives a season arc whilst allowing each episode to be a stand alone story. It's also funny. I found myself breaking out into laughter several times. It's silly but it's fun and has several running gags that get a good pay off.

It's also interesting how no one is perfect. Everyone has a flaw or two they are fighting against. At a glance the main character seems like he might be a perfect isekei type. But he has his own demons hes battling against and putting on something of a front to get the job done. Hes certainly no one-man heroic army.

I cant believe it's taken me so long to finally watch this. I definitely feel like I'll be giving it a rewatch eventually. 8/10

Last edited:
Escaflowne

I love this series, great animation, music, story, characters, there's a few moments where it feels like it drags, or that certain characters are one dimensional, but it still holds up. 9/10

Also I forgot to watch the movie, so I'll have to get to that.

Kill la Kill

I'm catching up on all kindsa series and I didn't get around to finishing this one when it was on Netflix but I bought the blu-rays anyway, and it's awesome, I love how over the top it gets, even when it's trying to tell a serious story it's goofy as hell, I kinda wish it didn't end, but it's a perfect length, 24 episodes tells the story perfectly, the 25th episode isn't needed but it's just a little bonus thing, no big worry. 8/10

Heaven's Lost Property

One of the millions of series I've got from MVM's sales/DOTWs over the past few years and never got around to watching.

It was alright. Not amazing, but not appalling either. There was nowhere near as much fanservice as I expected. The main character was pretty gross, but most of the rest of the characters were nice enough (the standard neighbour/childhood friend girl was probably my favourite). The OP and the EDs were all really good. It was an OK way to pass some time - I don't regret watching it, but I probably wouldn't watch any future seasons. 6/10

Escaflowne

I love this series, great animation, music, story, characters, there's a few moments where it feels like it drags, or that certain characters are one dimensional, but it still holds up. 9/10

Also I forgot to watch the movie, so I'll have to get to that.

Kill la Kill

I'm catching up on all kindsa series and I didn't get around to finishing this one when it was on Netflix but I bought the blu-rays anyway, and it's awesome, I love how over the top it gets, even when it's trying to tell a serious story it's goofy as hell, I kinda wish it didn't end, but it's a perfect length, 24 episodes tells the story perfectly, the 25th episode isn't needed but it's just a little bonus thing, no big worry. 8/10

Very late to this post, but I think people were maybe kind of down on the escaflowne movie because it changes the tone and even the characters and adapts only the broadest strokes of the story. If you watch it without the expectation of it being in the same vein as the series, then it becomes much more enjoyable.

And it's a gorgeous, gorgeous piece of animation. I have the intro burned permanently into my brain, it is incredible. I really liked the movie, overall.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, first of all.

Watched Erased over the last two days.

I really liked it, it's a very tidy and small scale story, and I liked the main character's journey into becoming who he wanted to be. The supernatural twist to the series kept things interesting even if they didn't went too crazy with it. I suppose that could be seen as a plus.

It looked good, the main theme used throughout the series is beautiful and the conclusion is satisfying even if I wasn't expecting the relationship with the antagonist to be what it was. One thing that irked me was the amount of red herrings. It felt like it had a ton and it felt like a cheap way to defy the viewer's predictions.

Solid 8/10.

Sorry for the double post, first of all.

Watched Erased over the last two days.

I really liked it, it's a very tidy and small scale story, and I liked the main character's journey into becoming who he wanted to be. The supernatural twist to the series kept things interesting even if they didn't went too crazy with it. I suppose that could be seen as a plus.

It looked good, the main theme used throughout the series is beautiful and the conclusion is satisfying even if I wasn't expecting the relationship with the antagonist to be what it was. One thing that irked me was the amount of red herrings. It felt like it had a ton and it felt like a cheap way to defy the viewer's predictions.

Solid 8/10.
It's a real gem of a show Erased. I'm a big fan of who-done-its anyway and the supernatural twist in this show really spiced things up. It was a good mix of some stuff I was able to predict and some stuff I didnt see coming.

It's a real gem of a show Erased. I'm a big fan of who-done-its anyway and the supernatural twist in this show really spiced things up. It was a good mix of some stuff I was able to predict and some stuff I didnt see coming.

That's an extremely apt description, actually.

Next post in this thread for me should be Made In Abyss. The world is crazy interesting, at first glance.

Alright, as promised: Made In Abyss.

This is a weird one for me. Reading some general impressions I was expecting something despair inducing like Berserk or Madoka, and that seems like a widespread sentiment...? Correct me on that if I'm wrong. The point is, it really wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, and judged by itself, I'm not convinced it's that remarkable. This may change with time and a rewatch, but for all the enticing mystery and superb world-building (and it is superb, make no mistake), this feels more like laying the foundation than something that can be fully appreciated on its own.

I am curious about Reg, Lyza, the other white whistles and the Abyss and its effects (I love the way it looks and works so much), but from the moment only Reg and Riki leave in their adventure, you kinda know not a lot can happen to them because neither one nor the other could go far without each other.

The last couple of episodes surprised me in that Riko finally suffers the consequences of her thirst for adventure in such a perilous place, even if it's in a less severe way than I was expecting. The other thing that surprised me was Mitty. They held nothing back and I admit a few of her flashback scenes made me sick to my stomach. But the thing is that I can't judge an entire series based on its last two episodes.

The series looks great, sounds beautiful and has some nice moments of animation. Something I appreciated also is the clear feeling you get that the world is uncaring for our protagonists, even if, again, I don't see either being in any true danger so soon.

I don't know. I don't know if it's just a 7 or an 8. I don't know if knowing what happens next in the manga would make me appreciate it more or not. I do know that I want to watch the movie. But I watched this on Netflix because I was interested in the MVM set and I still don't know if I want to buy it or not. If it becomes something exquisite to my eyes, I will be annoyed at myself for having missed a CE for the first part of a great series.

Im going with a solid 7 for now. I'll maybe re-watch down the road.

Apologies for the disgustingly long post.

This is a weird one for me. Reading some general impressions I was expecting something despair inducing like Berserk or Madoka, and that seems like a widespread sentiment...? Correct me on that if I'm wrong. The point is, it really wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, and judged by itself, I'm not convinced it's that remarkable. This may change with time and a rewatch, but for all the enticing mystery and superb world-building (and it is superb, make no mistake), this feels more like laying the foundation than something that can be fully appreciated on its own.

I am curious about Reg, Lyza, the other white whistles and the Abyss and its effects (I love the way it looks and works so much), but from the moment only Reg and Riki leave in their adventure, you kinda know not a lot can happen to them because neither one nor the other could go far without each other.

The last couple of episodes surprised me in that Riko finally suffers the consequences of her thirst for adventure in such a perilous place, even if it's in a less severe way than I was expecting. The other thing that surprised me was Mitty. They held nothing back and I admit a few of her flashback scenes made me sick to my stomach. But the thing is that I can't judge an entire series based on its last two episodes.

The series looks great, sounds beautiful and has some nice moments of animation. Something I appreciated also is the clear feeling you get that the world is uncaring for our protagonists, even if, again, I don't see either being in any true danger so soon.

I don't know. I don't know if it's just a 7 or an 8. I don't know if knowing what happens next in the manga would make me appreciate it more or not. I do know that I want to watch the movie. But I watched this on Netflix because I was interested in the MVM set and I still don't know if I want to buy it or not. If it becomes something exquisite to my eyes, I will be annoyed at myself for having missed a CE for the first part of a great series.

I'd say she manga makes you appreciate the plot more, though the art gets a bit messy at times with large blotches all over the pages, can be quite unclear to know what you're looking at sometimes, but it's still as beautifully set as what's covered in the anime, I would love to see how the rest looks animated

Dont forget theres a film in japan next month, based on the end of volume 4 and pretty much all of volume 5. If you hate bondrewd now, you'll be praying for a time where Abyss Still had a bit of it's cute charm when the film comes along...

I guess I was lucky in that I saw the show knowing nothing and without any outside influence. For me the way the show juxtaposes the cutesy art style and happy go lucky attitudes of the early part of the show with the horror and brutality in the last 4 episodes (which to be fair is a third of the show) was really striking for me.

It really highlighted what was, to me at least, a major theme of the show which was: how far is a person willing to go, and even forsake themselves and their humanity, to achieve their goal.

This is the question the show is always posing Riku from the landscape and the creatures posing challenges to her to Ozen much more literally asked the question. You then have Reg, Nanachi and Mitty who are all in their own way asking the same question of Riku. Reg begins with no humanity and no goal. Mitty has had her physical humanity forcibly stolen but remains able to care even if they can no longer move forward and Nanachi is trapped in stasis emotionally unable to push forward trapped by their remaining humanity.

For me the show was an easy 9 and I cant wait to see what transpires. For the record I have still avoided the manga and will probably just follow this in the anime form. For the time being at least.

I'd say she manga makes you appreciate the plot more, though the art gets a bit messy at times with large blotches all over the pages, can be quite unclear to know what you're looking at sometimes, but it's still as beautifully set as what's covered in the anime, I would love to see how the rest looks animated

Dont forget theres a film in japan next month, based on the end of volume 4 and pretty much all of volume 5. If you hate bondrewd now, you'll be praying for a time where Abyss Still had a bit of it's cute charm when the film comes along...

Yeah, I took a look at one of the PVs for the movie, and it looks like we're getting an intimate look at Bondrewd's experiments.... I've seen talk about "THAT ONE SCENE", so I'm guessing the kiddie wheels are definitely coming off of the series! Very curious to see more of that dude, for sure.

I guess I was lucky in that I saw the show knowing nothing and without any outside influence. For me the way the show juxtaposes the cutesy art style and happy go lucky attitudes of the early part of the show with the horror and brutality in the last 4 episodes (which to be fair is a third of the show) was really striking for me.

It really highlighted what was, to me at least, a major theme of the show which was: how far is a person willing to go, and even forsake themselves and their humanity, to achieve their goal.

This is the question the show is always posing Riku from the landscape and the creatures posing challenges to her to Ozen much more literally asked the question. You then have Reg, Nanachi and Mitty who are all in their own way asking the same question of Riku. Reg begins with no humanity and no goal. Mitty has had her physical humanity forcibly stolen but remains able to care even if they can no longer move forward and Nanachi is trapped in stasis emotionally unable to push forward trapped by their remaining humanity.

For me the show was an easy 9 and I cant wait to see what transpires. For the record I have still avoided the manga and will probably just follow this in the anime form. For the time being at least.

You're right, it's still a significant part of the series, but I still don't know if I can paint the whole thing as being as interesting as the last few episodes. Personally, I was always waiting for some kind of really shocking thing to happen, and it never did, so yeah, it's possibly a case of me managing my expectations the wrong way.

On the other hand, it was this constant, natural evolution of **** hitting the fan, so when it happened, I was like "OK I'm a bit surprised, but at the same time, this is the kind of world they're in, and they've never hidden it". If they keep this level of drama and consequence from now on, I'm more than happy to just treat the first season as a somewhat long, world-establishing, necessary part of the whole thing.

I am **** at interpreting themes and I am unfortunately not intelligent enough to take things at more than face value most of the time, so those tidbits about characters and their humanity are appreciated.

I am still interested in what comes of this and I'm open to a rewatch, so it did something right for me.

Here we go, double posting again. Eagerly anticipating the incoming ban 🤷‍♂️

Done with Garden of Sinners, watched it all over the course of a week or so.

This is my first experience with anything Nasuverse outside of Fate, so it was pretty interesting seeing the same terms and some concepts, mostly related to magic, mentioned in a different context and with a different tone (closer to the Heaven's Feel movies, which I appreciate very much).

The murder mystery structure of the whole thing is very enticing, even if it's not very action heavy (there's always some fighting to be had in every movie, with the exception of the final one, though). Add to that a romance story between two ultimately interesting characters (I really love Kokutou and appreciated that Shiki was the action hero of the pair) and you get a sometimes slow paced, but always entertaining series.

On the visual side of things, you have a very somber and violent tone, and an almost palpable sense of place with detailed backgrounds and the colors used to depict the many dangerous-looking alleys, hospitals, buildings, roads, etc. . I was very impressed with the overall visual identity of the movies.

Animation is competent throughout and character design achieves what it wants to whilst avoiding any excess, generally.

The story around a murder mystery presented out of order may seem confusing at first but you get enough information throughout each movie to be able to fill in the gaps, so the choice to present events out of chronological order proves to be the right one.

All in all 8/10 for the entire thing.

Possibly talking about Yuri on Ice or Terror in Resonance next, depending on which I finish first... And if I have the will to write something 😰

Ergo Proxy

It’s been a couple of weeks since I finished this show, but it’s taken me a while to really gather my thoughts on it.

Even if I don't feel it always quite succeeds in what it sets out to do, Ergo Proxy is a work of distinctive and original vision, that I think sets it apart from the general milleu of sci-fi anime. It did, however, take me a couple of attempts to get into it, partly because I think the many, many outlets that label it as ‘cyberpunk’ consistently lead me to believe the show would go down a path that it patently has no interest in.

While the first episode certainly has all the trappings of a cyberpunk thriller, the series quickly diverges from the usual anti-corporate ‘high tech/low lives’ tropes to go off on a journey more akin to Greek myth than hard boiled detective fiction. Even its philosophical considerations are quite different, picking up on gnostic ideas of personal theological enlightenment rather than the typical transhumanist dilemmas. In literary terms, it feels closer to the sort of thing J.G. Ballard used to turn out, rather than William Gibson. Anime wise, I think it’s more Galaxy Express than Ghost in the Shell.

Unforunately, it’s less accessible than a lot of its contemporaries. It wrongfoots the viewer about what its narrative intentions are on quite a few occasions along the way and at times proves wilfully obscure, dropping the audience into new situations without much warning and lacking the kind of straightforward core story that a lot of more challenging shows like to hang their stranger moments on.

Having persevered with it, however, I think it is still quietly rewarding to watch Re-L and Vincent stagger across their peculiar post-apocalyptic landscape; their journey is rarely predictable and the show always seems to have a fresh take on what they find along the way. Despite its typically melancholic mood, the series also frequently indulges in whimsical little flourishes that really breathe life into its potentially drab setting. It's a shame that some of these weren't pushed a little more into the foreground, but things like the characters appearance on a gaudy gameshow, their cabin-fevered debate on how best to eat beans or the low-key nods to the French revolution in the background all help build its unique identity.

Not sure it's something I'd recommend to everyone, but I'm glad I came back and finished Ergo Proxy, it's the sort of thoughtful sci-fi adventure I wish we saw more often.

Back